close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Extractor tuning

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DocWills, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DocWills

DocWills

We used to tune 1911s to run better and I had some curiousity to see if it could be done cheaply on a Glock I bought two lone wolf milled extractors and polished one. I tryed both with the pointy ejector block and the chisled one.

The polished extractor with the pointy block gives the best result .

FYI

Lowering the port should give the same result as a 1911 and clean the whole pattern up. Im not chopping mine just to see.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The problem with tuning a Glock extractor is that you can't, it's a solid piece that pivots about the same axis. The only thing you can really do is adjust the strength of the EDP spring which doesn't do much good.
    (except the extractor thread at the top of this forum, filing down that part seems to allow the extractor to snap inward further at the end of the ejection process)

Ideally an aftermarket company could make an extractor that has the claw set too far back toward the breech face to be able to chamber a round, then you'd file back the claw to fit your specific slide so that the rounds feed reliably in a test of a few hundred, and ejection is good as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

3. JBS

JBS

I used the same methods I use to tune ejection on 1911s to see what I could do with a Glock. Upon examining the position of the case on the breach face at the time the case is struck by the ejector I notice very, very little of the extractor claw in contact with the case rim. On many cases ( brands ) the extractor groove actually made contact with one of the angles on the extractor and prevented full engagement of the rim by the extractor claw. I reworked the extractor to clear all the extractor groove walls of all brands of ammo I use. Surprisingly the end shape was very much like that of a 1911 extractor nose. Very little material is required to be removed to get full engagement of the claw and is done with a honing stone. I have not detected a single case exiting in any direction other than out to the right at 4:00 on my G22 Gen4 now. I have attached a drawing please excuse my lack of drawing skill, I am a much better Smith than a drawing artist.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I think you have hit on a great idea,it has never failed me with a 1911 and no reason at least that I can think of not help with a Glocks extraction.
    I am also hoping that along with Apexes 9 mm all steel extractor they will also offer on for the 40.
    SJ 40

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Think this would work on the 9mms too?

6. DocWills

DocWills

Yes with a LW milled or other steel extractor.:supergrin:

7. JBS

JBS

I see no reason why it will not work on any caliber. Go very slow with a honing stone. Remember the case is very low on the breach face and extractor at the time of ejector contact so most of your clearing will be low on the ejector. with slide off and barrel out put a case on breach face under extractor with a light source on the other side. This will allow you to see any conflict with the claw and rim wall keeping the claw from full rim engagement.