Glock Talk banner

Extraction ejection Issues.

2002 Views 45 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Jammersix
I have a Kimber Pro II that has been giving me some problems.

Originally it would not feed or eject worth a darn. Ball ammo was the best and Semi-wadcutters were the worst.

I just installed a Wilson Combat extractor and a 22 lb recoil spring.

I took it out this morning for a test run.

The 230 Ball fed without issue, the Semi-wadcutters still no go.

Now that it will reliably feed the Ball I still have an ejection issue.

The brass ejects in every direction and not very far. Some goes right a foot or two, some goes left a foot, some even goes forward a foot or two, but most "still" ejects right into my face or bounces of the brim of my hat.

If the extractor was not the problem, what is the cause and how can I fix this?

Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,826 Posts
Factory Spring was 18 lbs.

New spring is 22 lbs.

Ejection in the face is the same with both.

All loads cause the same in the face ejection.

My main load is Lead, coated, 230gr Lee RN with 4.5gr WST. OAL from 1.90-2.45.
What is the profile on the front of your ejector like? Is it relatively square or is it angled rearward?

· Registered
7,826 Posts

· Registered
7,826 Posts
Thanks, I just did this, I will test it out after Christmas. Hope I didn't screw it up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM36vFc5og
Go in small increments. It's easy to take a little more off but hard to add it back on. Be sure to leave the length at the bottom the same.
Hopefully this will help with your ejection issues.

To your problem with semi wadcutters, do they feed into the chamber but not seat all the way or do they not feed at all?

· Registered
7,826 Posts
I don't think they are nose diving, I think they are nose up and the nose is hitting the top of the chamber.

I have four other 1911 in 45 with a lot of mags. Can't even remember off hand all the different manufacturers. None of then will allow a Semi Wadcutter to feed reliably.
I have half a dozen 1911's and about all I shoot is Semi wadcutters. Your OAL looks fine.
Are all of your magazines extra capacity? 8 rounds instead of 7?
My feeding issues were solved when I ditched the extra capacity mags. Some of my 1911's will work with them and some turn into jam O matics.

Is your breech face clean and smooth? One gun I had developed a protrusion around the firing pin where it sticks through the breech face which caught on the rim and caused nose up jams like you are experiencing.

· Registered
7,826 Posts
After everybody went home last night I went out into the man cave and tore it down again. I wanted to check the breech face and polish it if necessary, but before I tore it down, I chambered a bunch of dummy rounds both slow and fast and watched how they exited the mag and entered the chamber.

The face was not smooth by any means, so I dug out the Dremel tool, some polishing compound and some buffing wheels.

This face is not the best looking in my Stack or Stuff, I can see and feel machining marks.

I polished the hell out of it and got it smooth and shiny, but no way was I going to polish away all the machining makes, but it is "smoother" and nice and bright.

While I had the Dremel out I polished the hell out of the extractor. I had "tuned" it with a file and smoothed it out with some 200 grit but I didn't polish it. It is now bright, smooth as a baby's ***.

Put it all back together and things are looking good. The dummy rounds (both ball and semi-wadcutters) just slip right in (fast or slow). They never did that before. I'm very optimistic.

I'm going to take it out and test fire it later today. It's -19 with 10-15 MPH winds, that's -32* wind chill. It's supposed to warm up to -8 by noon so I will head out then.

Thanks for the help and I think we got it.
Hope you have your problem fixed. Some of these guns take a little patience and a little tinkering but are worth the effort in the end.
My son and I are heading out this afternoon to play with his Kimber Camp Guard 10. We've got about the same wind but we're currently sitting at a balmy 10 degrees.

Reactions: steve4102

· Registered
7,826 Posts
See, now you can be dangling **** like that in my face, now I might have to buy another 10.

I have a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10 and a Rock Island 10 that I had Bobbed and Cerokoted.
I love the 10 and I really love the Bob.

If I can get this Kimber to run flawlessly, I am going to have it Bobbed as well.

Got a photo of that bad boy?
Just a pic off the net

Reactions: steve4102

· Registered
7,826 Posts
Nice looking pistols. The bobbed grips really make a difference in a carry pistol.
My Sig Nightmare carrys as easily as a compact.
However I went a different direction on my carry pistol. I modified an officers frame to fit a government model slide in an imitation of my Detonics Streetmaster.
Now that I have my milling machine up and running I'm going to try making my own 1911.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.