Expiration date Qs on medicines and supplies

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Grayson, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Grayson

Grayson

Have some time off healing from carpal tunnel release and going through the medical stuff. Yes I'm aware the advice is worth what I paid for it, I promise to hold no one but myself accountable if I munch on some 10-year expired tetracycline, etc. Also none of what I mention is ALL of my stock except the saline wound wash, which I can easily cook up myself in a pinch.

With that said, how firm of a rule is the use by date on:

-Oral rehydration powder (pic enclosed)

-Presercative free (probably should tell me something) saline solution. Think it was marketed for contact lenses but my intended use is wound wash

-Hibiclens soap (liquid chlorhexadine gluconate)

-Ibuprofen and Tylenol

-Burn gel with lidocaine

-liquid Benadryl
    20200601_222504.jpg

2. jp 19

jp 19

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. routine and repetitive questions.
    2. you raised two questions: medicines and other items. It really is three.
    a. prescription medications. the manufacturer is required to test up to an expiration date and is not required to test past that date.
    b. otc medications. not required to test.
    3. general rule - if it smells bad, throw it out.
    4. general rule -if has turned color, throw it out.
    5. I have a case of the UN hydration salts made in MO. If you are concerned about the expiration date, just send your to me and I will take care of it.
    6. with most items, if you don't store it in the heat, don't store it in sunlight, they should be ok.
    7. most expiration dating on items is done for simple reasons:
    a. most of the containerized items on the grocery shelf are placed there, not by the store employees. They are placed there by a distributor or manufacturer who pays of shelf space. This is called sales on consignment. It is a way learning what is not selling. Another reason is to keep track of lots. Sometimes, some plastic or glass or bacteria gets into a batch and the stuff needs to be pulled from the shelf.

Paul53 and Grayson like this.
  4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dang I had a US Military evaluation on many stored meds. Hope I can find it tonight.
    Basically most meds good 6 months after best date IF stored properly. Normally above 40f below 80f, out of sun, in sealed containers where humidity isn’t high. (Meds that need refrigeration are exception of course). Some meds you mix before use have a extremely short useable life. The shorter the use by date the less time after that I would normally use.
    Some meds could be dangerous if expired. Say a heart med. it’s 75% strength. You increase on DR. Order, get new script that’s near 100%. Too much BP meds, BP falls, you faint...
    Antibiotics SHOULD be taken to entire course. Read MUST unless Dr. says, allergic reaction (call DR. ASAP if you think allergic, you stop for any reason)...
    Most meds are cheap that you listed. IMO toss, get new.
    Each med needs to be checked.

cbetts1, Paul53 and Grayson like this.
  5. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

CAUTION !!!!
    Most antibiotics will be effective for YEARS after their stale date, BUT tetracycline allegedly can have LETHAL consequences if old. The empirical evidence is very old and limited but mostly unquestioned.
    Before you take old tetracycline do some internet research.
    tbc.

Grayson likes this.
  6. R*E

R*E

The rehydration salts will keep forever. Microbes won’t grow in it and the ingredients won’t breakdown.

Drugs in a liquid form will deteriorate faster than solid dosage drugs.

Toss the saline.

Grayson likes this.
  7. Grayson

Grayson

Thanks!

Yeah, I specifically threw that example in because I was pretty sure it was one of the hard examples of "you HAVE" to go by that expiration date.

Need to work on my grab bag next, will probably be back with more questions. Actually I have one now - Quick Clot. Does it lose effectiveness?

8. bdcochran

bdcochran

There are different brand names and application approaches. So, I give my generality as follows. Blood stop was first used on horses. It works. There are two kinds of blood stop. One kind is made from bovine blood. If you are allergic to it, you will have a problem. The second kind is made from potatoes. That is what is used by the military.

Application. The "highest", if that is a proper term, is blood stop on an Israeli bandage. I carry them in the car as well as at home.

Yes, I had to use blood stop once on myself. It works.

The blood stop might or might not be hydrostatic. Check. You buy small, sealed containers if you can. Available at pet stores, but check that you are not getting the bovine blood type.

Grayson and Ofc.JL like this.