Explorer restarting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. aspartz

aspartz

I am attempting to resurect a friend's computer. Her darling child managed to get it infested with countless pop-ups one virus. AVG and Windows Defender cleaned up most of the problems, Win Antivirus is stil there, but I was working on that.

I run Advanced WindowsCare to clean up the may holes left in the registry, like I have done countless times in the past, and now when the computer boots there is only a blank desktop and a pointer.

The three finger salute still lets the task manager start and if I tell it to launch explorer, it will. Explorer then shows on the desktop for a varying period of time and then restarts. The icons come and the icons go.

Any suggestions? If I can get the beast anywhere close to stable I'm going to tell her to back up her documents, nuke the drive and start over.

ARS

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Unfortunately backing up that drive will be difficult. Have you tried safe mode? That might get you to a point where you can possibly mount a USB drive, or maybe back up important stuff to a some sort of writeable CD/DVD.

Good luck....

IGF

3. neeko

neeko Guest

I would never trust a machine thats been compromised. You should try your best to recover whatever data is important to you then format and reinstall the operating system.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

5. aspartz

aspartz

Safe mode does the same thing.

There are NO explorer.exes in task manager

I forgot that I had a system restore point before I made the last changes. :)

Last hope is to put the drive in my file server (linux) and clone the data and start over.

ARS

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

7. srhoades

srhoades

With the 3 finger salute run msconfig, uncheck all but the obvious. Then reboot and see if you can get a desktop. If not, see if you can start an internet explorer window (iexplorer.exe) Google smitfraud fix, that will get rid of the winantiwpyware. Download AVG anti spyware, make sure and get the updates, that should clean the rest.

8. aspartz

aspartz

I did the wise thing -- re-installing everything from known good masters even as we speak.

BTW even shutting things off in msconfig did not help -- I had to system restore back to get anything to work.

ARS

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, thats good. Hopefully she didnt lose to much important. I'd make a backup and do a clean install.

IGF

10. vanderson

vanderson Guest

Drop the hard drive on your computer as a slave and pull the data off that way and then just nuke it and start over. Best bet, waste of time trying to clean a heavily infected system.

If you have a copy of Windows XP just run a repair not Recovery Console but the actual REPAIR REPAIR. That should fix Explorer.exe.