Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get some feedback on how some people handled telling your kids about your gun and why you carry.
Long story short, I have a locked steel safe in my truck and when I'm in the gym it stays in there. Last night my oldest son wanted to ride home with me. I've been thinking on when and how I would tell him and had recently decided that he needs to know. We are joining a range this spring and he has been asking about shooting. I have an old single shot, bolt action .22 that I'm going to start him off with.
I could have just left the gun in the safe, our house is pretty close to the gym, but decided it was time. As I was getting the safe out, he of course asked what it was and what I had in there. I explained to him that it was something that was going to be only between me, his mom and him. If he could promise that he would only discuss it with us and also promised to never touch it until I thought he was old enough, then I would show it to him. He did and I pulled the G26 out of the safe.
I explained that I carried it and why I did and also showed him my permit. Told him that I had to have training to carry it and that the police had to check me out to say if I was trustworthy enough to have the license. I explained that there were places I could carry it and places I couldn't. He is a pretty bright kid and asked what places I could and could not.
We set out front of the house for a while and he asked many questions and I think he has a pretty good grasp on it. My only concern is that he talks with his friends and somehow it gets blown out of proportion. We are very involved at his school and I don't want wild stories out about his Dad. My parents were both teachers and I know how the rumor mills get going around schools and also know that they are very schizo when it comes to guns.

I guess my main question to everyone is how and when did you talk with your kids about it?

·
That's right!
8,151 Posts
Get a ham, shoot it, show and tell them they used to have a brother.......

J/k

I have no kids.
Well kinda kidding. It would get the point across. Maybe stop before the used to have a brother part....

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
There are bad people in the world. Some of them hurt other people. I don't want anyone to ever hurt us.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a ham, shoot it, show and tell them they used to have a brother.......

J/k

I have no kids.
Well kinda kidding. It would get the point across. Maybe stop before the used to have a brother part....
:wow::supergrin:
He does have a brother but he is younger. Made me laugh though.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
My son comes from a background of neglect and abuse. He was adopted from foster care (which he had been in for five years since being removed from his mother). He knows all about bad people so that part was not hard to explain to him. The hard thing was explaining to him that we do not allow our anger at bad people to make us become a bad person ourselves. His experiences make it very hard to make sure he understands it is okay to be mad at these people but that we only use a weapon as a last ditch defense. So far he seems very receptive to the concept and seems to understand.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how old is your eldest son? My son is only 2, but I have been thinking about how and when to introduce him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, how old is your eldest son? My son is only 2, but I have been thinking about how and when to introduce him.
Sorry, meant to put that in there. He is 7. His brother is 3 and I don't think he is ready yet. I think each kid is different. I just felt it was time to talk with him because of how he has grown up in the last few months.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son comes from a background of neglect and abuse. He was adopted from foster care (which he had been in for five years since being removed from his mother). He knows all about bad people so that part was not hard to explain to him. The hard thing was explaining to him that we do not allow our anger at bad people to make us become a bad person ourselves. His experiences make it very hard to make sure he understands it is okay to be mad at these people but that we only use a weapon as a last ditch defense. So far he seems very receptive to the concept and seems to understand.
Actually that is a great example. He asked about being mad and pointing the gun at someone. I explained that it was not for use when you are mad, only to defend him and the family. I also explained that when people are mad they are generally not thinking clearly and when you have a gun in your hand, you have to be thinking clearly at all times.

·
Registered
32,965 Posts
I said I started my kid at 3, but maybe he was 2. I can't remember. At whatever age he was old enough to talk pretty good that's when I started teaching him :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've been carrying since before my kids were born. They think it's perfectly normal and I don't recall them ever asking why I carry.

I HAVE had them say things like, "...yeah, and then you could take out your gun and shoot the bad guy!" I usually respond with something like, "Only if I have to." They know it's there, but like I said they think it's perfectly normal.

My kids are 7, 4 and 2.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I sat my son down last year and expalined to him what responsibilities came with owning and CCWing a firearm. I alwasy kept a shotgun in the house so he asked about that before. I set rules down and took him through a basic handgun course/training. He is 12 now and its our business "only" that I carry a handgun no one else needs to know. I started him a little late but he makes me proud at the range and also with his maturity with handgun safety. I told him that when he turns 21 he can also carry if he chooses to do so!

·
What's a Glock?
798 Posts
Pretty much stated everything you did to my 6 year old step daughter. She was 5 when I had the talk with her. Pretty much told her that it was a very serious responsibility to have a gun, and that she was not to tell anyone about it for any reason unless she asks me first.

Had one slip though. We were at the bank, and her mom was completing a transaction, I was next to her, and daughter is a few feet away. She runs towards me, slams into me to hug me, and her head smacks off the butt of my G22. She got hurt, started makin a fuss for a minute, then, in a not so quiet tone, says "Why do you carry a gun all the time anyways? There's no bad people here"...

