Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G22 extended mag release? To much hangover? wanna carry. Heard horror stories of em releasing at bad times etc. Defiantly doing the slide stop, but should i go for the release ext.? Thanks @

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
I've carried my G35 that comes with the extended magazine catch and slide stop. No issues. The best thing the mag catch is reloading during matches mainly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
For anything other than shooting in matches I would not want the extended mag release, from personal experiance I took mine off my G22. However everyone has their own tastes.

·
Banned
915 Posts
G22 extended mag release? To much hangover? wanna carry. Heard horror stories of em releasing at bad times etc. Defiantly doing the slide stop, but should i go for the release ext.? Thanks @
My EDC has it (g19) and I cannot count the number of times I've pulled it and the mag fell to the floor. I now am in the habit or randomly "pressing on my mag to ensure it's locked in...

·
Registered
521 Posts
ive read lots of good things about the vickers/tango down mag release, its longer then stock, but not as long as the glock extended...i have one on the way....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
wow guys thanks for the great responses, I think im getting a kit that comes with it in it, a 3.5 connector and the ext slide lever. so i may just look into filling it down a bit or something to that nature, can always take it out to. great feedback thanks @ The vickers does look perfect >.>

·
NRA Life Member
1,758 Posts
Get the Vickers. Perfect length and rounded corners.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
For anything other than shooting in matches I would not want the extended mag release, from personal experiance I took mine off my G22. However everyone has their own tastes.
I concur 100%

·
Registered
147 Posts
just so we have a voice from the other side. On my Glock 19, the mag release was just too damned short. So, I pulled it, and slipped in a Lone Wolf extended mag release, and then stole one of my wife's nail file sandpaper boards, and started sanding until it was exactly the height I wanted and exactly the roundess I wanted. I pulled it out once to finish the edges without marring the grips, and then used a serrated blade to cut 4 notches across the top. A dab of wax on the top so it looks pretty and back in the gun.

It now sticks out "The right amount for my hand" is rounded the way my hand likes, and doesn't catch on my holster. I'm MUCH HAPPIER.

The original factory Glock release is in a little baggie in the bottom of the factory tupperware in the back of the closet for when or if I ever sell this gun, but that seems very very unlikely.

The Lone Wolf extended release is way too long, but perfect for cutting down to personalize, and it's dead easy to do.

In general, I agree with the "Don't screw with your carry gun" principle, but I could NOT reliably get the factory release one handed. I just couldn't. Now I can. I'm much happier.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I installed an extended mag release and slide lock on a G19 that I use for range practice. My carry guns are stock.

·
Registered
846 Posts
just so we have a voice from the other side. On my Glock 19, the mag release was just too damned short. So, I pulled it, and slipped in a Lone Wolf extended mag release, and then stole one of my wife's nail file sandpaper boards, and started sanding until it was exactly the height I wanted and exactly the roundess I wanted. I pulled it out once to finish the edges without marring the grips, and then used a serrated blade to cut 4 notches across the top. A dab of wax on the top so it looks pretty and back in the gun.

It now sticks out "The right amount for my hand" is rounded the way my hand likes, and doesn't catch on my holster. I'm MUCH HAPPIER.

The original factory Glock release is in a little baggie in the bottom of the factory tupperware in the back of the closet for when or if I ever sell this gun, but that seems very very unlikely.

The Lone Wolf extended release is way too long, but perfect for cutting down to personalize, and it's dead easy to do.

In general, I agree with the "Don't screw with your carry gun" principle, but I could NOT reliably get the factory release one handed. I just couldn't. Now I can. I'm much happier.
thats fine i guess,but the vickers is a drop in and its PERFECT-jeff

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the Vickers on my G19 and it's perfect. I didn't like the factory extended mag release; to long.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I put the extended mag release on my 23 that I carry. I have been carrying it for about a year now and have not had any issue what so ever.

Now when I installed it I found that it was a little to long for my taste (about a 1/4 inch longer). I filed it down about half its extra length ~1/8in and it is perfect for me now.

They are very cheap and easy to install. I would say get one and try it out.
If it feels to long file some of the length off.

I put it on mine because I found that I was shifting my grip to much when releasing the mag, now I don't have to shift my grip at all.

·
NRA Life Member
1,758 Posts
...or just get a Vickers and you won't have to file anything down.

·
you son of a
1,410 Posts
I have short fingers so I installed extended mag releases on all my Glocks that will take them, my G17, G19, G26. (There isn't one for the G21SF, yet.) No problems for me.

One thing I did was make sure the releases cleared my holsters and didn't rub on them, so there was no chance they would activate at the wrong time.

·
NRA Life Member
1,758 Posts
I have short fingers so I installed extended mag releases on all my Glocks that will take them, my G17, G19, G26. (There isn't one for the G21SF, yet.) No problems for me.

One thing I did was make sure the releases cleared my holsters and didn't rub on them, so there was no chance they would activate at the wrong time.
Right. The only holster I had that the mag catch hit was a cheapo Fobus. A few seconds with the Dremel relieved the area.

·
Señor Member
316 Posts
I have the factory extended mag release, and for me it's too long. I used a dremel and rounded the corners and edges and it's still protruding too much for me (bothers me when I hold & shoot the gun) so I took it out.... anybody want it before I throw it away? The good thing is that it's made of plastic so you can dremel or file the release down to whatever size/length that you want.

The factory extended slide release is one of the best mods I did, but that's a different topic altogether.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts