Glock Talk banner

Expensive Glock

2K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  MartinRiggs1987 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I agree it is ridiculous and I wouldn't buy it, but I could see why the guy is asking that much. The basic OD G34 might bring as much as $700 on a good day, so maybe the custom work will make it worth the price for someone. I'm guessing the grip work and sights cost more than $275. Some people have more money than brains and will pay for it.

#5 ·
I agree the custom work was expensive...but the problem with custom work is just that, it is custom. What adds value and likeability for one person, devalues and ruins the look to another. Id much rather it be how it was from the factory...

#6 · (Edited)
I agree it is ridiculous and I wouldn't buy it, but I could see why the guy is asking that much. The basic OD G34 might bring as much as $700 on a good day, so maybe the custom work will make it worth the price for someone. I'm guessing the grip work and sights cost more than $275. Some people have more money than brains and will pay for it.
And you are correct about it being worth it for somebody out there. It just may sit there for a long time waiting for the guy out there looking for a slightly used G34 with an od frame that has been stippled, undercut, dehorned, etc...and wants it badly enough to pay that price!

To me, custom work devalues a glock. And that is perfectly fine for somebody making a gun their own, Im in no position to tell someone how their gun should be. It just seems like the wise thing to do, IMO, is if there is even a remote chance you will be getting rid of the gun, would be to not have any custom work done, that cant be undone. Ive got lots of custom mods for my gun, but I kept all the stock parts, and it can be taken back to stock on about ten or fifteen minutes.

#8 ·
Thank God, I thought this was going to be the Gunbroker gold engraved Glock that pops up every couple months.

By the way the auction says 'no reserve', 'highest bidder wins' but then the starting bid is over $900.00. How the heck does that work, makes no sense?

/

#9 ·
Thank God, I thought this was going to be the Gunbroker gold engraved Glock that pops up every couple months.

By the way the auction says 'no reserve', 'highest bidder wins' but then the starting bid is over $900.00. How the heck does that work, makes no sense?

/
Ya I know!!! Confusing isnt it! All I can figure is it is basically a way to have a reserve price without saying there is a reserve. It is silly, no reserve, as long as you spend this much....

#10 · (Edited)
I knowingly devalue my Gen 3 Glock 19/23's by removing the finger grooves. Most of the time it's a non issue for me as I keep most of my Glocks and removing the terrible grooves makes it better for me. If I sell them I'll take the hit, or not as many people don't like finger grooves.

I recently purchased a new in box G23 OD and I am undecided with respect to cutting it. I had previously avoided buying a G23 OD because I knew I would cut it and it seemed wrong in some way. I haven't shot it yet either, but I realize it will not appreciate in value.

As for the "no reserve" with starting price of $900, at least the bidder knows they can get it for the bid they place. I was always frustrated by ebay auctions starting at $1 with an unknown reserve price. Stuff would get bid up, but you might not get it even if you won.

#11 ·
I knowingly devalue my Gen 3 Glock 19/23's by removing the finger grooves. Most of the time it's a non issue for me as I keep most of my Glocks and removing the terrible grooves makes it better for me. If I sell them I'll take the hit, or not as many people don't like finger grooves.

I recently purchased a new in box G23 OD and I am undecided with respect to cutting it. I had previously avoided buying a G23 OD because I knew I would cut it and it seemed wrong in some way. I haven't shot it yet either, but I realize it will not appreciate in value.
I hear ya man, whatever floats your boat. I wasnt trying to start a debate or say you were wrong or I was right or anything. I actually think we are agreeing about custom work and such. It just doesnt make sense to me how he can do all that work to it, and then think it adds as much value to the gun as what he paid for it...

#12 ·

As for the "no reserve" with starting price of $900, at least the bidder knows they can get it for the bid they place. I was always frustrated by ebay auctions starting at $1 with an unknown reserve price. Stuff would get bid up, but you might not get it even if you won.

I would put that sucker on Gunbroker with no reserve and a starting bid of $1,500.00.

/

#14 ·
Wow! Some people are just insane. $975 for a Glock. I doubt the guy even put that much money INTO the gun. Even the sights and grip work shouldn't be more than $300-400. Guns are like cars, you do NOT get back the money you spent in modifications (most of the time). The exceptions would be Jeeps, and accessories that don't affect the original gun, like conversion barrels, conversion long slides, etc. That gun is worth $550 on a good day.

