1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Descent Terminated
33,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Obie Wan, RIP
10,923 Posts
Ooooh, that had to be a pucker moment for Allah's Warrior. Or maybe an ND in the flight suit.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
"Sheldon, GO AWAY!!"

·
finishes it...
4,163 Posts
hehe, mess with another guy's pet, better be ready to throw down.

·
Glock Fanboi
2,470 Posts
Sneaks up close and personal ... F-22 has a gun, F-4 doesn't ...

:rofl:

.[/QUOTE]

I do not know how this F4 was armed but the F4s that I worked around in the 70's could be armed with a gun in an external pod.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Was the F4 within missile range of the drone?

·
Premium Member
65,073 Posts

I do not know how this F4 was armed but the F4s that I worked around in the 70's could be armed with a gun in an external pod.[/QUOTE]

The F-4E (First flown in 1965) was the first model with an integral 20mm gun.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,848 Posts
The F-22 is one bad motor-scooter don't you know it!!!

(F-22 is a plane that in one day can "shoot down" four F15's, and five F15's, in 4-vs-1 and 5-vs-1 air to air combat simulations, and after which eight of the nine F15 pilots proclaim their frustrations due to never being able to see the F-22 that splashed 'em until they were already shot down.)

·
Semper Fi
7,259 Posts
I'd love to see footage of that.

·
Descent Terminated
33,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I do not know how this F4 was armed but the F4s that I worked around in the 70's could be armed with a gun in an external pod.
True, but it was an American adaption, and as I understand it, only a moderately successful stopgap.

The Phantom was designed without guns, in an era when missiles were going to do all. (Forgot to consider 'management' was going to require visual confirmation before pulling the trigger ... :upeyes:

Edit: The Iranian's were sold Ds and Es, so the encounter plane could have had a gun.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,979 Posts

(F-22 is a plane that in one day can "shoot down" four F15's, and five F15's, in 4-vs-1 and 5-vs-1 air to air combat simulations, and after which eight of the nine F15 pilots proclaim their frustrations due to never being able to see the F-22 that splashed 'em until they were already shot down.)
A little know tidbit: The F-22 have AWACS support. When the F-22's are forced to use active radar they are quite detectable...

The Ruskies developed an Air to Air Anti-radation missile in case of that event.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,848 Posts
A little know tidbit: The F-22 have AWACS support. When the F-22's are forced to use active radar they are quite detectable...

The Ruskies developed an Air to Air Anti-radation missile in case of that event.
Yes I agree, if you turn on RADAR others can "see" where you're at.

We have an anti-AWACS missile too, which IIRC, ours is effective further out than the Russian variant; additionally, our AWACS aircraft are protected in layers of defensive measures. (Rotsa-ruck to the Russian missiles getting through. Think Bug's Bunny the rabbit and Elmer Fudd the hunter.)

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts

·
29,109 Posts
Yes I agree, if you turn on RADAR others can "see" where you're at.

We have an anti-AWACS missile too, which IIRC, ours is effective further out than the Russian variant; additionally, our AWACS aircraft are protected in layers of defensive measures. (Rotsa-ruck to the Russian missiles getting through. Think Bug's Bunny the rabbit and Elmer Fudd the hunter.)
They have a trick for that...

Basically, two F-22s (or two pairs) fly a few hundred miles apart. The lead ones have their radars off. The trailing ones are using their radar. When the trailing ones detect something, info is relayed to the leading F-22s (using something like bluetooth on steroids) who nail it up close and personal.

And that is just the trick they will tell us.

·
29,109 Posts

And the F-15 is in no way a slouch.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,848 Posts
They have a trick for that...

Basically, two F-22s (or two pairs) fly a few hundred miles apart. The lead ones have their radars off. The trailing ones are using their radar. When the trailing ones detect something, info is relayed to the leading F-22s (using something like bluetooth on steroids) who nail it up close and personal.

And that is just the trick they will tell us.
The Navy's F14 could "download" in real time what the E2C Hawkeye (today the E2D-Advanced variant) was "seeing." I surmise it is about the same thing for the F22 and the chair force.

But regardless, the F22 is one bad platform!!!

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,748 Posts
When the trailing ones detect something, info is relayed to the leading F-22s (using something like bluetooth on steroids) who nail it up close and personal.
I'm sorry. . Your connection can't be completed as requested. . If you feel that you have received this message in error, please hang up and try your call again. . . . . :supergrin:

1 - 20 of 213 Posts