close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Explorer diagnosis

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Critter, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

My Explorer keeps locking up for some reason. It normally happens if the page has a lot going on or if I am multitasking. I removed all of the firewall and security software from Comcast, Macaphee, and this didn't help out. This just started a couple of weeks ago. I scanned my computer for viruses and spy ware but it came up clean. I cleared all of the cookies too. Any other suggestions? I would hate to lose all of my info on this computer, and it has been superbly reliable until this point.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Windows explorer or internet explorer?

If it’s IE, try upgrading it to the new version 7. The upgrade may rewrite the corrupted file.

Have you tried running it while windows is in safe mode? (With networking)

This may buy you the stability to download IE6, or IE7. Depending if you want to stay with what you have, or try the new version.

The best free antispy is www.ewido.com. Run the online spy test while you’re on the internet. If you have malware, ewido will find it.

k

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Ewido is the best spyware scanner.I wouldn't go to IE 7 just yet.You can reinstall IE 6 if needed.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you're referring to IE6(which I think you are, as you discuss the "page" having a lot going on), just end the headache, and download Mozilla Firefox or Opera 9.

The smartest thing I ever done was dump IE for Mozilla and then Opera. No more instantaneous combustion of my web browser, crashes are rare, seems faster, I'm no longer Active-ly eXposed to every internet baddie out there...

Good luck
    IGF

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Man, Critter, is this Win98 or Win2K? XP?

Sounds like an Internet Exploiter problem for sure, but I have seen W98/SE and ME do this, and when it starts it also affects ALL Explorer.exe-based apps, such as the Control Panel...

And here's a BIG +1 for Firefox/Mozilla/Opera.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Does anyone know the differences between the Mozilla browser and the Mozilla Firefox browser? Given the popularity of Firefox, I'm surprised they haven't dumped the Mozilla browser, and focused their efforts on Firefox...

IGF

8. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

I guess I should have been more specific.

It is IE Version 6 on Win XP SP2
    I have used CC and defraged the drive also. I went to windows and got all of the updates also.
    I used to use Firefox, but switched back to IE since I really need to use Outlook(full version) as part of the online classes I teach. I cannot remember the specific's, however, the mail client that played well with Firefox was useless to me with over 100 students and Firefox doesn't play at all with Outlook.

I have not had any problems at all until just recently for the past couple of years. I regulary use Spybot and Adaware. Until I pulled the Mcaphee off yesterday I kept antivirus software on the computer also.

Is there any difference with version 7 as opposed to 6 that I currently have?
    Where can I get it? I am surprised that Microsoft didn't peddle it to me when I went to update the computer.

Sorry for all of the questions. I have been spoiled by a couple of years worth of smooth sailing and now my Computer-Fu is weak.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Originally official support and development of Mozilla was dropped in favor of Firefox at the previous version 1.7.2,but a large security update that applied to both Mozilla and Firefox caused the release of the current version of Mozilla 1.7.3.Some websites(very few) see Mozilla as an older version of Netscape and "for security reasons" deny access with Mozilla and say "to view this website IE 6,Firefox or Opera is required".

Mozilla 1.8 was well under development when official support was dropped.Mozilla 1.8 became a community development project which is now called "Sea Monkey".Current version is now Sea Monkey 1.0.2.

http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

10. malkore

malkore

Hmmm...I use Firefox and Outlook 2003 via Exchange 2003, and they play wonderfully together.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That was gonna be my question also, I used Firefox and Outlook Express for quite some time with absolutely zero issues that I can recall...

What exactly do you mean by "they don't play well together". Regardless, Firefox "plays" just fine with Thunderbird, if it will meet your needs.

IGF

12. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

I couldn't get Firefox to cooperate with Outlook in some processes I do together. Thunderbird wouldn't do 'groups' in their e-mail, and I have my classes sectioned into groups by class as well as the students individual e-mail adresses and info in Outlook. This is going back a couple of years and I'm not sure if Firefox upgraded since then or not.

I have went trouble free for a couple of years with IE, I'm sure it can be fixed, I'm just not ready to junk a system that has been so reliable. If I recall correctly, I had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox a time or two also, but didn;t have the run of sucess I had with IE. I also recall having to install all kinds of extra's to get one thing or another running that IE did automatically. Maybe I'm a simpleton.

13. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

14. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

+1

Firefox 1.5.0.4, WinXP Pro, Outlook 2003, No problems at all.