Face Masks Pose Serious Risks To The Healthy

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by pipedreams, Jul 10, 2020.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Thank you. I've been saying this to my conspiracy theorist friends from the beginning. I don't like to wear them either, but the few minutes I'm in a store or grabbing something to eat. Sure, I'll help out. I'm probably not going to enjoy it on my upcoming airline flight. :ack:

I think, if the President would have come on TV and said, "Look friends, here's what we are up against, and you can help by doing this." Instead, all the little tin pot dictators around the country decided it was in their purview to order people. Didn't go over well.

DAKA, n2g and "Doc" Cavalry like this.
  2. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

My M-I-L is having a knee replacement. I’m driving 13 hours to her place with my wife to keep her low risk, so she can care for her post op.

I’m flying back home.

That’s a scenario when you do want an N95 and goggles. I’m keeping a set of scrubs in carry on, and changing Into them when I get off the plane.

Do what you can to decrease your risk.

DAKA and G19Tony like this.

3. "Doc" Cavalry

If you want resist the left, get a Trump 2020 mask and flaunt it.

6329B14B-F241-4507-B03A-A3E60AA4A9E5.png

4. John_AZ

John_AZ

Can we combine all the “I’m not sick, I don’t need a mask” and the “they can’t tell me what to do” threads about these masks into one?

Just curious.

5. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

So you're saying my Chicago Cubs cloth mask won't cut it. Yikes! I'm going back to see my 90 year old mother with COPD. I drove back, last month.

6. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I’m just gonna walk around with a supplied air respirator on, and live in one of those big inflatable hamster balls

7. "Doc" Cavalry

Any mask on the infected person is helpful. The spectrum is from tissue to re-breathing scuba gear.

[​IMG]

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-masks-virus/

If you are wanting to protect yourself, do what ICU COVID ward nurses do. My daughter is one of those. N95 and eye protection. She's been doing this since the beginning and hasn't caught it yet. If you have an N95 and eye protection, the most likely way to get it is by manually inserting the virus into your body. That means rubbing your eye, picking your nose, licking your fingers or eating food that's not cooked that was prepared by a COVID person that either didn't know they had it yet, or didn't care because they were short on sick leave.

I'm going to admit I'm a little pissed off about this issue. HUGE surprise, I know.

I have been extremely frustrated by hospital employees that ignore our universal source control policy. That means wearing a mask while on campus. I have over 80 people out of work now, only 38 of them are COVID positive. The rest broke policy. They infected co-workers and patients, one worked sick for a week and gave it to several patients in a long term health care facility. She mega-dosed Tylenol and Motrin to hide her fever, because she didn't have any sick leave, because she called out sick the moment she had a full sick day to use for many years.

PRO TIP: just because you are on break, doesn't mean the Virus is on break. Eating elbow to elbow with a coworker that is fine today, but sick tomorrow, is not OK.

If you'll search back through my posts, I was skeptical too. All the way up until the latter part of June, only 15 of 4800 employees had tested positive. Now 38 are active positive with 18 that have recovered. A lot changes in three weeks.

99% of us will do fine when we get it. Some won't even show any symptoms.

The cloth mask isn't for you, it's for that 90 year old widow walking into the store behind you.

If you are at risk, or having to fly, N95 and eye protection, and change clothes and shower as soon as possible after.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks and G19Tony like this.
  8. Dave514

Dave514

Been sayin'.

And how this mask thing has become the hill to die on for so many is beyond me.

9. Bradley T

Bradley T

I agree.

Parked a ways from the Walmart store yesterday and walked about 2500 feet to get to the only available entrance. Not sure why there's only one. I was angry, but smiled, got MiniMags and sandwich-makin's and got on out. I talk to the clerks about how to best adapt to this masking (they've been wearing masks for months.) We actually have a little laugh about it. All in all, it really isn't so bad. Stay strong, friends- this ain't nothin'!

"Doc" Cavalry likes this.
  10. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

Damn' straight.

I've been preaching masks since day one based on my experiences in Japan. Damndest thing is that they haven't done anything like the "lockdowns" we have in the US, yet with masks and contact tracing they're in way better shape than we are. Even testing in Japan ain't that hot, but the masks are a lifesaver.

Somehow the political dynamic in the US has turned into "conservative = no precautions, pretend we're in the pre-epidemic world, its just the flu" and "leftist = shut everything but anti-Trump protests down". They're both wrong. Take simple precautions, wear masks as appropriate, and don't do super-spreader events (which includes dumb-*** protests). Until we get a good enough vaccine, this is the new normal, get used to it.

Grumpy
    PS The only thing that's genuinely funny about this is when I see some anti-masker screaming at the top of their lungs about how they have breathing problems so can't wear a mask. Anyone with real breathing issues is envious of the set of lungs those morons are putting on display.....

11. Dave514

Dave514

If your lungs are so bad that you can't wear a mask, I'd consider staying home and avoiding the bat soup croup altogether.

And for those who can't wear a mask, try a face shield.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  12. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

" The recommendations by the CDC and the WHO are not based on any studies of this virus and have never been used to contain any other virus pandemic or epidemic in history."

It's amazing how someone can be so clueless or ignorant, or just be an outright liar when it comes to the past use of masks. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. "Doc" Cavalry

Exactly. The lockdowns make sense for the elderly and others at risk. Maybe for those that work in Nursing homes, oncology, and other at risk patients too.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  14. racerford

racerford

Some questions.

Do you have a cite for the study that says you shed via viruses for two days before symptoms? How did they do this study. Did the take a group of 1000 volunteers expose them to the virus and then do mouth and nasal swabs every day for a few weeks? If so how many actuallly got the virus? how many showed symptoms? How many died?

Why don’t you mask around your family? Aren’t they the one you want to protect the most?

Sharkey likes this.
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Good info. I'm going to tell mom, that when I get back, just to stay away, and I'll hit the shower and throw my clothes in the wash right away.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  16. podwich

podwich

So I read the article. Here are a couple sentences that jumped out at me:
    Um... editor? Want to try to make your article at least internally consistent?

And this gem:
    Now that's just hilarious. What kind of mask are they wearing? Saran wrap on the nares? :rofl:

Mr Meeseeks and "Doc" Cavalry like this.
  17. "Doc" Cavalry

This takes a basic understanding of viral infection.

You are inoculated, meaning the virus arrives on the surface of your mucous membranes (eyes, nares, mouth, pharynx, lungs).

It has to invade at least one cell. Usually more than several in order to overcome your innate immunity.

The virus turns your cell into a virus factory. That cell fills to capacity and bursts with hundreds or thousands of copies of the virus.... Those copies invade other cells.

It takes several iterations of that before enough cells rupturing (lysis) makes you symptomatic.
    During that time, thousands to millions of copies of the virus are floating around in the mucous attached to your mucous membranes. Those copies are available to be expelled from your body by speaking, coughing or sneezing.

You are shedding infectious amounts of Virus during the prodromal period (where you beginto feel like something isn't right) and during the period of illness.

About half of the COVID positive hospital employees I have spoken with, including numerous doctors, dentists, podiatrists, surgeons, Nurses, PA's and Nurse Practitioners thought they had allergies during the first 2 to 3 days of actual symptoms.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

My family is a special case. We are at risk. Meaning I have had several face to face conversations with COVID positive people, and my daughter treats ICU COVID patients daily. We are careful decontaminating when coming home, but we all know it's a matter of time. We are healthy, and don't have any contact with at risk people. I could write a lengthy article on what I do to avoid getting it. It involves meticulous hygeine at work, switched from shirt and tie to scrubs, all of my gear goes into a marine cooler lined with aluminum foil, there are two UV-C bulbs in the cooler, one ozone producing the other one not, that bathes all my gear (badges, wallet, pen, knife, keys, shoes and hat) in UV-C on a 15 minute timer. What the light doesn't get, the ozone does. Antimicrobial infused Scrubs go into the washing machine, I go into the shower. For shopping, everything we buy goes into as container with lid in the back of the vehicle, carried to garage door, and everything gets wiped down with a bleach solution before it comes into the garage. Vegetables and fruits go into a vinegar water bath before coming inside. All clothes and gear get washed, shoes get UVC or a spritz with Lysol.

I spent 20 years training, practicing and training others to decontaminate casualties and equipment for nuclear, chemical and biological agents.

You probably don't have to be that careful.

I know I will get it eventually, but am not going to pass up hugs from my 1 year old granddaughter. Kids and toddlers shake off COVID like ducks shake off water. She's the least at risk of the entire family, and we are all in good physical shape with no co-morbidities.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    G19Tony, Mr Meeseeks and JohnBT like this.
  18. GWG19

GWG19

Was with a small group of folks recently. Some had masks some did not.
    This was on a Saturday.
    One person tested positive for Covid. We where in the 48 hour window.
    Sunday evening he felt bad. Monday he tested positive.
    The person felt fine, no symptoms, nothing on Saturday.
    3 days after the test results we where informed.
    In my opinion that was 3 days to long.

Nobody else has yet to show symptoms.
    It is a long wait when you find out something like this.

My wife has severe asthma. She is over the age of 60.
    She wears a mask when out in public. I wear a mask when out in public.

Getting Covid could be a death sentence for her.

19. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I posted this a little while back and caught a lot of crap
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/fast-and-cheap-way-to-sanitize-your-groceries.1825850/

I hope the peroxide solution is good enough. I leave canned goods in direct sunlight for about 30 minutes, then flip to cook the other side. I caution my parents that my Peroxide spray isn’t a silver bullet, takes longer to kill the virus, and that they need to be sanitary when handling packages. I always encourage them to rotate and ‘quarantine’ bags of pretzels and other items (I have a separate shed at home where all packages get a 2-3 day quarantine).

I’m getting a late start this morning unfortunately. About to mask up and go shopping for the parents. Mother has Myasthenia Gravis and hypertension. She can’t afford to catch it.

I’m going to continue to take precautions. It’s draining to stay vigilant. I wish we had some hard numbers on the amount of viral particles required to become infected (I’m sure this figure would vary from person to person). Obviously extended conversations inside of buildings create a massive viral load. I suspect contaminated packaging isn’t one of the primary drivers of transmission, but if it only takes a small dose to create infection... then all these precautions are warranted. A while back the Centers for Disinformation and Commerce essentially stated that contaminated consumer goods are not a big deal; many laymen seem to be on board with that assessment. I’m not sold on it just yet.

20. bdcochran

bdcochran

Quite true. However, now it is at the point that you can be shot and killed on the spot for not wearing a mask.