Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for such a long post on something so mundane as mag catches. I just want to make sure I buy the best one for me. Any insight you guys can provide would be most appreciated.

So I've always had a bit of difficulty being able to depress the mag catch without having to reposition my right hand (dominant hand) slightly. I recently bought the talon gun grips for my G19 and while I love them that slight increase in width, especially doubled from tucking the finger portions under on the left side of the gun, has made it slightly more difficult. Now I'm not saying it requires really any more effort/change in grip than it used to (I love the grips) but repositioning my hand is sometimes a bit more difficult since the grip definitely sticks to my hand more.

My first question is what mag catch would work well for me? I was looking at both the OEM Glock one (can't beat $3) and the Vicker's tactical one. Are there any significant differences between the two that justify spending $15 on an aftermarket one?

Also with an extended catch do you need to depress it as far as a standard catch? In other words will I have to press it the standard amount PLUS whatever additional distance it adds?

As I understand it the way the extended mag catches work (at least with the two in question) is that they provide a "button" that sticks out further. I've seen other catches online that are a bit more expensive ($30-50) that provide more surface area on the catch as well and come in two parts (Glockmeister has one that looks solid enough). I think all that would be necessary for me is the catch sticking out further as once that is accomplished I would be able to depress it more easily however I can see the appeal to the ones that add more surface area. I still might need to reposition my hand slightly to depress an extended catch however I wouldn't have any of the problems I run into sometimes if not pushing it far enough. Plus with the more sticky grips that should help as well. The two part catches look like they could be a bit flimsy, however, and I'd be worried about the actual "button" that attaches snapping off. Also they seem to extend the surface area towards the trigger and not back towards the backstrap so I'm not sure if it would provide any additional benefit.

I'm leaning towards just spending $3 on the OEM extended catch and just giving that a shot since it is so inexpensive. I'll either install it myself (I'm due for a detail strip anyway) or I can probably get an armorer to throw it on much more quickly since I am not too comfortable pulling the internals out yet.

Anyway as mentioned above any advice would be appreciated. I'd love to hear from people who have actually installed the parts or are familiar with them, of course. Thanks a lot.

·
The Cooler
770 Posts
Just buy a Vickers. It's the same length of travel to release the mag but you're starting from a point where the button is further away from the gun aka you won't have the radical grip shift you've described.

I have a couple of Vickers and they're well worth the money. I don't buy accessories just to accessorize and this is one item that is very worthwhile. It serves a purpose.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just buy a Vickers. It's the same length of travel to release the mag but you're starting from a point where the button is further away from the gun aka you won't have the radical grip shift you've described.

I have a couple of Vickers and they're well worth the money. I don't buy accessories just to accessorize and this is one item that is very worthwhile. It serves a purpose.
+1,get the vickers and dont look back:wavey:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't buy any accessories for no purpose either. I've had my G19 for several months now and the first thing I've done to it was add the grips. I had problems with the mag catch to begin with but it is a little bit more of a problem now that my hand sticks to the grip more securely.

That being said it looks like what you're telling me is that I don't have to travel the extended length + the original length. Basically I push it the same amount and the magazine will release when the catch is pushed in the same amount + the length the catch adds.

If you don't mind me asking why do you prefer the Vickers over the OEM extended catch?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts