Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sorting through my CC options over the last few years (seems like forever) and have arrived at a point where I've got a Gen 4 G19 with tac light for HD and other chores where cover garments aren't an issue ... and a Gen 4 G26 for 99% of the time.

Both guns are about as close to 100% reliable as you can get with any firearm and when I shoot them side-by-side in IDPA matches it's just about a toss up as to which gun wins ... so I'm equally confident in either gun.

After sorting through smaller, pocket-size CC options, I've decided at the moment to dedicate my CCing to the 26. Spending 8 months of each year in AZ and the rest 'up north' (where I also have a CC permit to complement the AZ permit), I'm not overly concerned about printing, but I'm always aware of the nuances related to bulky guns and long pistol grips.

Along those lines, I wonder how many of you baby Glock CC'ers are using GAP floor plates on the stock magazines and how many are just saying, 'what the heck'? and using +2 extensions from Glock or Pearce Grip? Most of the time I shuffle in and out of my vehicle on errands, shopping, eating, etc with my 26 in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment horse hide tuckable holster at about 12:15 (which helps prevent the dig into my right thigh when seated).

On the one hand, I like the extra capacity and pinky grip; on the other, I like the idea of going stock with no pinky support. I've shot the gun both ways in IDPA matches and don't seem to feel a lot of issues with the stock mag and no pinky purchase. On the other hand, in order to fit into the IDPA box for BUG guns, the G26 won't cut it with any kind of pinky extension. So, I've been tracking on the potential of some new Gee Plate mag bottoms that duplicate the GAP plates and will still fit into the BUG box.

I'd appreciate any feedback on those of you who are inclined in either direction: extension or au naturel. And those who go au naturel, do GAP plates make it THAT much easier to draw, shoot and change mags with a baby Glock?

Thanks for the wisdom, brothers and sisters ...

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
When I was carrying the G27 I found out how to carry it will a 13 round magazine also. I never had a problem with reliability, ever.

I also never put my fingers on the extended magazine since I didn't want to pull it back in the grip, with a potential for causing reloading cycling problems. I tried to see how little grip I could use on the gun and still get reliable functioning. I can shoot it with only two fingers holding the grip and still not cause a malfunction. YMMV.

NOTE:
I said I never touched the magazine extending out from the grip, to forestall any effects on the reliable cycling of the gun. I didn't experience anything to cause me to do this, it was just preventative on my part.

(Once I found how to carry with an extended grip, I found out how to carry with an extended muzzle and now I carry a G41 concealed. I was carrying a 4" .357 Magnum revolver prior to the G41.)

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
I pocket carry my G26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster au naturel. Any bigger, longer or fatter wouldn't work for normal jeans pockets. As it is, I often think of removing the sights for smoother draw. I think Colt offered a compact 1911 with no sights a few years ago. Maybe Kimber. Just a groove along top of the slide.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For me and the G26 carried daily I use the stock 10rd magazine. It was that way for yrs due to the conceal factor. No GAP floor plates for me. Lately after a lot of testing at the range of the Magpul 12rd magazines I've adopted them into my EDC and can't be more pleased.

IMO you've made an excellent choice in the G26 as your EDC.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I pretty much always carry with the +2. I have to have a reason like a poor cover garment to change to flush magazines.

·
Registered
19,554 Posts
Isn’t there a multi page thread on mags for the G26 already? Updated today even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I agree buying the smallest gun possible then adding stuff to it is about as zero sense as you can get. I stick with flush floor plates and curl my little finger under the flat base which seems to lock the pistol into the grip pretty well. If someone is not happy doing this and insists on having room for the pinky get a bigger gun out of the gate

·
Registered
998 Posts
I agree buying the smallest gun possible then adding stuff to it is about as zero sense as you can get. I stick with flush floor plates and curl my little finger under the flat base which seems to lock the pistol into the grip pretty well. If someone is not happy doing this and insists on having room for the pinky get a bigger gun out of the gate
When I carry OWB, the back of the grip is what potentially prints, not the front, where the extension is.

Shooting better could be a good reason.

·
Registered
485 Posts
g
I pocket carry my G26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster au naturel. Any bigger, longer or fatter wouldn't work for normal jeans pockets. As it is, I often think of removing the sights for smoother draw. I think Colt offered a compact 1911 with no sights a few years ago. Maybe Kimber. Just a groove along top of the slide.[/QUOT

guttersnipe think it was kimber

·
Registered
542 Posts
The absolute essence of the G26 (27/33) is best appreciated by being able to skillfully shoot it without the need for the pinky.

The GAP floorplates* is best for those who carry deep IWB, when a portion of the already small grip is concealed below the pant/belt line. In a stressful situation, there is risk of fumbling the draw. The GAP floorplate helps overcome that by acting like a hook that will help your grip fall into place as the firearm is coming out of its holster. There are other benefits too, but I find that is the most important.

* GAP Enterprises has mysteriously disappeared from the marketplace in early 2017. Look up https://www.geeplate.com/ instead.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The +2 increases the length of the frontstrap but barely changes the length of the backstrap - which is where printing can occur for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.