Experience starting a new unit?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by i8547, Apr 10, 2012.

1. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

Does anyone here have experience with starting/proposing a new unit at their agency? I've noticed a void in conducting long-term surveillances over the last year that could easily be filled if we had a full-time surveillance team versus pulling personnel from our abatement team and other units.

So I would like to put together some form of issue paper to present to get the ball rolling on starting one. If anyone has any experience in this area and/or templates on any documentation that you may have presented, I would be interested in picking your brain. Shoot me a PM.

2. stk10767

stk10767

Start off by just simply volunteering to do the surveillance that you think is lacking. Hopefully it will catch on. Then you can tell your Lieutenant 6 months from now what a good idea he had!:rofl:

3. scottydl

scottydl

^^ My thoughts exactly. We have specialty division that developed from 1-2 officers doing that activity during downtime on their shift. Their effectiveness was recognized by supervisors and it went from there.

In the meantime, start putting together a list of cases you mentioned that could have benefited from long-term surveillance. Be brief yet detailed, as difficult as that may be. An official proposal will probably be needed eventually, depending on your department.

4. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

From my experience, you would be better off pissing up a rope and contemplating the time it will take to dry and how to stop the odor of urine with hopes and dreams.

Good luck to you.

5. jpa

jpa CLM

Ditto this unless you have pics of the chief and his secretary in compromising positions or you're the "golden child" that can do no wrong and walks on water in your agency.

Good luck

6. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

Just to add/clarify... I am in a federal agency and currently assigned to an intel shop. The only problem is that our intel shop has no full-time surveillance component. We are all equally responsible for our case investigations, targeting, abatement, suppression, and source/informant development. But because we get pulled in so many different directions, we lack in the area of surveillance which in turn is hampering our effectiveness.

7. Vigilant

Vigilant

Just convince 'em that they could show a substantial cost reduction on paper.

8. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Just curious, how high up the chain would the approval for the unit have to go? ASAC/SAC or DC? The only reason I ask is from experience, the higher it goes, the more numbers they're going to want to see to back up the manpower request. I'm sure you know what I mean. Good luck.

9. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

It wouldn't have to go any higher than our APAIC, which is the equiv. to an ASAC. So I'm not barking too far up the chain and not too much cost would need to be put into the unit. The only thing is giving me the manpower and a few vehicles that we already have in our fleet that are going unused.

10. SAR

SAR CLM

Yes, I have started a few units from the ground up, both uniformed and plainclothes. I sent you one of our concept papers via email.

11. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

SAR would know..but my concern is that on a large agency, would this be a small divisional or bureau wide unit or department-wide? No one wants to loose manpower and this might require a certain number of personnel to do the job reliably (full time of course). Surveillance units can be labor intensive, I know first hand, and could require long periods of watching and following with little relief. And unless you are following inexperienced girl scouts you could easily get made unless proper training and vehicles are used. What else will your unit be responsible for? The best surveillance unit on my department is also responsible for all hostage kidnappings for instance and is on call 24/7. All things to be considered! Good luck.