Experience With Carpet Cleaning?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by yerscattergun, Feb 15, 2010.

1. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

My wife and I are looking to move into a home that we have rented out for about 5 years and we would like to deep clean the carpet. I received a quote
    from a "professional" carpet cleaning company for about $300. That's quite a bit of change that I'd much rather spend on a gun or ammo. :supergrin:

Lowes and Home Depot has some rental machines that are of the hot water
    extracting variety and I've heard they work decent. Does anyone have any
    experience with these? And what specific models? Home depot has a commercial beast for about $50 a day that has an internal heating element.
    The Rug Doctors at Lowes do not have the internel element.

Should I go with the prefessional cleaners or rent a machine and save about $200 + dollars?

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

The rental machines are okay for day to day cleaning. I found one on sale for about $100 and have used it for years for muddy dog prints etc.

When I'm selling a house or turning back in a rental house I've always hired the pros and the water they pull up is black with junk mine did not pick up.

Before moving back in get it professionally done. Then occasionally rent the other one and use it to touch up. Every 5 years or so get the pros back.

3. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Funny you should ask. The Professional Cleaners just left my house 1 hour ago and they did an AWESOME job on the carpet and 3 couches. I have them come out about once a year.

There is no way I could do as good as a job as them. And they even found some lost woman's jewelry in the upstairs couch. Its worth the $388 to me to have them come out.

PS- I am still wearing the little "booties" they gave me to walk around the house in since the carpet still might be moist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Have you considered just buying a machine? I have a Hoover Spin Scrub that has hot water and deep cleans. It was about $200. If you have the time and inclination, you'd get your money back after four cleanings. You can also use the attachments to clean couches, car carpets, etc.

It does an excellent job. The vacuum power would suck the weeds out of the ground. We've had this thing for five years and no trouble yet.

5. RustySocket

RustySocket

After renting carpet cleaners for many years I finally just went out and purchased a Kenmore upright. It's certainly not commercial grade but having one around means I can use it often. I think I paid about 170$ for it and we use it about every 2-3 months.... or when we have a spill or dog related accident.

No hassle of going to rent, no deadline to return....

My decision to buy one was precipitated by a situation similar to yours. Carpet service wanted 300$ and a rental was unavailable during the time I needed it....

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

If other people were living in the home, at a minimum I would have the entire place steam cleaned. If I could I would just re carpet. I don't like finding other peoples toenails in the carpet or smelling their pets.

7. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I bought a Rug Docter WideTrac a few years back (its a pretty common rental machine at our local supermarkets & hardware stores.) It does an awesome job. The amount of black water that comes out of the tank is pretty nasty but at least you know its doing something. Only problem is, my new house has all hardwood floors. :rofl:

8. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

I'm thinking about the WideTrac Rug Doctor, but the consensus here is
    to hire a pro. That toe nail comment made me think I should go with the
    pro afterall. Damn, I could have been half way toward my upper.

9. RayB

RayB Retired Member

:agree:

I used to sell this equipment and the chemicals to professionals...

Keep in mind that nothing you buy at Target is going to rival a truck mounted, professional system, driven by a PTO from the engine; or a heavy-duty, self-contained professional unit.

Always vacuum the carpet thoroughly first.

Pre-spot any stains with the appropriate cleaner. Some stains are best treated by enzymes, etc.

Remember, extraction is the process by which most of the dirt and stains is removed. The crud is loosened by the cleaning solution (and possibly moving brushes), then it's hydraulically removed by the jet of hot water being injected into and extracted from the carpet's pile to the unit's recovery tank.

A professional extractor leaves the carpet much dryer!

Different carpet types are best cleaned by different equipment and methods. A glued-down commercial carpet requires a different process than a residential deep pile carpet.

Avoid overuse of soap, and avoid sudsing soaps, as when they dry they attract dirt! For spot cleaning, use a non-sudsing cleaner, like Spic & Span, and an old toothbrush, then stand on a dry towel to absorb.

Do not over-scrub a stain, as you'll raise the knap on the carpet, and that looks as bad as the stain did!

While hot water sanitizes to a point, I like to use peroxide on a carpet for that purpose. I vacuum and then pretreat the entire carpet (using a five gallon Hudson Sprayer) with a fairly strong solution of H2Orange2; then I extract using a much weaker solution of H2Orange2. This kills the cooties and the cleaning action of the peroxide continues for a couple of hours after the process is finished. Carpets look and smell great!

Tip: Check mailings and phone books for carpet cleaning coupons--or look on-line for specials!

--Ray

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

In my experience, if your carpets have become bad enough that they look like they need to be cleaned, you are better of just replacing it. I have had my carpets professionally cleaned after trying to keep up with them myself with a Bissel Proheat. No matter if I did it, or they did it, the carpets look good for a few days. Two weeks tops and then they look like they need to be cleaned again. And my house is relatively low traffic.

11. shavedape

shavedape

Have cleaned more carpets than I care to remember. What I can tell you is that if you are doing more than say 2 or 3 small rooms you will curse yourself for wasting time renting a machine. Rug Doctors are ok but you have to fill and empty the tank over and over and over and over and over again. I'm lucky in that I've got an old model Bissel that they don't sell anymore. It has the hose that runs a steady supply of steaming hot water to the machine, but I still have to empty the dirty water constantly. It works great but even this model can be a pain after a couple hours, trust me. In the scheme of things $300 to do your whole house is money well spent. There's so much competition out there you can shop around and use a coupon and all that but in the end you'll end up paying a couple hundred easily, which shouldn't be that much of a concern for you. Your concern should be getting the job done correctly with as little hassle to you as possible.

12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Chem Dry comes to my house about every 6 months. I've always been pleased.