close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

extended slide release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zukyota, Jan 12, 2010.

1. zukyota

zukyota

I have a new model 30 sf & would like to install an extended slide release. Are their any issues with this install ? Will it cause any probs with the function of the gun ? Are all these extended release aftermarket or does Glock offer them ?

2. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

I'm sure there is an aftermarket part available somewhere, but Glock does make their own extended releases in-house.

It's a very simple job. Anyone who knows what they're doing can do it for you in about a minute.

3. Glocked and Loaded

Glocked and Loaded

Glock makes them and there should be no problems with it. My friend has one on his 23 and it works great. I have a 30sf too and will throw in a question as well.
    Does the 30 have a different one from a smaller Glock? or do the bigger Glocks have different sized ones.

I'm referring to the slide stop lever not slide lock.

4. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

I think the part is identical regardless of model.

5. Swamprattler

Swamprattler

According to the glock manual, the extended magazine release is for the 9's and 40's only, and not recommended for the 45's. This has always seemed odd to me, because they come stock in all three 45 GAP's. I also know several people with 21sf's, that installed them, and have had no problems in hundreds of rounds. It seems confusing to me.

6. Kwanger

Kwanger

The install is very simple and you can do it yourself. All you basically need to do is push the trigger pin out, replace lever,then put the pin back in. The only thing you might have a slight issue with is getting the pin to move in the first place, and again when reinstalling. What you need to do is waggle the slide stop lever around while putting pressure on the pin, and it'll move.

If all of this sounds greek to you, a quick look at a few youtube videos will help you understand.

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I installed Glock's extended slide release (aka, slide stop lever) and extended magazine release in my G19. Both were quite easy to do. FWIW, I highly recommend the Ptomma "The Complete Glock Reference Guide" manual. Price is $29.95.

8. Hairy

Hairy

Easy, cheap to do and very handy, at least for me.

9. GlockCannon

GlockCannon Glock-a-holic

A question for you guys.

The slide stop lever functions only as a slide stop, you can release the slide manually bij pressing the slide stop en pulling the slide back and releasing it.
    I was thaught that the slide stop is only that, a slide stop, and can be harmfull to use it as an easy/quick 1 handed release so its slams back in battery.

So here's my question, whats the purpose of an extended slide stop lever?

10. seaswol

seaswol NRA Life Member

The 9/40 and GAP models use the same size lower and I guess the extended release was designed only for the smaller frame and not the 29/30/20/21 size lower. I like the one I have on my 21SF.
    Chris

11. jmb79

jmb79

1. Yes, you can install the Glock OE extended slide stop in your G30SF. I have done so in my G30SF.

2. I have before heard or read that using the slide stop to release the slide will damage a Glock (or any other pistol for that matter). I don't believe that it will.

3. While I prefer releasing the slide with the "hand over slide" method (as opposed to the sling shot method) I still install the OE extended slide stop on all my Glocks. I do this because the extended lever makes it easier to release the slide one handed using my thumb (right handeds shooter). I want to have the option of releasing the slide with my right thumb because it is conceivable that my left hand/arm would be injured, incapacitated or otherwise occupied when I needed to release the slide. It is simply a matter of trying to always have a back up plan.

Note that no matter what type of pistol I am using, I always prefer to use the hand over slide method of releasing the slide and that includes 1911 style pistols.

12. Kwanger

Kwanger

What you are describing is what conventional wisdom is teaching. Some people, however, just want to use the release, and this is a way for them to do that more easily.

Me personally, I do slingshot the slide but as mentioned earlier, I got the extended release because for me (as a lefty in particular) it helps me get a purchase on it when I want to lock it open. If I got a very bad stoppage that can't be cleared with tap and rack, I'd want the extended on to help me lock the slide back, especially under stress.

13. teh raven

teh raven

I agree with this post 100%.

Although I always use the hand over slide method when shooting, it's nice to have that easier slide release if by chance one of my arms becomes injured and am forced to use my weapon with one hand. More or less it's one of those "it's there when you need it" deals for me.

14. prospero1919

prospero1919

I have the glock (oem) extended release on my 30sf and 22 and will soon have one on my 19 (on backorder) . Works great and very easy to install - you just need to make sure the top portion of the spring is beneath the top pin (on 3 pin models) or it will not work correctly. For a good picture - go to this thread and scroll down to the middle of the page.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154140

Butch always has great pictures!!!!!!

15. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

Why would using the slide lock lever to release the slide back forward when changing magazines be harmful? I am thinking it is fine, it would be no different than shooting the gun and it reloading itself as you do so. it slams back forward just the same there as using the lever to release it doesn't it??? Just my line of thikning, tell me if I am wrong...

And I am installing an extended release as soon as it shows up in the mail! Hope I like it.

16. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I have never had an issue with the one installed on my G30, but do recall it being incompatible with my G36 even though it appeared to install just fine. can't remember exactly what issue it caused but it was taken out for a reason.

17. G36_Me

G36_Me

Unless I'm confused (happens at times), Glock does not list a Slide Stop Lever & Spring Extended for the G30.

The Armorer's Parts List has:
    SP 07496 9mm, .40, .357 (not 2-pin guns)
    SP 07489 for 2 pin guns G17, G17L, G34 (1986-mid02002)
    SP 01034 for the .45 GAP pistols

Unless Glock has updated their info from mid 2009, there is no "Slide Stop Lever & Spring Extended" for your G30SF.

As to your use of a Glock Approved Extended SSL on a gun, go for it and use it. I view it as personal preference (I don't use them, so what)

Regards.

18. G36_Me

G36_Me

Some one may have tried to "modify" another SSL for you. When they do that, some times you have luck, other times you do not.

Do this on your G36:

1. make gun safe
    2. make gun safe again
    3. make gun safe again again
    4. drop mag
    5. pull trigger
    6.. field strip gun

now.........
    holding the frame, look at the SSL
    no way for it to move

now...
    slowing insert an "unloaded" (again unloaded) mag

notice how the magazine follower has a 'little dent' on it that pushes the SSL up. this will cause the slide to 'lock back' after firing the last round of the mag.

What some people will do is use an extended SSL from a different model gun and 'file' away some on the tab of the SSL, trying to accomplish a 'fitting' of the SSL to the mag. I would not do it.

19. i80mel

i80mel

So why wouldn't you make one to work on the 36??? if it is filed to the same contour as the original what difference would it make??

20. telecster

telecster

I replaced both the slide lock and release on my G20. Makes things a lot easier.