close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Extension tubes?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by CheesyD, Jul 15, 2004.

1. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

Anyone have experience with extension tubes? I was considering adding a macro lens but someone suggested extension tubes as a less expensive alternative. My FM2n is all manual so I'm not concerned about any loss of AF capability. I'd be using the tube(s) on 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/2, and 200mm f/4 lenses. None of which are macro lenses. I'd be using these for nature-based macros. Are tubes the way to go or should I bite the bullet and fork over the cash for a pricey macro lens?

2. agony

agony

Extension tubes work fine. They are a good cheap alternative to buying a dedicated macro. However, you may soon find that the distance from lens to subject is rather short, which may limit you in the long run. Especially with complicated light sources.

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

Agreed.

I have a Nikon set for the manual SLRs which work as you think they should.

Digital and auto focus are an entirely new matter. Lenses or supplemental lenses are needed.

-GS
    ;g

4. WERA49

WERA49

A ring flash might help.

5. T. Harless

T. Harless

Edge sharpness will suffer with extension tubes.

6. T. Harless

T. Harless

GS, Of course you'd lose you AF but what would be the difference with a digital camera? Say your tubes on my D100. I haven't tried it, I couldn't even readily lay hands on my Nikon tubes. Not saying you're wrong at all I just don't understand why.

Todd

7. noway

noway

Not only the distance to the subject is a limitation but your exposure time will be a little bit longer.

{Are tubes the way to go or should I bite the bullet and fork over the cash for a pricey macro lens?}

An another alternative aif you don't want the expensive ext tubes are to purchase a set of closeup lens in the form a screw-on ring type.

do a search online for the canon 250 & 500 close up lens or Nikon 5T. I bought mind thru B&H photo and one from ebay

I have 2 sets from canon and 1 from nikon and uses these for close up work. I perfer these over the extension tube since the overall length is slighty less. They work with your existing ring size or can be adapted via a step-down ( or is it called a step-up) filter ring adapter. My favorite setup today is a Nikon 5T closeup set ona 62-58 adpater ring and I used this on most of my canon and mamiya 58mm thread lens.

i.e in this case the closeup lens is 62mm and the adpater allows for the 62-to-58 interchange.

good luck and macro is a total different world where light measure and DOF are very critical.

8. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

Thanks for the replies. I just purchased a Micro-Nikkor 105mm off of eBay.

9. T. Harless

T. Harless

Good decision. The 105 is a great lens. Far superior results than tubes or especially close up filters. Post to us a good macro photo.

10. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

I'll sure try. The seller is in Canada so it might be awhile. :)