Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....this was the first night barricade for a Hornet ever. I was a nugget pilot with VRC-30 and a paddles but not my teams wave night. I watched the whole thing unfold that night. The pilot, Oyster, was awarded an air medal and the CAG Paddles, Max, was an outstanding LSO.

View: https://youtu.be/6v2Sws7d3Fk

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Wow, cool video. What is with the "Eject! Eject!" video title? I did fast forward a bit, did I miss the pilot ejecting??

·
Sneet
16,204 Posts
That was intense! I was on the edge of my seat for the whole vid. It looked like something fell off the jet, after the CAT shot and made a big splash. Nice hands on Oyster. Max was very cool on the radio. I liked that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Big brass ones on both of them.

Ramp strike on launch?

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,582 Posts
According to the YT comments, "Left engine fodded with catapult seal on cat shot."

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
That was intense! I was on the edge of my seat for the whole vid. It looked like something fell off the jet, after the CAT shot and made a big splash. Nice hands on Oyster. Max was very cool on the radio. I liked that. :thumbsup:
I think I heard someone say ''jettison if you have to'' at the :50 mark. Not sure if that is for fuel tanks. Was that part of the engine or a fuel tank, something big dropped.
Max was cool and calm, that guy yelling get out, really raised the stress level.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I heard someone say ''jettison if you have to'' at the :50 mark. Not sure if that is for fuel tanks. Was that part of the engine or a fuel tank, something big dropped.
Max was cool and calm, that guy yelling get out, really raised the stress level.
He had tanks on so was told to drop them but he already had. When they hit the water, some thought he punched and the man overboard was announced.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, cool video. What is with the "Eject! Eject!" video title? I did fast forward a bit, did I miss the pilot ejecting??
The Boss had called for him to eject. He stayed with her obviously...gutsy move but the thought of punching at night was scary as well.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We had two CAG paddles, Max Stout and Brad Jensen, both excellent but Max had that soothing voice and calmness. Funny that he was a fiery type but on the radio, calm and collective. Max was a Tomcat driver while Brad...or Flats, was a Prowler type.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you translate to regular people speak? For a friend.
There is a big rubber seal that goes into the catapault when not in use. Comes in two pieces and being a night launch, folks forgot to remove it and when the Hornet launched, into went down the left intake. Well both actually but the left motor shut down and he had about 75% power on his good motor.

D530F42E-9DBE-4C09-8FEC-499087AC87EA.jpeg

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
We had two CAG paddles, Max Stout and Brad Jensen, both excellent but Max had that soothing voice and calmness. Funny that he was a fiery type but on the radio, calm and collective. Max was a Tomcat driver while Brad...or Flats, was a Prowler type.
The calmness is good considering the circumstances such as...
You might die and I might have a horrible memory for the rest of my life, but if we stay calm, we can have the best chance for success.

What a great victory as someone said on the video.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
There is a big rubber seal that goes into the catapault when not in use. Comes in two pieces and being a night launch, folks forgot to remove it and when the Hornet launched, into went down the left intake. Well both actually but the left motor shut down and he had about 75% power on his good motor.

View attachment 758462
And the barricade instead of catching the wires was because he wouldn't have been able to take back off if he missed?

·
Registered
11,250 Posts

View attachment 758462
I would imagine that would not get whoever forgot the rubber seal, a very good efficiency report.
Tremendous job on the part of the pilot.

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
....this was the first night barricade for a Hornet ever. I was a nugget pilot with VRC-30 and a paddles but not my teams wave night. I watched the whole thing unfold that night. The pilot, Oyster, was awarded an air medal and the CAG Paddles, Max, was an outstanding LSO.

View: https://youtu.be/6v2Sws7d3Fk

Best thing I've seen in a long time. Thanks for it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts