close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Extended Mag Release Disappointed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robhic, Aug 14, 2012.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

I put extended magazine releases in my 3 9mm (19, 17, 26) pistols last week. So I decided to go do a quick trip to an indoor range and run my carry ammo (Golden Sabers) thru my 26 and practice with my extra mag in a belt carrier for speed reload.

GS ran flawlessly (as expected, but anyway...) and I stretched my thumb over to the mag release and the now-empty mag didn't drop as expected. :wow: That's no fun. The 19 and 17 mags seem to be heavy enough when empty to drop but the empty 10 rounders are intermittent, at best.

Is this normal for smaller mags? Anything others do to make this better? It's not a deal breaker but I would like for the mag in my 26 CCW to drop reliably!

Thanks for any tips.

2. DocWills

DocWills

For ccw your over thinking the reload,its more likely the extended mag release will drop the mag when you sit down.
    do a tac relaod and do so before empty, pocket the partial mag.:supergrin:

3. jupiter

jupiter

+ 1

Extended magazine releases are not the best option for edc!

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

All my carry guns wear standard controls but that's just me,game guns now that's a different story. SJ 40

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

+1....

6. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Check which type of mag body you have. The example in the top picture is less tapered at the top, and doesn't always drop free. The bottom pic shows the more tapered G26 mag that drops free easier. All gen 4 mags have this long tapered shape AFAIK, but on gen 3s, they seem to have shipped with both types of mag bodies.
    [​IMG]
    "wide top" subcompact magazine.
    [​IMG]
    magazine with more taper.

I got myself one tapered gen 4 mag (for my gen 3 G26 edc), the rest of my spare magazines are all G19 and G17 mags with XGrip sleeves.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

+2

No extended controls on an EDC!

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don't carry a spare mag - so no use for an extended mag release.

In fact I sanded down the mag release on my main CC gun - an M&P9C - so it is just about even with the holster.

Last thing I want is a mag release sticking out / getting pushed in while CCing and have the mag pop out and hit the floor. :embarassed:

Attention WM shoppers 9MM mag on the floor in aisle 3. :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  9. robhic

Care to elaborate? I read about the extended release getting pushed more easily when the holster is in contact with your body. I saw some LEOs who taped the mags in to prevent "premature ejeculation". :supergrin: Is this the reason you're thinking of?

Anyway, I tried to see if my Remora would allow ejection of a mag if I pressed the entire unit against my body and they didn't cause ejection issues. I am pretty sedentary, old and slow so no foot-chases and/or extensive activity.

I just wished my 10 rounders would be a bit more predictable like their larger brothers. And I have the more slightly tapered magazines shown in the photo above. I have a friend who has an older (2002) G26 and it has the other type mag shown along with a different follower/

Thanks for the input to all.

10. jupiter

jupiter

I'm sure you've got to be kidding about LEOs taping magazines! RIGHT?

I sometimes wear a pistol while working on my property.
    In the course of the day, I do alot of bending,leaning,reaching,etc.. On 2 different occasions, by the end of the day, the magazine on my G34 and G17 were not fully seated. 2 different holsters, 2 different pistols.
    Both had the extended magazine release.
    If you're pretty sedentary, old and slow, then it's a pretty safe bet you will not be that fast at picking up the magazine from the ground after your premature ejeculation!
    Play it safe robhic and don't ejeculate prematurely!:supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  11. SARDG

SARDG

In IDPA I frequently strip 'drop-free' mags from the gun during a slidelock reload because gravity isn't fast enough.

12. JBP55

JBP55

Quite a few LEA's use the G34/G35 with the extended magazine catch without issue.

13. robhic

Nope, I wish I could remember where I read it and in what context. It (an article) said some PD had resorted to packing tape to retain mags because the extended release caused them to either come loose or drop due to the release pushing against the holster and body of LEO. They had the department armorer put the OEM releases back.

I sit all day. I use a wheelchair so I'm not concerned about that. I haven't had problems with my G26 in a Remora making the mag loose or drop. If I consciously PUSH the release (pistol in holster in my hand) I can do it, but not while wearing it.

14. JBP55

JBP55

In the Baton Rouge area I know elements of these departments use the long slide Glocks with the extended magazine catch.
    LSP, BRPD, EBRSO, LPSO, DSPD, WPD to name a few.
    Two of these departments are issued Glock long slides only.

15. DocWills

DocWills

Its different carrying in a security holster on the outside. Try a hideout rig.If it can go wrong it will in ccw.

16. jupiter

jupiter

More power to them if they don't have any issues.
    I still don't believe they should be used for duty use or for EDC as a general rule.
    I've got a couple of G34s that i've used off and on for IDPA for years. I've managed to do some very fast reloads with these pistols. I think they are great for gun games.

robhic

It's purely your decision to use the extended release on your pistol. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule.
    Good luck Sir!

17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

A sturdy, well formedkydex holster can prevent the issue from occuring. Open carry, for a lefty ends up exposing the mag release more so than rh oc.

18. SCC

SCC just me

THAT'S IT ...
    THE RIGHT GEAR FOR THE JOB AND YOU SHOULD BE JUST FINE ...:whistling:

19. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am not happy with my extended mag release on my G26. It is too easy to accidentally release. If I run across my original I will switch it back out. Not looking forward to that as I remember it being quite a chore.

/

20. tango44

tango44

I dont see the need for a extended magazine release!
    Stock is fine on the G26, my mags always drop free!