close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Experiences converting VHS to DVD-Help needed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

I have some home movies from when my daughter was born thru her teen years that I need to convert to DVD. I googled it and got about 1,000 different instructions, each with reviews that said this way sucks! I realize that there are always a bunch that their lives are based on bad-mouthing everything and anything even if they have had no experience with it. I have a DVD burner on my PC and a VHS deck and I was looking for some first-hand experiences and recommendations. My first question is what format should the conversion create so I can go in and play with one of the Roxio type applications. I've seen that some produce mpeg only, some produce a couple of different formats. Opinions and suggestions please!

-=BDD=-

2. dan1488

dan1488

don't have any knowledge on it but the other day I was at Fred Meyers (like walmart) and they sold vhs dvd combos that can do what you are looking for.

3. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

I don't want to buy another VHS deck, but if that is my only choice, then I guess I'll do it!

-=BDD=-

4. smokin762

smokin762

That's how I did it. It was the easiest way for me.

5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

*This only works if you have a digital camcorder that has AV inputs*

If I needed to do this, I would use my circa 2003 Sony camcorder that uses mini DV digital tapes. It has AV inputs so I can plug any video device into it. It can then either 1) record the inputted video onto the mini DV tapes, or 2) use the camcorder as a digital converter pass-thru to the PC. For what you need to do, you would use the camcorder as a pass-thru. The camcorder hooks up to the PC using a firewire cable ($10), and then use free software called WinDV (google it) to capture the digital feed as an uncompressed AVI file. Then use your DVD burning software to make the DVD.

As I said at the top, this only works if you already have a digital camcorder with AV inputs, but if you do, the most you'll have to pay for is a firewire card if your PC doesn't already have a firewire port.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

There are USB devices that will accept analog inputs (like from a VHS output).

http://vhs-to-dvd-converters-review.toptenreviews.com/

I'd get that first one, Diamond Video Capture. For $40... what's not to like.
    I've been planning to do the same thing to convert some old VHS tapes, just haven't done it yet.

I didn't find anything negative in my google search, but only looked briefly.

7. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

I've used a standalone DVD recorder.
    Less than a hundred bucks at WalMart.

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

Stand alone combo unit is the way to go. I've done it both ways, and the video card and software for the PC probably cost more than the combo unit, and the PC approach was much more aggravating.

9. railfancwb

railfancwb

Oh... My most recent conversion was the VHS of my son's wedding so I could give them the DVD for their anniversary.

My daughter's first wedding didn't last, but I kept the VHS because it included appearances by my mother, my wife, and other friends and relatives who have now passed on.

10. DaneA

DaneA

Before buying another unit you might want to price some of these professional outlets that will do it and clean up the images while they are at it.

11. 56belair

56belair

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. lwt210

lwt210

Okay, I was there once in the same spot looking and looking for a way to convert all of my son's VHS baby tapes over to digital.

This thing was the bomb. It was time consuming but was relatively easy and inexpensive.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-VC500-Video-Capture/dp/B001FAE8MA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348510375&sr=8-2&keywords=diamond+vc500"]Amazon.com: USB Video Capture: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qlzLXAq1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41qlzLXAq1L[/ame]

I had to fool around with the settings a bit to get a video signal on the computer but once I did, it was smooth sailing. I have my son's entire life on my netbook, our home notebook, my work notebook and two external back up HDs.

I only wish I had gotten on the ball sooner. One of the tapes had deteriorated to where the audio was static. Thankfully there wasn't much footage on that tape.

I was this close to buying a dual VHS/DVD burner and all the disc I would have needed for MUCH more cash than I spent on this thing. I rolled the dice and took a shot on it and it worked out well.

Good luck. Oh, and it takes a bit of time to convert since it is minute for minute conversion. But we made a family activity out of it and watched the movies as we converted them. Good times.

My review:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/R8GU56NLI0D21/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000VM60I8&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag="]Amazon.com: lwt210's review of Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ezjmYR2hL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ezjmYR2hL[/ame]

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012