Extended mag release nightmares on G22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chrisart, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chrisart

chrisart

I installed a LWD extended mag release in my carry gun recently....BAD IDEA!
    The mag release causes unexpected release when placed on its left side on any flat surface as well as when carried in a nylon holster, ths is a deadly issue if you have to get to the gun quickly during a robbery or home invasion.
    The perp gets a real laugh out of the sight of your mag hitting the floor and and if theres no round in the chamber you dont hear no bang!:faint:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. HK Dan

HK Dan

The extended (factory) mag release is about as big as you want to go, in my experience. I've done 4-5 different ones, and came back to the old $7 special in every instance.

3. B Coyote

B Coyote

IMO, extension parts have no place on a defensive pistol.

bc

4. samuse

samuse

If it's gun in the picture, it seems like all the rest of junk on it would cause more problems than a mag release. JMO:supergrin:

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

:agree:

6. AR15Madness

AR15Madness

agree
    get rid of the red dot and rail
    I like the extended mag and slide release idea
    I have a different mag release on my G17 and never had that issue at the range or as ccw

7. js0ne

js0ne

I wouldn't use that gun on a bad guy, a lawyer would have a field day with that. :whistling:

8. elde

elde Lifetime Member

9. 2nd2none

2nd2none

+1, I have one on my duty g37, it's nice. I had two extended mag catch's that I grinded down so it was bigger than the stock catch but smaller then the extended one, I did this with two Glocks they are similar to the Vickers catch but not as pretty...they work real good, and won't release the mag if the gun is laying down and you push on it.

10. Jailer252

Jailer252 Team TKW

Looks like that isn't the only aftermarket part you have on your glock.....Keep them stock and simple....Good luck.

11. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

That is exactly why I do not use one. I tried it at work and found my mag was not fully seated more than a few times and changed it back to stock.

Corey

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

The stock one works flawlessly, as does the stock trigger. It's neat to tinker, I just don't do it with firearms I carry for duty or personal protection.

13. mteagle1

mteagle1

For a carry gun you sure have a lot of crap on it that it doesn't need, like whatever is on the trigger and what looks like an extended slide release. That grip panel doesn't look stock either so is it really a carry gun or a range gun that you have decided to carry. It is obvious that you have not shown your masterpiece to any self defense instructor. I know I wouldn't touch you with that crap on your gun.

14. runngun

runngun

Why knock the the extended slide release? I find that I need one to reliably lock the slide back during one handed manipulations. Also, it is OK to use your thumb to release the slide. It is a fine motor skill just like hand over slide, and using the magazine release or trigger.

15. prospero1919

prospero1919