Face shields...really?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Wojo88

Wojo88

Sounds good to me, how much brush was stuck to the face shield?

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I kicked up some wood chips and gravel that hit the shield. I wear eyeglasses, but have taken some real stingers to the face before. Trying to take the saplings down real close to the ground. Goggles tend to steam up on me, so just grabbed the grinding shield I have in the shed and it seems to work pretty good.

Doc Holliday, Wojo88 and flyover like this.

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

I really don’t know why I bother, but here’s an analogy.

Your buddy is shooting steel next to you with 357 magnum.

If you want “full protection (equiv of shield plus >N95)” you have to wear IIIA helmet, vest and behind a shield in case he turns and hits you directly with a round.

Is that necessary for standing next to him?

How much exposure will you reasonably get?

If his gun blows up or frags out of the cylinder gap, you might want eye protection and long sleeves.

If he frags off steel or ricochets off the steel target, you might also want eye protection and long sleeves.

Are long sleeves and sunglasses bulletproof? No.

But you are picking lighter duty protection for presumably lighter duty exposure.

Does anyone think that there is something magic about 6 feet of distance? No, it’s about reducing the impact of exposure to particles.

N95s and full face shields are for people going into harms way, like a SWAT. If your exposure is going to be less, like recreational shooting your protective gear doesn’t have to be as robust.

I’m still wearing safety glasses at the range. Masks and shields are like that. Just light duty protection and only protect against some things. Whether you choose to add that layer or protection for the amount of hassle, it’s your choice.

bruscifer and nursetim like this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes, they "do" comply with the Governor's/mayor's/store's "mask requirement" so you can buy groceries.

My wife uses them for that reason and because they don't fog her glasses, otherwise she wouldn't wear any mask. I wear one of these, which does about the same amount of good...roughly the same as everybody else's cloth mask.
    [​IMG]

5. Dave514

Dave514

Anything that reduces the inoculum by dissipating the viral load has the protentional to lessen the severity of infection in the host that's taking in the airborne viruses.

DrVlad likes this.
  6. Lampshade

Lampshade

Good point, masks do absolutely nothing to contain respiratory droplets and the viruses/microbes contained therein.

I'm sure the next time you have surgery, you will ask your surgeon not to wear one of those silly masks!

bruscifer likes this.
  7. Lampshade

Lampshade

Lets do a test.

I will spit and sneeze in your face with and without a face shield.

Let me know if you believe there is a difference in the amount of droplets contacting your mucous membranes.

8. Wojo88

Wojo88

rock_castle likes this.
  9. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

No he is just the social isolation world champion

flyover likes this.
  10. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

they're selling them at Costco now along with the masks. I saw them right as you walk in (promotion items). And wouldn't you know it, as I was walking in, some guy wearing both a mask and face shield was walking out.

rock_castle likes this.
  11. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

We are required to wear face shields or goggles with a N95 anytime we are working with patients.

bruscifer, -JCN- and flyover like this.
  12. racerford

racerford

What another reversal from the CDC. It is almost like they don't know what they are doing, are making pronouncements without sufficient evidence, or are swaying in the political breeze. If the changes were due to science, you would think they would do a better job of explaining that.

For those of you still believing all the numbers and words they are spewing forth, are you dizzy yet? Are you still 100% confident in what they are saying?

13. flyover

flyover

I haven't trusted Fauci since he made his "N95 masks don't do the public any good, save them for the medical personnel" speech.

14. Taz

Taz

Face shields have been in use by lots of people who want to protect their face from particulates. They aren’t magic but do serve a purpose. Don’t care how you spin it they don’t stop everything. Want to keep folks spittle, blood or other crap
    out of your face, they work.

nursetim likes this.
  15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Spray some air freshener in the room, then walk through the cloud with your plastic 'face shield' on...you'll catch SOME of it on the front of the plastic, but I guarantee you'll feel it hitting your face and you'll breathe it in, as it also comes around the sides and bottom of the shield.

Yea, real good protection there.

16. Lampshade

Lampshade

That is just as stupid as mocking nitrile gloves because blood can come in where the glove ends at your wrist, or seatbelts because you can still smack your head against the side window and be killed.

Nothing provides perfect protection.

bruscifer likes this.
  17. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Not really. If there was a lot of blood, it can certainly get into the glove, but the air will naturally 'wrap around' the sides of the plastic face shield and get to the interior. There is no protection. It's the same as if you walked down the street holding a square piece of plastic in front of you, it's just not going to stop air flow.

18. Lampshade

Lampshade

A face shield is not intended to prevent you from breathing in clouds of aerosolized particles. They are intended to protect your mucous membranes from larger droplets.

Saying a faceshield is worthless because it won't stop you from inhaling aerosols is like saying gloves are worthless because they won't stop blood from getting in your eye.

Its really not complicated.

nursetim likes this.
  19. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Well, we can go back and forth on this all day, but the bottom line is these 'face shields' won't stop the CoronaVirus because they filter NOTHING...but we've been told time and time again that an N95 mask WILL.

Anyhow, no one likes to hear they wasted their money on useless junk. They get embarrassed, then angry, so I see where you're coming from. Hopefully the 'feel-good shield' didn't cost you too much.

20. Dave514

Dave514

The point of the mask and face shields isn't to filter the air and prevent all the viruses from escaping a person's pie hole. I thought that was explained about 5 months back. They just work to block some of the spittle from flying directly into someone else's face.

bruscifer likes this.