#15 ·
I hear ya man, whatever floats your boat. I wasnt trying to start a debate or say you were wrong or I was right or anything. I actually think we are agreeing about custom work and such. It just doesnt make sense to me how he can do all that work to it, and then think it adds as much value to the gun as what he paid for it...
We agree 100%, no misunderstanding your intentions. I was suggesting in my previous post that I wreck the resale value of my range guns my modifying the frames, but I am OK with that as they work better for me. On the resale side I would expect to lose money on something I cut up or had cut up, not get increased value back out of it.

#16 ·
Good deal! You have your head screwed on straight, knowing you arent adding any value to the gun, this guy however....I dont know what he is thinking...

The bigger dummy in this situation though, is gonna be the dumbass who ends up bidding on it! Haha, Im gonna have to keep an eye on this auction just to see if anybody bites...

#20 · (Edited)
Anybody else notice how extremely thin that trigger guard is???
I'm not advocating someone go that thin, but there is a lot of polymer there from the factory and some slight massaging makes it nicer for me. I usually use a small file to slightly round the left corner (I'm left handed) of the trigger guard to avoid "glock knuckle". I had a G30 that someone else hacked up before I got it (picked it up for $300 because of the previous cutting, looked like they took a dremel sanding drum and shoved it into the area where the trigger guard and grip meet, removed about 3/16" of material). To make it presentable I ended up running the trigger guard about as thin as that one and adding some black epoxy at the top of the grip and reshaping it. It was very comfortable to shoot because it allowed a higher grip. I didn't have any issues for the time I owned it. No way I would run one that thin by choice and I see no point in rounding the front.

Looking at this one specifically; I never understand why people stipple the underside of the trigger guard, seems like it would tear up the top of the weak hand finger.

#22 ·
I'm not advocating someone go that thin, but there is a lot of polymer there from the factory and some slight massaging makes it nicer for me. I usually use a small file to slightly round the left corner (I'm left handed) of the trigger guard to avoid "glock knuckle". I had a G30 that someone else hacked up before I got it (picked it up for $300 because of the previous cutting, looked like they took a dremel sanding drum and shoved it into the area where the trigger guard and grip meet, removed about 3/16" of material). To make it presentable I ended up running the trigger guard about as thin as that one and adding some black epoxy at the top of the grip and reshaping it. It was very comfortable to shoot because it allowed a higher grip. I didn't have any issues for the time I owned it. No way I would run one that thin by choice and I see no point in rounding the front.

Looking at this one specifically; I never understand why people stipple the underside of the trigger guard, seems like it would tear up the top of the weak hand finger.
Im totally with you on undercutting the triggerguard, that is actually something Id like to have done to mine! My fingers are thick enough that I could use just a little more room to move my fingers up so the bottom side of them isnt resting on the protrusions...

#24 ·
I saw a G21SF with assembled G20 slide combination for sale that was less than $975. This guy is insane. Let's see, would I rather have a hacked up Glock with nice sights, or a Colt Delta Elite?
Or a S&W 10xx perhaps?

#25 · (Edited)
And you are correct about it being worth it for somebody out there. It just may sit there for a long time waiting for the guy out there looking for a slightly used G34 with an od frame that has been stippled, undercut, dehorned, etc...and wants it badly enough to pay that price!

To me, custom work devalues a glock. And that is perfectly fine for somebody making a gun their own, Im in no position to tell someone how their gun should be. It just seems like the wise thing to do, IMO, is if there is even a remote chance you will be getting rid of the gun, would be to not have any custom work done, that cant be undone. Ive got lots of custom mods for my gun, but I kept all the stock parts, and it can be taken back to stock on about ten or fifteen minutes.
Agreed. I never understood that process of thinking that custom work adds to the purchase price of a firearm up for auction, UNLESS it's a 1911.

For me, it is a total turn-off, and you can hear my mouse as it goes CLICK, to the next auction.

Speaking of inflated prices have you checked these out?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256253369

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256253335

Now both of these are stock OD Glocks and NIB. But there were several auctions in the past. By the same seller, asking the same price range for ODs, that had the slide and frame with different serials.

#26 ·
Lol, what a frikin joke.

Gimme $900 to spend on a Glock purchase... I'll buy a 27 & a 23, to round out my .40 family. :supergrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.