close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Factory new? You make the call

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FifteenPlusOne, May 8, 2012.

1. FifteenPlusOne

FifteenPlusOne

I posted an ad in the marketplace here a few months ago seeking a G23 RTF2. I have since just purchased a standard Gen 3 G23 but I'm still on the lookout for one factory new in the box.

So I got an email this morning from a GT member (one with 0 posts) who asked if I was still looking for a G23 RTF2 because he had one "BNIB, never fired outside of the factory test firing".

I asked for some specific pictures, and this is what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys see?

At any rate, I'm not buying his story (or his pistol). I think my oldest Glock with a fairly high round count is in better condition than that thing.

2. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

What exactly is turning you off about it? Looks fine to me.

3. Rally Vincent

Rally Vincent Bipolar

4. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

It's hard to tell sometimes when they're used and maintained properly. FWIW it appears to be in good condition. Buying it would dependd on what he wants for it.

5. GTS197

GTS197

The pics are inconclusive.

Maybe, maybe not.

Looks to be in good shape though...what's he asking for it?

6. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

It looks to be in excellent condition and may very well be NIB. It looks like it's had rounds chambered but not necessarily fired besides the factory test-fire rounds because there's a good amount of brass residue on the pickup rail and some slight copper residue on the feed ramp. It's difficult to judge NIB or not by the copper lubrication as its distribution can vary quite a bit, some NIB Glocks barely have any while others can nearly be dripping with it. The wear on the slide stop could very well be from the slide being racked over and over with an empty magazine, the new slide stops don't take much to wear the finish off of. And the frame rails don't look like they've seen even 100 rounds.

What does it matter if it's NIB or it's had a couple hundred rounds through it as long as it's in excellent condition?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

If that is the model you want then jump on it, if you feel safe doing online deals that is. I've met and sold face to face, not sure if I'd do anything other than that.

8. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Looks good so buy it!!

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Copper anti-seize is still in place. If it has been fired, it has not seem very many rounds. The safety plunger also looks as if it
    has little to no wear.
    I'm betting it is unfired..........judging by the pics.

10. FifteenPlusOne

FifteenPlusOne

The question for me was whether or not it had actually not been fired since that was the claim he made. I see a lot of brass flakes on the slide and a good amount of brass scuffing on the stripper. more brass flakes around the ejection port. Looks like my Glocks do after a thier first range test-- not like when I pull them out of the box.

It comes down to a matter or principle... if it had been fired, he should just say so. And of course people always expect more money from a "factory new" firearm. No matter the count, five or 500, once it has rounds through it, it's a used firearm.

11. DeLo

DeLo

looks new to me but fishy to say never been fired and never shows the barrel.

12. iflyem1

iflyem1 Member

I just bought a G23 RTF w/Gills from a forum member here, also BNIB. The pics he sent me confirmed at least to me that it was BNIB. Ask for better pics also pics of the barrel.

13. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

American Guns had a line in the show that said "No gun gets sold here without being tested 1st by us."......... Mom asked so how do they sell it as a NEW gun?

Can't really tell anything from these pics. What does the barrel hood look like?

14. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I don't understand how some of you guys can just "see" the rails or safety plunger and say it's been fired a little or not at all. It's not like it'll have wear marks within a few hundred rounds, let alone 500/1000's. Maybe I'm missing something and I use superlube.

15. etrigan420

etrigan420

This.

Gun looks good otherwise, but the seller certainly could have taken better pics...

16. FifteenPlusOne

FifteenPlusOne

He was asking $600 for it. No pics of the hood. The barrel pics were inconclusive. Maybe the pics I uploaded to imageshack lost too much quality during the rescale but the massive amount of brass flakes o the inside and the thorough amount of brass left on the stripper were obvious to even my girlfriend.

I took out my carry G23 for comparison and it was laughable. I probably put 250 rounds through her since the last cleaning and it still had less brass than his "factory new" one.

17. dakrat

dakrat

cant tell from the pictures. but the factory grease seems to be where it should be :)

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

May because I've bought & sold around 20 Glocks, new & used,
    since 1989. If you are going to basically quote some one, use ALL
    the information that individual wrote not bits & pieces!

19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Well, the seller said it had never been fired - he never said it had never been loaded. There are plenty of people that buy brand new guns, chamber a cartridge and shove it in a drawer for home defense, having never fired the first shot through it. Perhaps he is one of those guys.....

20. FifteenPlusOne

FifteenPlusOne

Am I the only one who sees all the brass flakes littered all over the inside of the slide? And the "stripper"?-- The part of the slide that pulls the round from the mag into the chamber-- it looks like Glocks do after about 150 rounds.