Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
1,167 Posts
I've used one in the past without issue and I'd use one in the future if I felt it useful for me (it does make disassembly easier). There's not much to it, certainly nothing that would be a "nightmare".

·
"Old Bill"
2,650 Posts
Have put them on all my Glocks except the 42 and 43. Have not found them a problem. I find them a great help for those of us with old fingers!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not at all. All of my Glocks have them and I would not purchase or carry one w/o...

The double sided one on the G19M was a little annoying...but it's fine.

·
1911 lover
10,155 Posts
When i got my first 17-C early 90's i had a hard time getting the slide released.. tried to use a dish towel to help.. but my daughter has long nails and it hard for her to release the slide.. i learned a long time ago to do it easily.. but it can be very tricky teaching new to glock shooters..
So I like the extended ones.

·
1911 lover
10,155 Posts
I dont see any downside using the extended parts.. if i gave you my glock to shoot unless you were going to remove the slide you would not notice..

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Not at all. All of my Glocks have them and I would not purchase or carry one w/o...

The double sided one on the G19M was a little annoying...but it's fine.
You seem to be talking about slide stop levers. The OP is talking about slide locks... nearer the muzzle.

All Glock slide locks are "double sided".

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
If you can't pull the OEM slide lock down, then yes, they work fine. but be sure to install it facing the right way.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I’ve got 2 Gen 3s, a Gen 4, and a Gen 5– none of the standard slide locks have bothered my thumb/finger. Not sure about the longer ones.
*I have extended slide locks on my 9mm Glocks and have no issues with grip , finger tips , etc. Since I now use the "sling shot" method of loading fresh rounds into the chamber. I don't even use the slide lock any more , so I could do fine with the stock one .

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I will be getting my LE trade in Gen 3 G21 tomorrow. Are the extended slide locks on the Gen 3 a nightmare on the fingertips? I am gathering info. on this gun so I can buy an extended slide lock to make it easier to disassemble.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1728117374
1) I find the stock lock levers to be almost useless.
I don't like "digging around" to get an even grip on the lever.

2) Never was a fan of the common straight profile extended levers.

3) I noticed that Walther uses a "trapezoidal" shape on their levers.
This gives instant purchase with minimal projection out from the frame.

4) All my Glocks have these (DelTac)...

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
*I have extended slide locks on my 9mm Glocks and have no issues with grip , finger tips , etc. Since I now use the "sling shot" method of loading fresh rounds into the chamber. I don't even use the slide lock any more , so I could do fine with the stock one .
We are talking about the slide lock, not the slide stop. The slide stop locks and releases the slide, the slide lock is what holds the slide onto the frame. Slide lock lever shown above, this is the slide stop.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
We are talking about the slide lock, not the slide stop. The slide stop locks and releases the slide, the slide lock is what holds the slide onto the frame. Slide lock lever shown above, this is the slide stop.

Glock nomenclature is a bit weird and these two parts get confused all the time because of it and the design of the pistol (no takedown lever).
I wish that this part was officially called the "Slide Catch"

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Glock parts names are very logical and refer to what the part does during the firing cycle. There are three parts that are most often misnamed.

SLIDE LOCK - Locks the slide assembly to the frame assembly while the pistol cycles. "Takedown Lever" is wrong because the pistol does not "take itself down" as it cycles. It is NOT a "Slide Lock Lever" because there is no fulcrum about which some sort of mechanical advantage is gained.

SLIDE STOP LEVER - Used to stop the slide from closing on an empty magazine as the pistol cycles. "Slide Lock" is wrong because there's already a part with that name. "Slide Release" is wrong because the pistol does not release the slide as it cycles. (Also, historically long ago Glock discouraged the use of this part to release the slide.)

MAGAZINE CATCH - Catches (holds) the magazine in place as the pistol cycles. "Magazine Release" is wrong because the magazine is not released as the pistol cycles. (There are however some old editions of the Glock owner's manual in which "magazine release" is used at least once.)

There are several other Glock part names that newbies mess up:

FIRING PIN - Not "striker".

FIRING PIN SAFETY - Not "Plunger". Not "Block".

RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY - Not "Guide Rod".

MAGAZINE FLOORPLATE - Not "Baseplate".

CONNECTOR - Not "Disconnector".

There are less than 35 parts in a Glock pistol, including the magazine. It is not too challenging to know and use on a Glock-specific pistol forum what Glock calls them. To do otherwise puts the user in the same league as those who call the magazine a "clip" and the cartridges "bullets" or "shells". :)

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
Glock parts names are very logical and refer to what the part does during the firing cycle. There are three parts that are most often misnamed.

SLIDE LOCK - Locks the slide assembly to the frame assembly while the pistol cycles. "Takedown Lever" is wrong because the pistol does not "take itself down" as it cycles. It is NOT a "Slide Lock Lever" because there is no fulcrum about which some sort of mechanical advantage is gained.

SLIDE STOP LEVER - Used to stop the slide from closing on an empty magazine as the pistol cycles. "Slide Lock" is wrong because there's already a part with that name. "Slide Release" is wrong because the pistol does not release the slide as it cycles. (Also, historically long ago Glock discouraged the use of this part to release the slide.)

MAGAZINE CATCH - Catches (holds) the magazine in place as the pistol cycles. "Magazine Release" is wrong because the magazine is not released as the pistol cycles. (There are however some old editions of the Glock owner's manual in which "magazine release" is used at least once.)

There are several other Glock part names that newbies mess up:

FIRING PIN - Not "striker".

FIRING PIN SAFETY - Not "Plunger". Not "Block".

RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY - Not "Guide Rod".

MAGAZINE FLOORPLATE - Not "Baseplate".

CONNECTOR - Not "Disconnector".

There are less than 35 parts in a Glock pistol, including the magazine. It is not too challenging to know and use on a Glock-specific pistol forum what Glock calls them. To do otherwise puts the user in the same league as those who call the magazine a "clip" and the cartridges "bullets" or "shells". :)
I love you, man! :cheers: And I thought I was alone in my quest for proper and correct nomenclature in the firearms industry.

I retired from VA (Department of Veterans Affairs). That department has NOT been called Veterans Administration for 30+ years... but everyone still does. Drives me batty! I've called national news outlets to correct them. But just like Glock and other firearm misnomers, it will likely never change. :(

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I have a 2003 G22. The OEM slide lock gave me fits for many years. I purchased an NDZ tapered extended slide lock and my Glock life is much improved.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
I have a 2003 G22. The OEM slide lock gave me fits for many years. I purchased an NDZ tapered extended slide lock and my Glock life is much improved.
I think it was the NDZ that irritated my thumb, so I went back to stock. This was on a racegun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts