GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does installing the extended mag release and/or extended slide lock interfere with a kydex holster or leather for that matter? Also which brands do you prefer? Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Think unless stock does not work for you, why DO you need extended? I personally keep thing stock, never found any reason to tinker. I Left handed, and would like Ambodexterious, but stock works fine.

As far as Holsters I am old school, leather.............MILT SPARKS. Leather is simple to keep up, and it don't break.

Had a couple of earl KYDEX from a guy in AZ. Got tired of WARRANTY REPLACEMENTS, when the Arizona Dry Heat cause em to snap.

That guy fold up, as his stuff was let say not up to daily use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm currently running an extended slide stop lever on my Gen 5 glocks (ambi) and have had no issues with factory type holsters (Safariland etc.) holsters. Not so sure about custom kydex.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I run the Glockstore extended slide lock on my P80 and it is barely longer, but works great. There is no issue at all with the kydex holster. For whatever reason, the stock P80 slide lock was really hard to operate. The G19, G43X and G44 slide locks are totally fine.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
All my Gen 4 and 5’s have extended mag releases SP 8794. No holster issues at all.

·
Patrol Corporal
954 Posts
I would stick to OEM if you are going that route.

The gen 3 extended mag releases work very well to drop the mag. Sometimes too well. They do seem to be sensitive to accidental activation.
It probably doesn't apply but one of my guys has had the mag release on his G19/3, carried in a SERPA 3 with a moderate drop, when the seatbelt gets to it in a Dodge Charger.
I used to carry the same rig and same car except mine had a higher ride drop. I never had the same problem. I have an extended mag release on my G26/3 and carry off duty in a SERPA holster. I have never had a problem with this configuration.

I have the gen 5 extended mag release (which I believe is actually a gen 4 part) on my current duty gun, a G17/5, and my G19X and G45. No problems with them.

The gen 3 tactical slide release works well. But I have seen them sheared off during some aggressive pistol schools. The guns still work fine, just can't manually release the slide.

All in all, I get use from the tactical slide releases (unnecessary on gen 5) and the extended mag releases, but again I prefer OEM.

FWIW.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Some holsters do fit more snug. Some brands have the mag release covered some don't. I know CYA are covered but about a year or so ago they did a modification to their mold to the mag release "shield" for the sole reason to allow for more room for extended buttons.

While we're on the subject, I'm also wanting the OEM extended mag release for gen4. Who's got them?

·
NRA Life Member
64,225 Posts
Does installing the extended mag release and/or extended slide lock interfere with a kydex holster or leather for that matter? Also which brands do you prefer? Thanks

Alan
Keep in mind that easier to hit on purpose also means easier to hit by accident. I shorten and round over the edges of extended slide releases and I don't use extended slide stops at all, due to the number of malfunctions they cause in matches.

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

·
Registered
424 Posts
I scoffed at the extended slide lock for many tears until I needed a new one for my old G26. Could not find a standard, out of stock, anywhere. Bought the Glock extended SL and would now like one on all my G's. No holster problems with leather.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Keep in mind that easier to hit on purpose also means easier to hit by accident. I shorten and round over the edges of extended slide releases and I don't use extended slide stops at all, due to the number of malfunctions they cause in matches.
I agree. Other that certain types of competition the need to shave a fraction of a second on a reload is LESS important than making sure the magazine in the gun stays in place to keep the gun running. I have seen many instances of inadvertent magazine ejection when extended releases were used. Slide stops ( not locks) have also been inadvertently activated by grip as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts