Extended controls for reloading

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by mike g35, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I ordered some more parts for my Tantal yesterday. I wanted to increase the speed I could operate the reloading systems of the gun so I ordered a DPH vertical bolt on charging handle from Carolina Shooters Supply and a Command Arms extended magzine release from Midway USA. Anyone else ever buy these parts or these type of parts? They were pretty cheap so I ordered before asking but I am interested to know what you guys think. I also ordered 3 of the TAPCO Intrafuse AK74 30 round magazines. Not sure if they're the best mags I could have got but they have to be better than the promag junk that I am using now.

2. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

the little mag release extensions looked nice but not all AKs have them, and id like to get proficient with the classic platform before i start to modify mine.

as for the tapco mags, ive seen mixed opinions. some say they really suck, others say no problems. my friend has a couple for his MAK90 and the followers bind up sometimes in the middle of the mag body. i wont use them. circle tens or surplus steel for me.

3. never enough

never enough

I have 5 0f the 30 round tapco ak74 mags and had no problems last range trip.Put 500 rounds through my arsenal and mags worked perfect. I did clean them when I got home as I was shooting corrosive but am going back tomorrow so I report back to you.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I have never used those particular extensions, but I have had generally bad luck with extended controls on AK's. The ones I have used have created weak points on an otherwise bulletproof platform. Hopefully you have better luck.

There are things that Tapco does right. Their G2 trigger comes immediately to mind. Other Tapco products suck. I have had generally bad luck with their mags. I did get a 5.45 mag in a trade for a used Bulgarian AK74, and have been using it for a couple months. It will definitely wear out sooner than other mags because it doesn't have metal locking surfaces or feed lips, but mine is working fine so far.

5. mike g35

mike g35

I got my TAPCO Mags and the CAA extended mag release in today via UPS. The mags, well they are what they are, they seem to be OK and will work for what I have in mind. The CAA mag release is AWESOME though, not only does it extend towards the bottom but it also allows you to release the mag with your trigger finger only, and yes, it is ambidextrous and works like nobodies buisness.
    I haven't received the extended charging handle yet but I will let you guys know what I think when it gets here. The one I ordered is supposedly a new design, lets hope its a winner.
    +1 for the CAA extended magazine release

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. mike g35

mike g35

Here's a pic of the extended controls, the CAA ext. mag release is definitely top notch equipment. The DPH vertical charging handle is good one you REMEMBER TO LOCTITE IT INTO PLACE. I did not do this and ended up slinging it about 10 yards downrange.:embarassed: But after I put some loctite on it (blue loctite) it works just fine. I am more than happy with both controls but if I had to say one is a must have its got to be the CAA extended mag release. Not putting that on your AK is a huge mistake. Its a definite tactical advantage.