close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

F350 Cummins Swap

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by knightkrawler00, Dec 9, 2011.

1. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I thought some folks here would be interested in a winter project the shop has going this year. As some of you may know, the 6.0l Powerstroke is far from the most reliable engine ever produced. While the Cummins 5.9L, at least before the common rail engine was introduced, is legendary for it's reliabilty. We have a customer that has two F350's with 6.0L's. His '03 blew up, so we pulled the engine from his '06 and put it into his '03, then started the long process of swapping a 12 valve Cummins 6BT into his '06. It started coming together this week and I snapped a few pictures.

Working on the newer Fords is a little tricky as there isn't enough space to do much with the body still on it.
    [​IMG]

Here's the engine sitting in the frame. It's a used engine, so we are addressing some common issues before it's together. Right now we are installing a keeper on one of the front cover dowels that has a tendency to fall into the gearing and cause a catastrophic failure.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the adapter to bolt the 5R100 transmission to the Cummins. We are using an ATS torque converter and billet flex plate. The transmission had to be moved 3 inches rearward and the drivelines will have to be modified.
    [​IMG]

The custome engine mount plates and mounts.
    [​IMG]

And a shot of what it looks like with the cab back on the truck. The engine fits like it's suppose to be there.
    [​IMG]

2. vart

vart

Very cool!

I've seen guys put Cummins in all sorts of older rigs but never a new Ford...

Is the 6.0 so bad that the cost of fixing it's issues is higher than swapping in a cummins?

3. DaneA

DaneA

Why not take it one step further and put the Allison tranny in there? That would make a rock solid combo! Make sure the truck gets all of the badges on it as well :)

4. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Awesome.

The Cummins used to available in Ford trucks from the factory, don't know if it still is.

You had to step up to the F650 though. :)

5. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

6. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 I swear I had something for this...

Very cool. How much would you expect it to cost, labor wise? Would it cost more to start with a gas truck?

7. Dr.Crash

Dr.Crash

+1 :rock:

8. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Why a 12 valve and not the 24 valve?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Holy crap!

Dude, I'd have so many extra parts in the end... Awe, hell, I'd just give up and set fire to the shop 'n all and just file an insurance claim.

Needless to say, I don't even change my own oil. :)

10. Fastbear

Fastbear

Having operated most all of the diesels why not just buy a Dodge with a Cummins in the first place. Save a lot of money and work.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Exactly what I was thinking. The customer will never tow or carry is the best I can come up with. HH

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

probably because the dodge bodies are crap..

fords hold together a bit better..

and old cummins are really hurt by the new low sulphur fuel

13. racer11

racer11

02 7.3 in my shop with 25K on the clock, and Iam keeping it till I die,,, glad I do not own any of the newer ford diesels.

14. kiole

kiole

05 f350 blew the egr cooler and head gasket. When we tore it apart one of the rockers was demolished and 3 bent pushrods. I don't even know if the core is worth anything at this point. We are goin to end up putting a rebuilt 6.0 with arp studs and egr delete into it eventually. 109k on it when it went to hell

15. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I'll try to do this without quoting everybody.

The customer wanted the 12 valve due to being completely mechanical without computer assistance. It's not hard to make 300 horsepower with a little work and know-how. The engine is staying 95% stock at this point. The dowel issue is being fixed and the fuel plate is going to be moved a bit. We are using an RV exhaust manifold to push the turbo further back for clearance, as well. I imagine injectors, further pump mods, and a bigger turbo will be in the future.

I've got a 6 speed Allison 1000 series sitting on the floor with a broken bellhousing. The customer couldn't be talked into it, though. It would have been another 4k or so to fix/build/adapt the Allison into the truck.

We will have between 125 and 150 labor hours into this project by the time it's all said and done, not sure how many of those will be billed. Needless to say, it's much more expensive to go this route than throwing in another 6.0L, but this swap has a much higher CDI factor and the owner has a much larger check book than I do. Bolting in the engine is actually the easy part. Making the A/C, P/S, cluster, transmission, cooling system, etc... all work together is the hard part. We will be using a stand alone controller for the transmission and are building our own A/C and P/S lines. We'll figure out the rest as we go:cool:

Racer11, I bet I could have that truck sold for asking price in two hours. Always have folks calling the shop looking for a lead on a 7.3 truck in good shape with low mileage. They don't get much better than that.

16. PH-Wolf

PH-Wolf

Yeah I agree, those 7.3l PSD's are great engines from the late 90's to 2002, an sell fast!!
    Not a Powerstroke but I sold my 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with over 97,000 for $30,000. Only back to a dealer/repair shop once for a recall to reprogram the glow plug controller, that's it. Only repairs I ever had to make was replace the drivers side speaker and year later the passenger speaker. Replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and the tires at 68,000 and they were still at 4 an 5/32's. Loved that truck, towed easily even with a heavy gooseneck trailer. Averaged 19-20 MPG even though it weight just under 7,300lbs. With all the stuff I had on an in it.

It's too bad the new ones are so flipping complex and crammed with some much stuff to control emissions(yeah I know there 'dirty' bla, bla.) But..... the older 'pre-emissions' diesels(Duramax an Cummins) draw a premium when you sell'em. Miss my Duramax Diesel but no longer tow an just got tired of towing mostly for other people).

But smart on the owner to stick the 12v 'pre-computerized' Cummins an get rid of that POS 6.0l PSD. 6.4l PSD is garbage as well. Hope Ford got it right with their in-house designed 6.7l PSD, glad they dumped partnership with International.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Ford's been putting out enough pretty great motors lately (see the new 5.0 and 3.7 in the Mustangs, the four-cylinder and six-cylinder EcoBoost engines) that it kinda wouldn't surprise me if they got the new powerstroke right, too.

18. lloydchristmas

lloydchristmas 132 and Bush

Should go over and post this build on 4btswaps.com

19. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

That sir, is absolutely freaking awesome!:cool:

20. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Destroked.com is where a lot of the custom fumming swap parts are available.

12v is the simplest to do. It doesn't require complex wiring ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011