close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Extra Power Recoil springs could damage your Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Putok-Glock, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Have a glock 35 thats been perfect for more than a year of 2-3x a week regular shooting, until yesterday...installed a 22 lb recoil spring from ISMI then after 58 successive rounds the slide cracked in the breach face such that the firing pin hole was enlarged to 3x its orig size. maybe due to excessively strong spring pressure when the slide returns to lock-up. and the breach absorbed most of it. maybe. Can anybody think of any other probable cause? Glock is perfect. we dont need after market parts and accessories such as this. or glocks are deffective that they cant durably function w/ this parts. Either way, BEWARE! :soap:

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Probably a fluke and a coinsidence. Even though there is absolutley no reason to run a 22 lb spring in a 40 I doubt it is the cause of the problem.

BTW, the guns are good not perfect.

3. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

I was testing the effect/adventage of a heavier spring over the standard weight in felt recoil. Fact is, its my 1st time to use non-orig parts in it.

And yes, the guns are good.

Another thing, I temporarily replaced the g35 slide w/ my g22 slide. Fits perfect only the barrel protrudes 3/4" out in front. I havent tried shooting it yet, but I intend to in a couple of days. Kinda liked the looks very much. Again, just experimenting.;)

4. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Putok,

Sorry about your cracked slide,i have said for years that a spring in the 20-24lb.catagory can't be good for the breech face(slide in general),barrel lug and the "slide lock lever"(not slide stop lever).I beleive that your crack could be caused by the 22lb'r,especially if the barrel hood is contacting the breech face as so many barrels do.
    Have you ever dry slammed(released the slide without feeding a cartridge) the slide with the 22lb'r?
    A 22lb.spring is quite a stones through from the stock 17lb'er.

5. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

No I havent dry slammed it w/ the 22# spring. Even w/ the 17# I seldom do it. Not my habit. But I noticed w/ the 22# the slide action is very fast when a round is fired. It cycles so fast that I cannot feel or sense the slide is cycling. With a 17#er, if i focus on the top of the slide as i fire, I can see the slide cycling and the empties eject. But w/ a 22#er, I cant, no matter how hard i focused on it.

So if the market wont protect us from this, considering our equipment and its accessories are very expensive, we must share and learn from each others mistakes and know what not to buy.:(

6. jcmios

jcmios

I run the other end of the spectrum with a ISMI 13lbs spring, almost zero recoil and follow up shots and double tap is a cake walk.

Yet I doubt the cause of the slide crack was from your heavy recoil spring. Sent it back to Glock but leave out the 22lbs spring info.

7. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Hi fellow GTers,

After careful investigation, I need to ammend my earlier statements for the benefit of fellow glock users:

1. Custom Glock Racing is right, the 22#er recoil spring cannot be the cause of the cracked breech face. When the breech is closed w/ a round in the chamber, the breech face does not exert enough pressure on the case head to damage itself even w/ an extra heavy rec. spring.

2. W/ the enlarged/damaged firing pin hole, I was able to see how the firing mechanism works inside the firing pin channel. Every time the striker is released by the sear, the shoulder behind the firing pin hammers the inside face of the breech face. W/ an empty chamber, this impact is more pronounced. But I can't tell how much this force is reduced if the chamber has a snap cap or a live round. I qualify this particular condition because as a sport shooter, I dry fired this G35 for about 2 hrs daily for more than a year, but always w/ a snap cap.

3. My predicament is not an isolated one. In fact in my place, The occurrence of this case and similar ones are too numerous to ignore. And all are glocks. Pls read my other thread in GT under Band of Glockers, SOS on Glock 35.

If such is the case,is Glock Inc. doing something about it aside from replacing damaged slides?

8. CovertPenguins

CovertPenguins Member Me

I tried heavier springs in my Glocks, but took them out. I didn't notice much difference in shooting, and with as much as I take the gun apart to clean, the added tension was more of a hassle than anything.

9. pbass

pbass