close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fact or Internet BS?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Mar 23, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

There is no law to prevent private sales without a license, police issue “direction” on orders of Feds
    Steve Watson
    Infowars.net
    Monday, Jan 18, 2010
    [​IMG]The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is actively issuing directions banning private sales of guns without licenses at gun shows in Texas, despite there being no law to justify such demands.
    A caller to the Alex Jones show brought attention to BATF notices handed out at the entrance of theTexas Gun And Knife Show, on North Lamaar, in Austin this past weekend.

The flyers (pictured below) state that anyone selling a firearm “will be asked to comply with” conditions including operating through a licensed FFL dealer.

The notice also states that “Selling firearms in the parking lot will not be permitted.”

“The lady at the front desk used her ‘mommy voice’ to get everyone’s attention.” Scott from Austin told The Alex Jones show, noting that the owners of the private building where the gun show was held were contacted by the APD and the BATF and directed to hand out the notices.
    Scott also told listeners that a petition in protest of the directions was being handed around at the show.
    [​IMG]
    Other attendees posted the flyer on web forums. One poster noted:
    “Here is a public notice from a gun show in Austin, Texas this weekend. Do any fellow Texans know of any law changes that took effect recently that make person-to-person gun sales illegal? Has anyone else seen similar notices?”

“It was not handed out in the parking lot, it was posted at the entrance of the venue.” The forum user writes.

“I spoke with the man who runs the gun show and he said he was told on Thursday to post this (the gun show was Saturday and Sunday). Of course, the owner of the venue has the right to prohibit almost anything he wants on his property, but that’s not what this notice says. It says ‘at the direction of the Austin Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms’ and that’s what bothers me.”

The direction “asks” visitors to comply with its demands precisely because there is no law or regulation against private gun sales.

Infowars is in the process of arranging interviews with the Texas Gun Show operators for comments on this issue.

2. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Sorry, I can't speak on this issue in "legal" terms.

But it sounds as if it's just someone's "desire" and the way they want things done at that place and time, as opposed to "the law". Perhaps they sought "assistance" or "tips" from the PD?

I've heard nothing about any such "law". But what do I know?

3. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

Not saying anything about it being a law - it looked suspect, as in an internet myth....

4. Ragnar

Ragnar

Why don't they hand those out at gun shows when I attend? I'd love to tell a fed to pound sand while I sell a gun in the parking lot (yes, its legal).

5. netmage2112

netmage2112

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5323

Friday, January 22, 2010

NRA has received many inquiries about reports that the Austin, Texas Police Department and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tried to stop private gun sales at an Austin gun show.

It appears that these reports refer to a voluntary agreement concerning the transfer of firearms at the Austin gun show, evidently reached among law enforcement agencies, property owners and managers, and the gun show promoter in question. This was a self-imposed regulation, not a rule from the BATFE or an ordinance of the City of Austin.

NRA and our state affiliate, the Texas State Rifle Association, continue to research and investigate this matter--including examining whether this show was unfairly targeted.

Rest assured, we will inform our members of any new developments.

6. Ragnar

Ragnar

Then it sounds like the gun show promoter is a pansy-*** who needs a lesson.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

We had a looooooong thread about this back when it was new "news."

APD distributed the flyers to the patrons in an effort to get them to comply VOLUNTARILY with the wishes of the venue. It was generally decided it was a bad idea and looked too much like an "official" directive to be construed as a "request."

There is no law in Texas or any county/municipality that prohibits or even regulates private party intrastate sales.

Tempest, teapot.