Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Pro II that has been giving me some problems.

Originally it would not feed or eject worth a darn. Ball ammo was the best and Semi-wadcutters were the worst.

I just installed a Wilson Combat extractor and a 22 lb recoil spring.

I took it out this morning for a test run.

The 230 Ball fed without issue, the Semi-wadcutters still no go.

Now that it will reliably feed the Ball I still have an ejection issue.

The brass ejects in every direction and not very far. Some goes right a foot or two, some goes left a foot, some even goes forward a foot or two, but most "still" ejects right into my face or bounces of the brim of my hat.

If the extractor was not the problem, what is the cause and how can I fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Extractor tuning in a 1911 is a bit of an art form. It is not simply a case of putting a new one in but it needs to have certain edges cleaned up just right and the right amount of bend and tension to do the job. With the right tuning ( best left to someone who is well versed in them) ejection will be solved. Fancy 1911’s are notorious for being finicky to get running and the feed issue could be the feed ramp barrel fitting magazines etc.

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Extractor tuning in a 1911 is a bit of an art form. It is not simply a case of putting a new one in but it needs to have certain edges cleaned up just right and the right amount of bend and tension to do the job. With the right tuning ( best left to someone who is well versed in them) ejection will be solved. Fancy 1911’s are notorious for being finicky to get running and the feed issue could be the feed ramp barrel fitting magazines etc.
Thanks.
Know of a good "well versed in them" that I can send it to?

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brass not ejecting far sounds like the gun may be over sprung for the load you are using. What weight recoil spring are you using?
Factory Spring was 18 lbs.

New spring is 22 lbs.

Ejection in the face is the same with both.

All loads cause the same in the face ejection.

My main load is Lead, coated, 230gr Lee RN with 4.5gr WST. OAL from 1.90-2.45.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’m not familiar with Kimber 1911’s. How long of a barrel do you have there? I love Commander sized 1911’s and own several. I run a 20# recoil spring in mine as recommended by Ed Brown. One put over 8,000 rounds through one of my Browns with not one failure. To the point, none of my 3 Commander sized 1911’s (two in 45 acp and 1 in 38 super) eject spent shells in what I consider a normal, consistent pattern. They all will eject anywhere from 1 o’clock, to hitting me in the face. I do believe your recoil spring is too heavy if you have a Commander size pistol. That would explain the short distance your spent shells are being ejected. I guess what I’m saying is that 1911 pistols shorter than a government model may not eject shells as consistent as other pistols .

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Factory Spring was 18 lbs.

New spring is 22 lbs.

Ejection in the face is the same with both.

All loads cause the same in the face ejection.

My main load is Lead, coated, 230gr Lee RN with 4.5gr WST. OAL from 1.90-2.45.
What is the profile on the front of your ejector like? Is it relatively square or is it angled rearward?

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
SWC bullets so reloads ?? PL is to low or springs to heavy . OAL of cartridge is to short or to long maybe even amount of crimp . I have a 200gr swc load with OAL of 1.235 that feeds in a number of 45acp kahrs 1911's ruger my friends or I have including a new commander with a 20lb spring . maybe you should let a more experienced 1911 guy give it a try . My wifes kimbers a running machine .

Guess You have had the extractor tension checked and looked for any burns and sharp bottom edge to the extractor that could be smoothed .

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Springfield compact that would always throw brass in my face. I changed the ejector to something like this which fixed my ejection problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-Ex...hash=item35aa0c5325:m:m42lBXQx3FP-JEWvtyMql-Q

I don't know what Kimber uses for ejectors but some have a long and short leg like above and some have 2 long legs along with different widths.
Thanks, I just did this, I will test it out after Christmas. Hope I didn't screw it up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM36vFc5og

Reactions: 1L26

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Thanks, I just did this, I will test it out after Christmas. Hope I didn't screw it up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM36vFc5og
Go in small increments. It's easy to take a little more off but hard to add it back on. Be sure to leave the length at the bottom the same.
Hopefully this will help with your ejection issues.

To your problem with semi wadcutters, do they feed into the chamber but not seat all the way or do they not feed at all?

·
NRA Life Member
13,475 Posts
Wadcutters failing to load is often magazine related. There are several reasons for it. Try a Tripp Research magazine or look into changing your magazine springs to Wolff springs to help prevent nose diving.

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go in small increments. It's easy to take a little more off but hard to add it back on. Be sure to leave the length at the bottom the same.
Hopefully this will help with your ejection issues.

To your problem with semi wadcutters, do they feed into the chamber but not seat all the way or do they not feed at all?
They are not to long, they feed about 75% of the time.

If I feed one and remove it for inspection there is a nice smiley dent just below (1/16-3/16) the crimp.

This happens with OAL from 1.250-1.200.

There is also a pretty substantial dent in the nose of the bullet.

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wadcutters failing to load is often magazine related. There are several reasons for it. Try a Tripp Research magazine or look into changing your magazine springs to Wolff springs to help prevent nose diving.
I don't think they are nose diving, I think they are nose up and the nose is hitting the top of the chamber.

I have four other 1911 in 45 with a lot of mags. Can't even remember off hand all the different manufacturers. None of then will allow a Semi Wadcutter to feed reliably.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I don't think they are nose diving, I think they are nose up and the nose is hitting the top of the chamber.

I have four other 1911 in 45 with a lot of mags. Can't even remember off hand all the different manufacturers. None of then will allow a Semi Wadcutter to feed reliably.
I have half a dozen 1911's and about all I shoot is Semi wadcutters. Your OAL looks fine.
Are all of your magazines extra capacity? 8 rounds instead of 7?
My feeding issues were solved when I ditched the extra capacity mags. Some of my 1911's will work with them and some turn into jam O matics.

Is your breech face clean and smooth? One gun I had developed a protrusion around the firing pin where it sticks through the breech face which caught on the rim and caused nose up jams like you are experiencing.

·
Banned
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have half a dozen 1911's and about all I shoot is Semi wadcutters. Your OAL looks fine.
Are all of your magazines extra capacity? 8 rounds instead of 7?
My feeding issues were solved when I ditched the extra capacity mags. Some of my 1911's will work with them and some turn into jam O matics.

Is your breech face clean and smooth? One gun I had developed a protrusion around the firing pin where it sticks through the breech face which caught on the rim and caused nose up jams like you are experiencing.
I'll go out to the man cave and check it out.

This is the only 1911 I have that will not eat Semi-wadcutters. I have a Kimber 3 inch compact, that eats them just fine as well as my Paras, Dan Wessions and rock Island.

Mags, some are 8 most are seven.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts