close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Experience with Spike’s uppers?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by K. Foster, Apr 9, 2010.

1. K. Foster

K. Foster

I’m getting a Spike’s lower. I had planned to buy a BCM 16" mid length upper for it. But, I was looking at the Spike’s uppers and they seem to dot all the I’s & cross the T’s with their specs. Anybody have any experience with Spike’s uppers?

2. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

get the BCM, spike's may cross the T's but they dont dot the eyes :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010

3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

That is an interesting, and correct, way to say that.

Buy a BCM or equivalent.

4. K. Foster

K. Foster

Does that come from a bad experience with Spike’s?

5. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

I have a complete Spikes upper and it is very well built.
    The one place that Spikes had issues was that they used DPMS parts kits. For the price and quality of the build they should have used better parts kits. My understanding is that he now uses a better grade of kit.

I would buy from them again

6. K. Foster

K. Foster

Is it reliable? What kind accuracy do you get out of it.

7. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

Since mine is a 14 1/2" pencil barrel with flash hider I have only shot it 50 yds and it seems to group really well

Out of the box reliability is amazing, not one malfunction since day one.

8. K. Foster

K. Foster

9. RUSH2112

RUSH2112 Big Member

No, it doesn't. You'll see the same characters around here repeatedly talking nonsense about Spike's for one simple reason.
    They paid a ton of money for their Noveske or Larue, and in order to somehow preserve the prestige of the brand THEY own, they have to convince you and everyone else that Spike's can't possibly be offering upper-tier rifles for less money.

Supposedly Spike's Daniel Defense barrels are not HP tested, and like Noveske, they don't waste money HP testing their bolts.

I don't own any Spike's except for a lower on a BCM middy. But if I was looking for another upper I'd be all over the current Spike's deal.
    I have no insecurity issues about the value or prestige of my BCMs just because Spike's is running a special on their ARs.

Spike's M4 LE review by StickMan
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2115-Spike-s-Tactical-16-quot-M4-LE-upper

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  10. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

oh lookie, a Fanboy:wavey:
    most people are simply awaiting Rob_s upcoming review of Spikes. till then they are not upper-tier gear.

11. HAIL CAESAR

No, it is just that the company itself has had questionable business practices in the past. IMO

They lied about their suppliers raising their rates. That was untrue.

They make claims about their rifles and refused to back it up with documentation.

They are a "stay away" business for me, as I have too many to choose from that are honorable, forthright, known, and honest.

12. K. Foster

K. Foster

Considering the recent hostility we’ve had on this forum, I’d like to leave the childishness out of this discussion, please.
    Being able to fill out a spreadsheet may have gotten Rob overnight notoriety but that doesn’t make him an instant expert in my eyes. That said, he seems fairly squared away for someone that doesn’t have LE or military experience. I’ll be interested to read Rob’s comments, but his opinion alone won’t qualify or disqualify a product for me.

13. K. Foster

K. Foster

I respect your opinion and will definitely keep that in mind.

14. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

I was simply responding in kind to his post, Im not really concerned with your opinion.
    Robs credibility comes from the fact that his comparisons are unbiased, regardless of manufacturer and he constantly updates "the chart" when new info is available or when manufacturers/assembliers (like spikes) updates their product line. He doesnt endorse anyone, simplies gives you the info to make your own choice.
    As Caesar has mentioned, spike's reputation proceeds him, he has to overcome some shady deals in the past.
    Like I mentioned earlier. Im impartial to spikes, they make nothing Im interested in, I neither recommend nor condem their stuff...

15. HAIL CAESAR

K.,
    I am definitely not trying to be a jerk. ( I got my being real nice hat on)

It is just that I have been in the gun business too long and have seen this before with about everything firearm related.

Usually the "Our suppliers of XYZ parts are an industry secret, we don't want out competitors finding out who supplies us" mantra of companies is 99.99% of the time is a joke. Everybody in the "industry" already knows who gets parts from whom.

It is just a "consumer secret" and not a industry secret.

Take STAG ARMS for example, do you not think their President knows were every competitor gets there parts? And if he doesn't know don't you think it's because he never bothered to find out? And in one phone call could find out??

These "top secret supplier" companies are keeping the info from the consumer not other companies. USUALLY the reason they keep it a "secret" from the consumer is they know the consumer would not be pleased about the info, or the company would be caught telling fibs.

I am being serious about this... You want to join me in a new business???
    We'll sell AR uppers. Every barrel is 4150 steel CL, HP and MPI tested. Every bolt is MP, HP, and shot peened. We'll sell the uppers for ....$495.

But the truth of the matter is that they are just...oh...let's say Del-ton kits.:whistling:

We'll just lie and say all the parts are what I specified above.

You know how many uppers we'll sell?? Hundreds!!
    You know how many we'll sell if we come up with a "cool" name that has "Tactical" in the name somewhere?? Thousands.

If anyone asks us about our suppliers we'll just say it is a "Industry Secret"!!

16. K. Foster

K. Foster

Caesar, I hear what you are saying. I will probably go with BCM. I just thought I’d throw the question out, see what people thought.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

17. K. Foster

K. Foster

Likewise.

18. HAIL CAESAR

I am not trying to be a hardhead or a know it all, I just want folks to think about a few things before they lay down their hard earned cash.

If you buy a Spike's or a BCM...wouldn't matter to me. I just want people to know as much as they can so they can make a choice based on knowledge.

Good luck in your selection process.:wavey: