close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eye Relief on hard hitting shotguns

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Oct 10, 2004.

1. noway

noway

How much eye-relief do you have on your scope shotgun?

I just bought a sightron scope and my 1st time out and using Remington Buckhammer 1.25oz loads I cut my face above my eyebrow. I have the scope closer to the small end of relief. The eye relief by the mfg specs 3.2"-3.8", my Nikons run more closer to 4" and I haven't ever been bite by them.

So what type of scope do you have on you Shotguns and just how much relief?

2. noway

noway

TTT

Anybody out their using scopes on hard recoiling riles/shotguns, do you have std reliefs IER or EER? or care to discuss what length of relief you have?

;e

3. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I have a Tasco 4x40 World Class. I am not sure what the measurement is but I slid it all the way to the front of the rings and it has yet to cut me. If I am really hunkered down on it I may feel a slight brush but that is it. When I say a slight brush I mean next to nothing it is like if it makes contact with a single hair on my forehead. I would reccomend a shotgun/muzzleloader scope if you have the means. One thing I have seen people do too is to use Leupold rings that have the cantilever style ring hard to describe but if I can find a pic I will post it.

4. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Here ya go! They are called extended rings. I would not do it personally but I have heard of people doing that.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mine wears a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40mm & the specs show it has a 4.7-3.7 ER... it's attached via Leupold rings. I haven’t had a problem with this set-up.

Before I put that Leupold on however I actually had a Sightron 3x9x42mm on my shotgun using the exact same Leupold rings... I never got "scope eye" from it in the least degree... you sure you just weren't hunkered down on it good that one time?

P.S. I was VERY impressed with that Sightron!

6. 357glocker

357glocker

Get yourself a reddot sight for it. It's more than practical for slug ranges.

7. noway

noway

{I never got "scope eye" from it in the least degree... you sure you just weren't hunkered down on it good that one time}

I was thinking that also, but I can tell you my Leupold and nikon offers more eye relief than what the sightron does. I have the seriesII 2.5-7x . It 's not bad , but I haven't got a chance to try it out in the field. The only complaint I have on it so far is the variable power ring is kinda hard to rotate. I also wish the power refernce dot on the barrel was bigger. ( just minor complaints and I'm kinda picky in this area )

I still think my Buckmaster is a very good scope in it's fixed 4x power for the range that I'm shooting at.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Is this one yours noway…

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047415762

… or is this one it?

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047415869

Either way it says your scope has a 3.8-3.2 ER… looks like about an inch less then my Leupold, which has just a hair less ER then any of Leupold’s standard sized 2x7x33mm scopes… I can definitely see an inch less of ER being enough to decide whether you get “scope eye” or not!

Have you looked at Leupold’s newer Rifleman scopes yet? They have a 2x7x33mm, which Cabela’s has for $179.99 right now… you may be able to find one cheaper then that somewhere else on-line though.

I’ve taken whitetails @ 160+ yards before with my slug-gun set-up… I wouldn’t trust a red-dot to that myself.

9. noway

noway

It's the later SG model with the diamond reticle. And I found out that 3.8 is more like closer to 3" in order to get a good view thru the eye piece. Not a bad scope if I stick with lite slugs loads or turkey loads but I'm testing out 30rds of remington buckhammer and all I can say is ouch. I only got thru 3 rounds and then chicken out. Most people suggest closer to the 4" mark vrs the 3" mark for eye relief in shotguns.

{I’ve taken whitetails @ 160+ yards before with my slug-gun set-up… I wouldn’t trust a red-dot to that myself.}

agreed, reddots are fine but they don't offer most of the advantages that a scope would plus one more thing to go wrong such as a battery. Also the reddot point IMHO don't offer the pinpoint accuracy that a fine reticle would since the dot covers up a normal size 6" target that I'm shooting at @ 100yrds.

I would never give up my scope for a reddot unit of any make or model.Okay for quick&close in shooting and for defense protection but for long range shooting, ain't going to happen.

I'm most likely going to buy another nikon and might save the cash and try the monarch or get the newer prostaff since it is affordable and a economy model. ( $99.99 on midway last time I check ) The monarch I'm looking at is the realtree camo with turkey reticle. Still deciding if I want that or the finer nikoplex.

10. 357glocker

357glocker

I agree that you don't get the pinpoint reticle with the reddot that you do with the scope, but the Bushnell Trophy I have on my 870 has the 4 different reticles and unlimited eye relief. I have it set on the 3 MOA dot and have no problems keeping the shots in the center of an 8x11 sheet of paper at 100 yrds. I have no clue how it does past 100yrds as I didn't shoot it any further. I just sighted it in the other day and while my shoulder took a pounding my eye came out unscathed;)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...og/item-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=srchdx&hasJS=true

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

12. noway

noway

interesting.

I never sat down and realize that you have unlimited "eye relief " with a red dot type sight. :)

I think I would still appreciate the magnification and other issues that you get with a traditional scope. I might do some re-arranging of ideas and pick up one of these. Since realistically 50yrds and less or better yet 35yrds and less is all that I would be doing with this. I still don't like the fact of a battery and such.

357glocker, do you have to remove the sight off the rail to change the battery on your model? Also how does it work ( dot ) aganist back lit tagets?

I.e you shooting with the sun in front of you vrs behind you.

Also what battery type are you using? I remember some of these earlier used a non common camera battery that was just about impossible to find after hours in your local walgree/walmart.

I shot one of the early tasco reddots and it wasn't great in the brightness controls in back lit items. It might have been due to the 1MOA ( IIRC) dot size which was kinda small.

13. 357glocker

357glocker

noway,
    Honestly I can't say what it's like to see the dot while shooting into the sun, but I can tell you that when the dot is set on "11" the brightness of the dot is intense. Remember that these come with a polorized lense also kinda like a pair of sunglasses for the sight. Shooting with the sun to your back is no problem. The battery is simple to change by unscrewing the top brightness knob, and is the disc battery #2032 (can be had at wallyworld for fairly cheap) One downside, and you mentioned it earlier, it can go out so make sure to turn it off when done hunting/shooting. Check it before leaving the house. I know scopes are more accurate, but I've been through the scope on the slug gun and personally I prefer the reddot. I always worried more about the scope than actually shooting (I've been "bitten" by the scope on my 7 mag and it took me a long time to shoot that rifle well again). At your 35-50yrd shots on deer you will smoke them with the dot.

14. cmzneb

cmzneb

Here is a pic of 357glocker's gun with the red dot:

15. 357glocker

357glocker

Thanks for getting that pic posted for me cmzneb.

Noway, I had him post this picture of my shotty so you could see my setup. The homeade cheek pad helps also!

16. noway

noway

thanks, btw I make leather strapon cheek swells that you lace on the stock. Same idea as yours. It helps in getting the eye up and behind the scope exit and makes a consistent cheek to stock fit.