The bank teller just laughed, but it irritated me enough that we had a little chat about it in the car after.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I have 3 kids, 2 boys ages 7 and 5, and a girl almost 3. Although I don't have a CCL, the first thing I do when I get home most days is put my gun on my hip. I didn't make a big deal about it when I decided to start carrying around the house a couple of months ago, and to be honest, I think I only remember 1 time when each of my boys asked me about it. I matter-of-factly stated that it's just in case someone tries to hurt us. I mean, they're boys, so they know that a gun makes a loud noise and destroys things. Practically from day one they didn't even think twice about the fact that I have a gun on my hip.

A few of my friends would probably be a little uneasy or weirded out if they saw me carrying around my house, but I have plenty of other friends who, while they don't carry, grew up around guns and would be totally cool with it. We didn't have any firearms in the house when I was growing up, and I only got into shooting about a year ago (didn't own my first gun until last June). Gun ownership is new to me, but my kids will grow up really understanding deep down that a gun on someone's hip isn't something to cause alarm. They'll grow up understanding what I'm only recently learning - that guns should make you feel SAFER (when handled properly blah blah blah).

I say don't shy away from letting them see it. Don't make a big deal about it (beyond the obvious safety lessons) and they won't be curious about the secret 'toy' that you keep hidden. That's my take on it, for what it's worth coming from someone totally new to the gun community.

I should point out that my kids never have access to any guns. If it's not on my hip, it's in the safe. When they're old enough, they'll get to experience guns with my thorough supervision (my 7 yo has already had a tiny taste).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My son has never seen me without a gun, unless i am sleeping. We talk about it regularly, i drill him on safety, and he knows that he does not touch it. He can touch it, or the parts, if he asks, and i help him. He also helps me clean guns regularly. This helps take some of the awe and cool factor away, he learns that it is a responsibility, and he learns the mechanical aspects oof how guns work.

he has hardly mentioned it, as he just assumes its normal. We have also talked about how its nobodies business that i have a gun, and he is not to tell teachers or strangers about the family owning/carrying guns, as its not their business. I tell him its my job as Daddy to make sure he and his mon mare safe, and we only use weapons when we have no other choice.
he also sees me train regularly, and "helps" by counting draw strokes, ect. he has been to the range with me a few times, and we have practiced a few live fire exercises together, so he knows how to react if things happen. he thought it was fun. His mom, less so until i explained the how and why of what we did, then she was all "oh..ok".

deal with it head on, and more than once- twice a week for six months, then every two weeks thereafter, make a point to bring it up, but just briefly, don't make a 2 hour lecture out of it. my son is 6 now, and he seems to pick up what i want him too better when we just talk casually about things, rather then when i sit him down and really try to TEACH.
remember that you are teaching him all the time, even when you are not meaning to.

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
My kids have been around guns since they were born. So seeing me with a gun was never anything that really needed an explanation. Now we've handled how we store them differently from when they were small to now (both teenagers). Safety has always been priority 1. And over the years they've been taught about gun safety, etc.

At this stage, both kids now how to shoot...and both are girls :supergrin: My oldest enjoys it quite a bit.

Just wait until they get exposed to brainless liberals that permuate their mindless anti-gun rhetoric in the classroom. Just yesterday, my daughter's history teacher went on a rant in the classroom (history) stating that "anyone who has a gun for protection is stupid." No kidding. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last either. If you address it with the school administration, you add risk that your child will pay a price in the classroom. Fortunately my kids are old enough and smart enough to understand what's going on & they either address it when it really ticks them or just ignore the teacher.

·
NRA Life Member
66,034 Posts
I guess this is a question for people from the city or maybe up north and California. I my family that would be like explaining why there's a sink in the kitchen and water comes out - it's there every day from the time they're born, so there really isn't much of a question. They learn by observation, like any kid.

7? There has never been a kid in my family who hadn't killed something by then. Of the newest generation, my nephew had been hunting deer and turkeys and killing both, for 3 years by the time he was 7. At that age he owned at least 1 gun and probably 2.

·
Registered
12,129 Posts
Teach them how to shoot! I never had to explain it to my kid! Other then it was to kill BG's or shoot deer! If they are old enough to know what it is -then there old enough to shoot them! Teach them right then you'll never have to worry about an accident!:supergrin: I grew up with guns and I never ask my father why? I just knew guns were good and they put food on the table and took care of bad people when needed! :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I showed my son immediately (age 6) . I showed him how to first check to be sure it was not loaded and instructed him HANDS ON safe gun handling. He had been exposed to guns all his life but never to a loaded one on Dads hip. Whenever he wanted to have a look see, i would unload it and let him safety check it again before he fiddles around with it. He's 10 now and will be competing with me in IDPA. I've always thought he was better off knowing what to do with a gun rather than simply being an uneducated regular ol curious kid and getting someone killed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts