Explain Ghislane maxwell confinment to me

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by boatman1, Jul 16, 2020.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

That’s the way the justice system works. You can’t make bail or aren’t offered any, you stay in jail until trial. This is the first time you’re realizing this?

“Flight risk” does not require leaving the country. She evaded capture for more than a year. She would clearly attempt to do so again.

In this case, keeping her confined is (hopefully) for her own good. She sets foot out of jail and famous people will have her killed.

She already admitted she was never running from the FBI while in hiding. She was running from the movers and shakers who she has the dirt on.

2. kiole

kiole

She's an extreme flight risk. She has citizenship in multiple countries, had multiple passports, a million in cash and her cell phone in foil lined container to hide from authorities. She purchased a piece of property through another person under an LLC in cash.

She meets every standard as an extreme flight risk. She has the right to ask for a speedy trial. She won't though.

There are also extremely influential people around the world that would prefer she doesn't talk.

3. Critch

Critch

Flying Dutchman is right, Maxwell will get killed/or die somehow and Americans will not be happy, but the Powers That Be won't give a damn and she will be forgotten in the next crisis that these folks cook up..

If she is a flight risk, why didn't she? She has a French passport, she could have scooted across to Canada and been on a plane to Paris in two hours. They would not have extradited her.

I'm not defending her actions by any means, but the Feds seem to pick and choose who they are rough on.

Macc283 and nursetim like this.
  4. norton

norton

You guys horrified by her incarceration remind me of my boss from many years ago. Remember "Johnny the Snow Man?". John Delorean, the designer/builder of the back to the future car needed cash. He was caught in a sting operation on video with white powder he assumed to be cocaine. He referred to it as better then gold. My boss thought it was awful he was caught up in this, it could happen to anybody. Really? If he weren't trying to be a drug dealer making easy cash he would not have been "caught up".
    Told me alot about my Boss.
    This woman is most definitely a flight risk. Only way to keep her around for trial is jail.

Agonizer, nursetim and Glock4L1fe like this.
  5. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article238516103.html

Cruz is facing the death penalty for murdering 17 students and staffers during the massacre at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in February 2018.

Cruz, now 20, was arrested blocks away from the school and has been jailed ever since.

Cruz has been in jail awaiting trial for more than two years. I wonder did Cruz get to mail in his ballots?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    nursetim likes this.
  6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Witness protection program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"But. No more. Now, now it is all about the "feels"."

Nope, it's about the law and the facts. And lying under oath like she did in 2016 is not a good way to convince a judge to grant you bail.

"The evidence looks overwhelming, including, according to court documents filed by prosecutors, testimony from "multiple victims (who) have provided detailed, credible, and corroborated information" that is "backed up (by) contemporaneous documents, records, witness testimony, and other evidence"; photographs linking Maxwell to Epstein and the sex trafficking ring; and Maxwell's own damning false statements made under oath during a 2016 deposition. Maxwell, who is 58 years old, faces multiple charges that carry maximum sentences totaling 35 years."

It's not all about the "feels". Is that clearer now?

8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

she should be locked up just for calling herself Ghislane.

FullClip and Inyo Tim like this.
  9. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I really don't think there is a country other than maybe north Korea that wouldn't extradite her.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  10. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

She is locked up because of what she has done, or what she knows about certain political connections. Keeping her locked up is an easy way to control what she says & who she talks to. As soon as the election is over I bet they will find her innocent or there will be something that lets her out & you won't hear from her again. They can't kill her in jail like they did Epstein it would look bad.

Macc283, nursetim and Glock4L1fe like this.
  11. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

For those that think innocent until proven guilty is a thing. ;)

EDBB161B-0DB0-402F-AD2E-71FE81E1CB42.jpeg

nursetim and Con43 like this.
  12. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

A child rapist needs to be off the street whilst awaiting trial.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Google

Does France have an extradition treaty with the United States?

Why does Roman Polanski live in France?

Is Ghislane Maxwell a French citizen?

billy_56081, kiole, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If a criminal is looking at spending the rest of their life in prison if convicted, why would they show up for the trial unless you can make them show up?

You'd only be able to convict the few criminals too stupid to weigh the options and disappear.

PhotoFeller, nursetim and Glock4L1fe like this.
  15. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

I heard it reported that she also has French citizenship and that France does not extradite its citizens to the U.S.

Glock4L1fe and CAcop like this.
  16. SRS

SRS

Injustice occurs through pre-trial incarceration. Low-level offenders who don’t have the means of fleeing their neighborhood let alone the country are locked up because they can’t pay nominal bail. By the time they get to trial, even with a conviction they will get time served. At some point, it makes more sense to plead guilty just to get out regardless of actual guilt. It doesn’t happen everywhere or all the time, but it certainly happens.

This woman? I can’t muster a lot of sympathy. She does appear to be a very legitimate flight risk. MCC is pretty awful, but it’s good enough for everyone else.

Glock4L1fe likes this.
  17. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

Just imagine if they’d won in 2016. If you want to know their crimes, they always accuse Trump first of their own crimes, then cry fowl when evidence crops up of their misdeeds. Epstein’s pedo ring goes far and wide.

Agonizer likes this.
  18. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

She would flee like the roach she is...……………………………………..Oh what she knows, protective custody if she pleas.

19. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questions things like this. I don't have an answer. The Supreme Court decided about the balancing test in Barker v Wingo but it just seems wrong when they say innocent until proven guilty. Speedy trial is covered by that.

If you extend the thinking, you end up wondering about the initial detainment by the police. Unfortunately, while there's a potential for abuse and it goes against individual rights, we have to allow the detainment of "innocent" people for up to a year without trial.

I don't want to be that innocent especially that detainment might be just because I can't afford a reasonable bail.

Mandyesque likes this.
  20. Mandyesque

Mandyesque

It is my understanding that they issued the warrant for her arrest shortly before she was arrested. I am not aware of her being on the run with an open warrant in an attempt to evade capture. They can spin it however they want to the media but I haven’t read anything that would suggest the FBI did not know where she was at any given time. It is not a crime to live in East Bumblef**, New Hampshire.

She could afford to flee last year if she wanted to do so and she did not, so I just do not see the money argument as particularly persuasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk