close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Expenses to run a board

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by hercules, Aug 24, 2002.

1. hercules

hercules

Seeing the top banner on this site, and running a board myself, I was just curious what expenses is involved in running this board.

Here is a typical list of expenses a typical board admin would have:

Domain name maintenance: $35 or so pr. year.
    UBB (Ultimate bulletin Board) purchase expense: $350-$400. One time expense.
    Typical cost for DNS hosting and webspace, if you don't run your own server: about $40-$100 pr. quarter.
    Using your free time for mainenance of the site.

2. JMC

JMC

I also run my own board. It's a very small board (not firearm related), so I can get away with using one of the free message board sites. However, running a board of this size requires a much more substantial infrastructure. UBB is nice for a small to medium sized board, but it's all PERL based and, if you're running on an NT based server, chokes up the processor during busy periods. VBulletin, which is what GT runs on, is a DB system. You need a server that is capable of running MySQL, as well as running the board software. By the time you get this large, you generally end up running your own server, not using a web hosting provider. However, you do still need a hosting company to provide the network pipes, which can be a significant monthly cost. Notice how nice and fast GT loads? That tells me that Eric has not spared the expense here. I have only been around this board for a month or two, but I would be willing to bet that GT is costing him as much as several hundred dollars a month.

3. hercules

hercules

If you're running your own T1 line, sure. The cost is about 600-800 bucks a month, depending on the provider.And sure, CGI scripts eat up server resources. Thats why most of us run php ;-)(btw I don't,,yet), mysql backend, and on a linux/unix box. But nessecary to have your own server on a dedicated T1? Not at all. I know several boards that run hosted, and run fast. They all run php and mysql backend. So the additional (if any) cost would solely come from a dedicated T1.

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

hercules, I won't get into an item by item analysis of what it costs to run this site, but it is expensive. This site is on a dedicated T-1, which costs substantially more than 600-800 a month BTW, and it is using about 85% of that T-1, at peak periods. As for server resources, this site uses three servers: A firewall, the main server and a mail server. The main server is a very powerful box, but this site still taxes it pretty good, at peak times, or when admin functions are running. This site typically moves about 17GB of data an hour average. My mail server for GT typically sends about 6,500 messages a day and receives around 3,500 messages. It simply would not be possible to host this system on a vhost account somewhere. This site started out on such an account, but outgrew it two years ago.

It is cheap to run a message board site when it is starting out and there isn't much traffic, but at this level, there really isn't a cheap way to do things...Eric

5. JoeG19

JoeG19 1965

'Nuff said. Its a Great Board Eric, and we Glocker's and other various members appriciatel it. - 'ole joe :cool:

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock No California

Yes, we do appreciate it very, very much. Glock Talk is a part of more peoples daily lives than just a few.

7. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Hercules,
    With many "commercial" sites out there that charge a monthly fee, I don't think that Eric is out of line asking for donations. The key word is donate, it's not mandatory so if you feel you don't want to contribute you still will be able to leech for free. I have belonged to this board for a long time and was happy to make a contribution. I'm sure many of us would be more than willing to pay a monthly fee to keep this going if needed. I know I have more than saved a few dollars off reccomendations of this board, not to mention the wisdom. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if Eric takes the extra money and buys a new Corvette to help speed his recovery. His time is worth something. At least in my eyes. I know when reading posts now the first thing I look for is to see who's a contributor and who's not...

Get well soon Eric,

8. X OUT

X OUT ...

9. AAshooter

AAshooter

Eric, thanks for some of the stats on GT. It is interesting stuff.

10. Rob61

Rob61 Read the sign..

I don't run a board, but being a network/system engineer I had often to design this type of infrastructure for my customers. First step of design is sizing and that's where a lot of folks fall. I don't know exactly what's behind GT, beside what Eric disclosed, but I know for experience that a system running those numbers can't be kept on any vhost service I know of. Moreover, I have to say, seeing it from overseas, the network provider is quite fast also in terms of international connections, that is definitely a plus. I won't disclose who the carrier is, but is definitely a "name" and I don't think the bills are any light. BTW Eric, I like the name of the .2 host :)

11. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

He asked. I respect him. I gave. Nuff said.

12. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I'll happily second that. I contributed to Eric, not GT. I have a strong hunch that Eric will use all of the donations for GT, just because that's his style. But I don't care if he uses it for medical bills, GT bills, or a fur lined bikini for his office staff (as long as he posts pictures ;)). The money went to a good guy who has done a lot for all of us. That's good enough for me.

13. Rob61

Rob61 Read the sign..

I'm with you on this one. As somebody previosly stated: "He asked. I respect him. I gave.". And that's the end of the story.

14. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

And if another request is made in the future, I'll make another modest contribution, without hesistation.