F1 in Indy is dead...

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by boilergonzo, Jul 12, 2007.

1. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

They announced today that the F1 race is dead. Perhaps there is still time, but Bernie had better wake up fast and realize that this is his best shot at the U.S. market. Hopefully Toyota, Mercedes, Ferrari, and Honda let Bernie know his stupidity is limiting their advertising dollars.

This was a great race for our city, and it is sad to see someone like Bernie think he can make more money in Las Vegas (or Phoenix, or Detroit...). Indy was the best shot, and he blew it!

I'm no fan of George and the open wheel split (which I place lots of blame on Tony), but in this case, I think Bernie E is to blame.

Sigh...

2. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Why isn't a street course better for F1? Like miami or LA, or such?

Wouldn't Miami, being a more international flair, have a lot more pent-up demand?

I like the race being here...but again, who cares because I've never spent a buck on autoracing. I am not their target market.

3. notasccrmom

notasccrmom Guest

While the facility is nice, and about as convenient as it gets, I think it is not the optimum venue for any type of road racing. There are many tracks in the US that would be far better places for F1, both spectators and drivers/teams. Places such as Road America and Road Atlanta come to mind. They have more interesting layouts, elevation changes, plenty of shade, and lots of character.

It doesn't get much worse than a circle track that's been temporarily converted to a road course in my book.

4. hgiles

hgiles Guest

When Europeans think 'America' nothing in their minds resemble Indianapolis.

However, I do like F1 and hope to keep an F1 race in America.

5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

F1 has tried that. In the U.S. they don't have the fan base. They need a track with credibility, cash, international clout, and history to make it fly. It was a VERY well-attended race by F1 standards. Most tracks draw far fewer. That isn't to say they had Brickyard or 500 sized crowds, but the attendance was actually quite good DESPITE tire fiascos and bickering that drove off fans.

Miami is like LA... both have glitz and glamor. Both are international destinations. But both have a glaring history of not doing a great job supporting their teams and sports. Indianapolis has a lot of racing fans of all varieties. The track (despite complaints) is world class. The ones complaining loudest about the track are the ones who have had the most problems. Michelin blasted it, several drivers who have repeatedly failed to finish have grumbled about the speeds, and Bernie is greedy to the point of having the teams considering leaving F1 and starting their own league (this has been festering for years!).

F1 had finally found a loving home, but they ran away, drawn by the promises of crack cocaine or crystal meth. It is a shame, because I loved the technology and innovation these cars brought. I will miss them. I have also written about ten sponsors letting them know their advertising in F1 is no longer targeting the U.S. effectively (Toyota, Honda, Ferrari, Mercedes, Seiko, Tag Heuer, Gatorade, Budweiser, IBM, Hilton U.S., Dell, Red Bull, and ING all rely heavily on the U.S. market, which F1 just left). At least two of those entities had big press releases touting the U.S. presence and visibility via F1 to U.S. F1 fans as their target audience (Hilton and Mercedes).

6. epsylum

epsylum Guest

:agree:

This announcement sucks for me. While more elevation changes are fun to watch, but look at most F1 tracks, they are pretty flat. IMO this track had a good combination of speed (the longetst full throttle section of the whole year) and some good infield turns.

However one door closes and another opens. Coming Sept. of 2008..... MotoGP!!! :banana: :banana:

7. fire1035

fire1035 Guest

I honestly don't think this is as big of a loss as the news is making it out to be. Unlike the 500 which has been growing in recent years the USGP continues to get smaller each year. Oh well. Bring on MotoGP!

8. IMHerDad

IMHerDad

i say bring em to Talledaga and lets see run a real track! :animlol:

9. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Ummmm, no, we won't be doing that. It's bad enough that those people come here.

Business decision, I can accept that. Afterall, IMS is not a charity despite what some yeehaws think.:upeyes:

I hope F1 reconsiders (i.e. the sponsors lean on Bernie) and is back shortly.:hugs:

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Despite my sadness at the F1 loss, I am thankful Tony doesn't lean on the city for cash (like all other cash sports seem to). He couldn't make money with Bernie's greed in the way, so he did what he had to do. Good business, not purely driven by emotion and begging.

I do think the bikes will be cool to see, but downtown was fun and felt almost like an international destination during the USGP. Every time I went, several groups around me were from far away. They cross oceans to be here. When I go the the 500 or Brickyard, the vast majority seem to be Indiana residents. Sure, a few travel long distances, but the F1 race seemed to have more non-Hoosiers than hoosiers.

11. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

If it's all about $ for TG then he oughta open that road course up for the NASCAR boys- Nascar on the Brickyard's roadcourse would sell out in about 4 minutes.
    After that tire related BS a couple years ago I wouldn't wipe my @ZZ
    on a F-1 ticket.

12. fire1035

fire1035 Guest

I said that a couple of years ago. Put up some lights and run a night time road race with the NASCAR kids. It's gonna be fun.

13. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

boiler, exactly, new money being pumped into the economy. Unlike the NASCAR money from far off Whiteland.:animlol:

14. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Exactly. My uncles came into town every year for it (from OK and LA). They spent lots of money eating out at nice restaurants every night. We have met lots of people from all over the world while out and about during the race weekend. It made Indy feel like a real international destination. The 500 and Brickyard (sorry, Allstate 400 :upeyes: ) do not do that.

BTW for those who don't know. MotoGP is the motorcycle version of F1 (i.e. the fastest bikes around a track in the world and the best riders). The current reigning champ is from the far off land of...... Kentucky. There have been far more winning MotoGP riders from the US than in F1 (Nicky Hayden, Kenny Roberts Jr., Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts Sr., etc.)

15. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

From Kentucky huh? I hope we approve his entry visa.:rofl:

Bring on MotoGP!:banana:

16. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I am not currently a fan of MotoGP, but am willing to take a look!

The ESPN article pretty much sums it up. Indy as an international F1 news story is done, as the theft from Ferrari of several critical documents by McLaren (pages and PC's found in the chief designer's house) is huge corporate espionage and F1 news. International lawsuits loom, and Lewis (victim) and McLaren (alleged thieves) are in deep doo-doo.

NASCAR could not run the current infield course. It would just be silly. Perhaps with modifications removing the tightest turns it could be made into a viable track, but then MotoGP loses out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=6&columnist=blount_terry&id=2934447&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2932714

Bernie either has gotten lucky with the timing of this, or helped time this. Who knows?

17. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Wow! I did not hear about that. Man, that has to suck for Lewis Hamilton (finding out his victories may have been because his team was cheating).

BTW my uncle said that Bernie is even thinking about taking the GP away from England (his home country) because they won't pay the stupid amounts of money he wants. What a greedy SOB. The manufacturers need to put him in his place. I like F1, but hate Bernie with all the hate I can muster.

18. JTG30

JTG30 INGO

:agree:

19. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

I am sorry that you race fans lost one of your favorite races. I really am. Especially you Eric. I have to admit that I am not mad. It is just one more race I don't have to work. Races may be fun for you guys, but they suck to those of us who have to work them.

Here is a little known fact. No one reimburses the state for all the officers that work those races. That comes straight out of the state budget. I couldn't believe that no one pays the state back for all those races when all that money is being made by several private entities.

20. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

"no one pays the state back for all those races when all that money is being made by several private entities."

Those "several private companies" are paying property taxes,income taxes on the corporations,payroll taxes, and putting on events that bring in-guess what- more taxes on tickets.

Start charging the Indiana Black Expo first-see how that works out and then we can talk.