Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Rational
16,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these types of holsters before, and I just don't get it:

What an awful design. Most people, I believe, carry the gun at the 3:30 to 4 o'clock position....I myself prefer the 4 o'clock position with my Right hand, where the butt of the gun tucks up into the small of my back. And I have a gut. There is no way on God's earth I'm reaching back there with my Left hand to get that mag if I need it. I doubt I could do it even if I was pencil-thin.

The closer I look at it, the more I realize that it's likely meant to be worn at the 3 o'clock position. Still....seems like an awkward way to carry a reload....?

So what they are saying is: in the most tense, crucial situation of your life; that moment when you NEED a reload, you should....switch your empty gun to your left hand, eject the magazine, reach back, get the new mag, slam it in, then switch back to your dominate hand.

Completely idiotic. I've never understood this design. I could understand if you were carrying it cross-draw or appendix-carry, but not when it's behind your hip.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point of the holster? Is there anyone here who carries this style of holster, and if so, what are your experiences with it?

I'll take a mag reload in my opposite-side front pocket or in a pouch on my left hip, thanks.

·
Banned
25,664 Posts
It works quite well for smaller pistols. Not everyone is concerned with a super fast tactical reload. It's a matter of convenience to have one holster for both items.

Design Pattern Revolver

·
Banned
25,664 Posts
Designed by people who do not carry

That's not even remotely an accurate statement. I carried the above rig for quite some time. I'd wager that the majority of people don't even bother with a spare magazine. This places most people who carry above the curve.

·
NRA Life Member
69,807 Posts

What an awful design. Most people, I believe, carry the gun at the 3:30 to 4 o'clock position....I myself prefer the 4 o'clock position with my Right hand, where the butt of the gun tucks up into the small of my back. And I have a gut. There is no way on God's earth I'm reaching back there with my Left hand to get that mag if I need it. I doubt I could do it even if I was pencil-thin.
The only thing you are less likely to need than a gun is a fast reload. Sure, it's a bad place for the magazine, but it's convenient to pick up and put on and most people who carry a gun have no idea how to reload it, no matter where their magazines is. Most people don't even realize that reloading is a shooting skill you need to learn and practice - the Army, for example, is mostly unaware of that.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
“Different strokes for different folks” I guess. I don’t even compete (unless it’s part of training) but I always carry in the same place. I don’t switch to a smaller gun in the summer. I do everything I can to be consistent. My goal is to simply be competent with a defensive handgun in case I ever need to use it.

That said, I would never put a spare mag next to my handgun because it’s now far more natural for me to “look” for the pistol on one hip, and if needed automatically move my weak hand to my other hip to grab a spare mag. I even do it when shooting at the range.

So my initial impression is it’s a poor design. But what I really mean is it’s a poor design for ME.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
31,239 Posts
Like a lot of things it is designed to be sold, not to be used.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I don't get it either. Definitely not for me. Pistol on my right side in a holster. Magazine on my left in a magazine pouch or pocket depending on the circumstances. The only reloads I carry on my right are speed loaders for a revolver, usually in a pants pocket.

·
Banned
25,664 Posts
That's not designed for an actual gunfight. It's just a placebo to make you feel like you're CCW'ing.

"Better than nothing'' is the rationalization.

Having a concealed firearm and a spare magazine isn't a placebo it's actual conceal carry. The mindset that you are getting ready for a "gunfight" is entertaining however. The vast majority of those of us that carry every single day will never need a gun. An infinitesimally small percent of those will need to do a tactical reload. I'd say the placebo is thinking your method of carry is superior to another person's.

·
Banned
25,664 Posts
I really don't need my balls either, but I'm not about to chop them off.
If I was actually preparing for a gunfight I wouldn't bring a pistol. Like I said previously, I'd bet most people that carry don't even bother with carrying a reload at all.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It’s convenience for sure, the problem I see is you got 61 rounds on board there and you probably will never reload! So that rig is for sure a hunting and door set up. Now the LCP with cargo I like and will be checking them out.

If I need a mag carrier it will be Tier 1 holsters for sure but I’d like to lose a little off the muffin top before going all in on AIWB!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts

The closer I look at it, the more I realize that it's likely meant to be worn at the 3 o'clock position. Still....seems like an awkward way to carry a reload....?

So what they are saying is: in the most tense, crucial situation of your life; that moment when you NEED a reload, you should....switch your empty gun to your left hand, eject the magazine, reach back, get the new mag, slam it in, then switch back to your dominate hand.

Completely idiotic. I've never understood this design. I could understand if you were carrying it cross-draw or appendix-carry, but not when it's behind your hip.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point of the holster? Is there anyone here who carries this style of holster, and if so, what are your experiences with it?

I'll take a mag reload in my opposite-side front pocket or in a pouch on my left hip, thanks.
If the gun is at 3:00, I'm not sure why you couldn't just reach over with your left hand and grab the magazine.

·
Banned
25,664 Posts
If the gun is at 3:00, I'm not sure why you couldn't just reach over with your left hand and grab the magazine.

You can, easily. It also doesn't prevent the user from carrying another magazine pouch on their non-dominate side :supergrin:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts