Explorers

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by obxemt, Jan 4, 2010.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Any advice or resources anyone can recommend as I try to make a bid to start an explorer post? I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I was an explorer from age 14-17 in a wonderful and well-developed program. The best officer safety training I received prior to simmunitions experience was as an explorer and it formed my basic safety habits.

Thanks for any help.

2. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

We are just (re)starting one. A few years ago, I would have gotten involved, but I have a lot on my plate. I can ask though; what info are you looking for?

3. blueiron

blueiron

Contact the local district office of the Boy Scouts of America. They will set you up with everything you need.

4. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

This.

I worked full time for the BSA for a couple of years. One of my main tasks was starting new units. Every square inch of the US is divided up between 300+ councils. Each council is divided into districts. Go to http://www.scouting.org/LocalCouncilLocator.aspx and locate the contact info for your local council. Call them and ask for the "District Executive" for your city.

For an Explorer post, you will need a minimum of FIVE adult volunteers and approval from the brass (rubber stamp formality). You will also need at least five youth to enroll.

PM me if you have any questions.

5. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Mobile PD has one going. PM me and I will give you the contact info.

7. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

BSA does not have a direct relation to Exploring anymore, everything is run through Learning for Life. http://www.learningforlife.org/

If you contact Learning for Life they will provide the info on starting a post. Also your state may have a state level explorer group that could help. WA for example has WLEEA, which is through the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs. WLEEA is very active and has helped agencies start explorer posts andrun a state wide explorer academy and several challenges.

I am an explorer adviser and was an explorer back in high school.

8. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Learning for Life is a division of the BSA. It covers the "non-traditional" units like Explorer Posts, varsity Teams and the LFL character programs in schools.

9. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Yes, that is why I said not directly associated with BSA. To start a post one needs to go through LFL not BSA.

10. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Not exactly. The reason the BSA made a specific LFL site was two-fold. First, it was because there is so much info on LFL to make available. Second, it was done to slightly separate the more traditional images of the BSA from the LFL program, which was designed to be used in schools. When LFL was started, it wasn't originally going to have Exploring or Teams.

You still need to call the local BSA office. Some councils have professionals assigned only to building LFL units. However, in most places (like the one I worked at), one person in a district does it all.

There is no difference between LFL and BSA.

11. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Maybe your region is different OXCOPS, but that is not how it works here at all.

We have to deal with LFL and LFL only. We have no contact with BSA counsels at all. There is a difference between the two.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  12. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

I'll try to clear things up. LFL is part of BSA, but BSA itself will not do anything to help start or run an explorer post. You will have to contact someone at the LFL law enforcement explorer program.

My point is not to argue with you (OXCOPS) but to save the OP time and point him in the right direction, which is to contact someone at LFL, not just a local BSA counsel.

13. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I have volunteered with the BSA for over 20 years and worked with them professionally also. I can assure you that, if you want to organize a post, you will do it through the local BSA council.

14. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

I am not sure why you insist on being a dick and arguing over this. The fact is LFL organizes, oversees, and regulates explorer posts. I guarantee that if the OP wants to start a post he will be put in touch with LFL folks not just a BSA employee.

I am simply trying to save the OP the hassle of getting the run around and letting him know to contact LFL folks.

This is based on my 10+ years experience with explorers.

Is your experience as an explorer adviser OXCOPS or just as a boy scout leader?

15. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I don't know why you think I am being a dick about anything. My experience has been in recruiting, training and motivating hundreds of volunteers, establishing all new units (to include Posts) in my district (40+), fund raising ($50K+ annually), district functions and all other BSA business.

Your misunderstanding is rooted in your statement, "I guarantee that if the OP wants to start a post he will be put in touch with LFL folks not just a BSA employee."

An LFL executive gets his check from the same place every other executive.

LFL=BSA just the same way as McDonald's=MickeyD's. Just another name for the same thing.

16. ugly8604

ugly8604

Nerdy wiener kids.

17. blueiron

blueiron

What difference is there between talking to BSA or LFL? The Explorer program is a decent one when run well. If the BSA points you to an LFL contact or does the work himself, the kids are the winners and the adults get to help some kids along to adulthood.

Otherwise.... "This message is hidden because _________ is on your ignore list."

It works for me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  18. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

:rofl: I just got home and read all those posts in a row. It's really quite entertaining!

I contacted some Explorer posts in my state today and they all told me the same thing. I have to start with the local BSA council. I called them and was disconnected three times. But they assured me that I have to talk to the person there who oversees Exploring to get information and start the process.

All information online (which is really quite good as well as extensive) is on the LFL website.

19. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Clear up your private message box a bit there Obxemt so I can send you a message. Says "full."

20. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Please understand this simple fact, just because scouting and learning for life are parts of BSA does not man they are the same thing. Just because a LFL employee is paid by BSA does not mean all BSA employees know anything about exploring.

You obviously have never been an explorer advisor for a police department, otherwise you would no the difference between contacting BSA vs contacted a LFL rep directly. The BSA office folks tend to give the run around and know very little about explorers (unless you happen to get a person who was around when explorers were directly under BSA back before 2000ish). Instead I call my local LFL employee who is helpful to me as an adviser.

Here is analogy that maybe you can understand: Sears and Kmart are run by the same corporation. But if I want to buy a product that Sears carries should I call Kmart? No, it makes more since to call the branch of the company that actually deals with the product I want. In this case is a LFL employee, not a non-LFL BSA one.