Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Liberal groupthink is fueled by the "one size fits all" approach. We have a bit of a hot spot concentrated in Fairfield County on up the Merritt parkway into Hartford, the rest of the state is lightly touched. In my area we have a 99.99% chance of never encountering anyone with the virus or getting infected, yet we too must wear (ineffective) face coverings in stores, plus we've been physically distancing, properly washing hands and not touching our face, etc., for the past month. The odds of catching something here are so small that this seems like overkill for us. By contrast, it may not seem like overkill for somewhere like Stamford. How about designating a containment area around the actual hot spots early on, isolate the sick and compromised, and let those areas that are virtually unaffected get on with life? With Liberals it's always, "Punish everyone because of the few." I still believe a targeted approach would have been far more balanced than this business of panicking and shutting down everything.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It's the same argument. Do you trust people to use their own judgement or do you take away their freedom?
It’s not the same argument. I’ll say it again... IT IS FOR THIS INSTANCE ONLY. I trust no one that has no common sense. To me.... common sense says this disease is very bad. Use common sense to help. Dont think it’s ok to do whatever I want whenever I want to whomever I want.

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Registered
32,660 Posts
we don't shut the country down at flu season. Covids not as bad as hyped. Its time to go with the c sweedish model. High risk stay home, everyone else go about your business
How can you say this? It’s easier to spread, it sheds virus longer before symptoms appear, it’s peak state is an order of magnitude deadlier, we know this.

My problem with masks is not the wearing of them, but that inferior substitutes are beneficial and as good as proper masks, is the narrative being pushed by “our representatives”. The government is pissing on our boots and telling us it is raining and I cannot abide that.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It’s not the same argument. I’ll say it again... IT IS FOR THIS INSTANCE ONLY. I trust no one that has no common sense. To me.... common sense says this disease is very bad. Use common sense to help. Dont think it’s ok to do whatever I want whenever I want to whomever I want.
It is EXACTLY THE SAME ARGUMENT.

The argument is: "If just one life can be saved by doing/not doing X then the public should be forced to do/not do X regardless of if X violates any constitutional right."

X can be any of the following and many others:
must wear a mask at all times in public.
can not congregate in a church.
must turn in guns.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
I made a trip to the local Lowe's store-my son's freezer crapped out, he lives out of town and asked me to check with my store. Of course they were out.
But about 1/2 of the people there were wearing masks. The place was packed. I just avoided people (sans mask). I resisted the urge to slap people who were wearing them.

·
Diva extraordinaire
17,196 Posts
It’s not the same argument. I’ll say it again... IT IS FOR THIS INSTANCE ONLY.
Are you sure about that? So anytime .gov wants to take away our rights all they have to do is declare an emergency.

Do you trust .gov more than you trust yourself to make decisions?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Are you sure about that? So anytime .gov wants to take away our rights all they have to do is declare an emergency.

I trust that I will make the right decision. And I have. I won’t put peoples lives in jeopardy just because I have the right to do what I want whenever I want

·
Diva extraordinaire
17,196 Posts
I trust that I will make the right decision.
Then you agree with me that we don't need .gov telling us what to do.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,476 Posts
Common sense ain't so common.

Just because it's common sense, doesn't mean it's common practice.

Will Rogers

“Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it.”
― Rene Descartes

“Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
― Victor Hugo

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Then you agree with me that we don't need .gov telling us what to do.
I agree with that on a huge level.

BUT... I will still voluntarily wear a mask out in a grocery or wherever I deem necessary. Both my children work In hospitals so I’ll heed the warnings.

Tell you what Hannie..... Lets just have our own opinions and stay cool with each other. Is that good with you?

·
Diva extraordinaire
17,196 Posts
Tell you what Hannie..... Lets just have our own opinions and stay cool with each other. Is that good with you?
Of course. I'm cool with everybody. We don't have to agree on everything.

Except for BF. When he disagrees with me, he is always wrong.

LOL

Reactions: serve_and_protect

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
is the gov making masks available to everyone?

I remember when China was going through their lockdown, the police were using drones to tell people they are in violation of law and to put a mask on. Only one problem. they couldn't obtain a mask. they were all sold out.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts

The short answer to your question is no. However, I support the government when their decisions agree with mine. I voluntarily started my own shelter in place routine on 8 March. That was well in advance of when government agencies decided it was the correct thing to do.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
is the gov making masks available to everyone?

I remember when China was going through their lockdown, the police were using drones to tell people they are in violation of law and to put a mask on. Only one problem. they couldn't obtain a mask. they were all sold out.
In Connecticut at least, they (gov) are saying basically wear anything that covers your mouth and nose.

It is kind of funny seeing teenagers (at least those abiding by the "rules") wearing bandannas around their face. They all seem to look like old timey bank robbers.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts