close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Extractor Issue?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 556A2, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 556A2

556A2

When I first got my G19 I had one weird FTE where the WWB round fired, and the next round was a click. The empty brass was still in the chamber. I read in some thread that the extractor could have carbon in it, and I detail-stripped my slide today to clean it. It was actually very easy, except one thing:

The extractor was nearly impossible to get out. I nearly spent 15 minutes just trying to get it out. In every video I watched the extractor would just fall out after pressing in the Firing Pin Safety. Mine would not do that, even with the firing pin safety was fully removed.

When I finally was able to get it out, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It dropped right in after cleaning, but it was still very hard to get out. I reassembled, and did a function check.

Is this normal for the extractor to be very hard to get out?

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

If it's very dirty, they can get a little sticky. I've seen a couple that I would even say were difficult.

3. 556A2

556A2

It was dirty, but not ultra dirty. It was still a PITA to get back out after I cleaned it, but it would drop right in.

Do you think it would be a good idea to order a new extractor, or just run a few more rounds through it?

4. Butch

Gotta make sure......you are removing the extractor depressor plunger before trying to get the extractor out.....right? With the firing pin assembly and the EDP removed, a clean extractor should fall out pretty easy.

How many rounds have you fired through it since you had that (single?) malfunction?

My first thought is to shoot it a bunch, especially if you only had the one malfunction early on and nothing since.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Mine falls on the floor without a problem.:rofl: Buy another one just in case.

6. 556A2

556A2

Yep, everything was removed prior to get the extractor out. It would not fall out easily even with the firing pin safety & spring completely removed instead of just pressing it in.

I only have 180 rounds through my G19, and normally I don't really consider any FTEs a major thing in the first 200-300 rounds on a brand new gun. I have just never seen a FTE of this nature.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

You might have an out-of-spec(tight) extractor. I wouldn't replace it unless you continue to experience malfunctions because there might not be anything wrong with it. If you do continue to experience malfunctions, replacing it is worth a try. My local gun store sells extractors for $25 if I remember correctly.

Edit: As I think Jeff82 in the post below mine might be suggesting, if you have the magazine loaded to max capacity with a round in the chamber, the slide might not be able to move rearward because the slide can't push the rounds in the magazine down any farther to move past them. Try loading the mag at the most 1 round under max capacity and see if the issue continues.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Did you have more ammo in the magazine loaded in the pistol when this happened?

9. 556A2

556A2

Yes, it was not the last round in the magazine.

10. recycooler

recycooler 9-11-2001

I had the same issue on my wifes G19 the first time trying to get the extractor out,It had me puzzled but finally did get it out.No FTE"s though

11. 556A2

556A2

Small/Final Update

Put a order together on MidwayUSA, and got a new Glock LCI 9mm extractor.

Did the 5 minute slide shake to get the old extractor out, and dropped the new one in. The new one drops right out when I press the firing pin safety, and no no issues at all.

I guess it was slightly out-of-spec, and it was only $17 for piece of mind. Hopefully a range trip is in order for this weekend. :cool:

12. Butch

Sounds good!

13. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Did it strip the next round out of the mag?

If not;

Then what happened was you had some part of your hand (or something) rubbing/hitting the slide when it was trying to recoil. The slide didn't go far enough to allow the empty case to clear the chamber so it got pushed back in. Had the slide travelled normally (and assuming the extractor failed and left the empty in the chamber) then the next round would have been jammed into the back of the empty case still in the chamber. One live round and one empty case would be in the chamber area. As you did not have the second round being stripped from the magazine (at least you didn't mention it) it would seem to indicate the slide didn't travel far enough to the rear to grab the next round.

14. 556A2

556A2

It did not.

I distinctly remember hearing a click, and manually ejecting the brass out of the chamber.

However, I do know the slide didn't hit my dainty girl-like hands, and I don't know how it could have hit anything else.

I'll see what happens when I hit the range again. I'm planning on putting at least another 200 rounds through it for total piece of mind.