Extended mags

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by FM12, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Just reintroduced to Glocks (23C) with new job and I was wondering about getting some extended mags for back up.

Found some 22 rounders (160 MM length) for like 36.00 Would adapt my extra mag carriers to accommodate them.

Anyone with any experience with these? Pros/cons/dos/donts? Currently using the standard Glock mags for back up. (13 rounders?)

Thanks in advance. Man, I love this forum!!

2. collim1

collim1

I carried a G23 on patrol for a couple of years. This was quite a few years ago and the 22rd factory Glock mags were not available then.

I would think the 22rd mags would too long to carry comfortably in a double pouch in the front of your belt, especially when seated in the car.

If you really want some capacity I think 2 G22 mags with +2 baseplates would be more practical. You could even carry the G23 with a 13rd+2 baseplate mag. That would give you 50rds on your body.

In reality though you may still have trouble carrying G22 mag with +2's on them. The standard 15rd G22 would still give you a few extra rounds over the G23 mag.

A couple of loaded 22rd mags in the car wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

I just carried the normal G23 mags as reloads.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I would simply go with G22 (15 round) mags in an open top holder and be done with it. That would be 43+1... put a couple more in the war bag, and be done with it.:supergrin:

4. Schaffer

Schaffer

I agree with the 15 rounders. I see a few guys carrying the +2 extensions on their duty rigs.

Give the 15 rounders a shot.

5. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

I carry my 23C off duty with a 15rnd G22 mag as a spare. On duty I carry a G22C with two spare 15rd mags on my belt and three more in my gear bag. I haven't looked at the mag extensions for a while, but heard about some failures years ago. I decided a couple extra rounds wasn't worth the possibility of having a spring blow out and rounds dump all over the floor when I needed them most.

6. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

7. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

I carry a Glock 19 on duty, with two spare Glock 19 mags on my belt. That gives me 46 rounds total. Recently I added two 33 round 9mm mags inside my vest, down the front. They fit easily, and are not overly uncomfortable, or noticeable.

This means at any given time on a call, I have 112 rounds on me. If we ever are permitted to get different vest carriers, I'll add my G26 BUG as well. Right now, I have trouble carrying it securely.

It may sound like overkill... However, if something goes down, I'd hope that the offender runs dry before I do. This puts me at a major tactical advantage. I've heard stories about officers in gunfights on traffic stops gone bad, etc., where the officers ran out of ammo. That has to be a terrible feeling that I'd rather not experience.

I could put the magazines in my duty bag, but that will do me no good if I have to bail from my vehicle.

8. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Thanks for the responses. Gives me options I didnt know about!

See at least I knew where to come for answers/ideas!

9. Chowser

Chowser

just stick Glock 22 mags (15-rders) in your mag pouch.

We have two officers issued Glock 32s, they have the 13-rd mag in the gun, but on their belt I've issued them the standard 15-rd mag from the Glock 31.

I don't like carrying mags with extensions, I had one fail on me (original OEM Glock 33-rd magazine, no aftermarket parts) during a range day. no, mag was never dropped on the ground, wasnt used excessively, etc.

my 22-rd Glock mags for .40/.357 work great, but i just keep one in the car. if i make it back to the car with the ammo on me, i'm grabbing the long gun instead of spare mags for my handgun. i'll grab them if i can, but long gun definitely.

be safe!

10. tacops5372

tacops5372

Carry your G23c with a +2 oem extension in hoslter. 2 13rd magazines in mag pouch. Have 3 13round mags in gear bag. I carried this setup except for a G22 setup for years. But I agree with what Irishsheepdog54:

It may sound like overkill... However, if something goes down, I'd hope that the offender runs dry before I do. This puts me at a major tactical advantage. I've heard stories about officers in gunfights on traffic stops gone bad, etc., where the officers ran out of ammo. That has to be a terrible feeling that I'd rather not experience.

I could put the magazines in my duty bag, but that will do me no good if I have to bail from my vehicle

But I just added vest holster and carried a G27! I figured one way or another it give me enough time to get back to my gear bag to continue till back up arrives...But all honesty: The thought process is however you decide to do it? Its how you go home everynight... Good luck and be safe...

11. scccdoc

scccdoc

Where did you find them and are they "Glock"? Or aftermarket...............

12. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Exactly what I do with 17 mags and a duty 19.

13. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Link to articles?

The only incident I can think of that might come close is BoA / N Hollywood. I have never heard about a uniformed officer running out of ammo.

14. Chowser

Chowser

Glock makes 22rd mags for the .40 (and .357, works fine with .40 follower). aftermarket i think is 27 rds or something.

i haven't checked around lately, i ordered all mine last year, but just search Glock oem 22 rd. i think a few places have them in stock.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

The Glock brand 22 rounders are good to go, reliability wise, but they're awfully large for a mag pouch on a belt. When I carried a Glock 23, I used 15 round G22 mags with Glock brand +2 extensions for spares along with a standard 13 round G23 mag with a Glock +2 in the gun.

16. RocPO

RocPO

17. collim1

collim1

I haven't either. I've watched alot of videos and never even seen a mag change during a LE shooting.

I carry 37rds for my duty gun and a 5rd BUG and feel pretty good with that.

18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

19. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

:goodpost:

I agree, there is certainly a point of diminishing returns on how much ammo is carried, especially when it is for a pistol. IMHO, your sidearm should only be used when you didn't have a chance to bring a rifle/shotgun.

20. Schaffer

Schaffer

Not someone running out of ammo,but close.

The shoot out at city garage in Hazelton PA. One officer had gotten back to the station after the incident. Upon dropping his magazine,he found it to be empty with one in the chamber.