Existential Meltdown

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AA11285, Jan 6, 2010.

1. AA11285

AA11285

I had a pretty dark period in my life a couple years back, an existential meltdown some would call it. I just hit a point when I really started to question everything I had been told all my life, including my faith. It was a pretty miserable time in my life with little direction or motivation; but I finally got back on track through a renewed sense of my faith in God and why he put me here on Earth. Im curious to see if any of you have also experience a point in your lives of great inner reflection? Do you think one can rely too heavily on their faith to get them through life? I just don't like to think about where I'd be without it! Thoughts? :cool:

2. trifecta

trifecta

I've seen lots of folks who needed a little more faith or something to get them through that tough time. Some of them make permenant bad choices during that time.

3. Ersatz

Ersatz

I think faith (in the way that it is generally defined) is an unnecessary crutch. I don't have it, but I don't begrudge it in those who do. I think if I elaborate on those statements any more, it will open upon a biblical can of worms.

If it helps you, all the more power to you. Glad you made it through your rough times.

4. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I will say first that I predict this thread will tank fast. Some rabid God haters here.....

Yes, I've to lean on the Big Guy pretty hard in the last few years due to long term illness, and my faith has benefitted me greatly. I believe there was a study done by a teach hospital lately that showed that those that had some kind of faith in their lives recuperated faster than those that don't.

I guess some folks just need to lean a little harder than others.

5. snair

snair

agree, but i also think some use it as an excuse

6. Ersatz

Ersatz

To be sure, and in so using it, it may be harmful. Faith is beneficial in some areas, harmful in others. Might be good in the short-term, might be good in the long-term. When it affects behavior, its the same as any other morality system: mileage may vary.

When it comes to personal direction, which I think is what the OP is discussing... Whatever works for you. If you find direction or meaning for your life in a faith you've selected or had instilled in you at a young age. Great.

7. HarlDane

HarlDane

This.

8. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Let me preface this by saying that I'm by no means a regular churgh-going man...

But I have noticed that with the passing of the millenium, western civilization is enjoying a growth spurt in enlightenment, which pleases me. What disappoints me is the open disdain for organized religion and outright anymosity that many have adopted with their views of existentialism.

Now hold on, I'm not saying science is wrong or that the "God Hates Fags" group of knuckleheads are right; far from it. What I'm alluding to is that the pursuit of knowledge via science and exploration are the very definition of humanity; and in the same breath, I'll also add so are spiritual pursuits and growth. It's very easy for me to allow both natural science and spirituality to coexist on an equal plane. One does not preclude the other, and I would submit that they both provide evidence of each other in more instances than not.

So to say that spirtualism/spirituality is a crutch is to echo Marx. And like Marx, is two-dimensional and short-sighted. Unfortunately, the impetus for all of the nastiness in the middle east, and an unwanted void in the landscape on the southern tip of Manhattan Island, is also rooted in spiritualism, and is nothing different from what's been going on amongst mankind since the beginning of humanity itself. But allow me to stress that I'm convinced that there is room for God in modern man and his modern life, and that a belief in a god has done far more good than all of the harm that's been very well documented during the course of human history. I don't have the answers, and I'm speaking in some very round figures, but I would encourage any thinking man to embrace his spiritual side, and do some learning on their own.

Einstein said "My sense of God is my sense of wonder...".

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'm not a religious person, but I believe in God. I don't believe in all of the teachings of religion. Man is fallible, and religion to me is supposed to be above the failings of the common man. I can't see going to a church where some of the people are declaring their love in God, yet at the same time they don't follow the teachings of it. Personally I follow the 10 commandments, and use them as a guide. I don't make any excuses for the way I am, I do try to be a good person, but it's called being a human being.

I have seen people use religion as a crutch to support them. It's common among those chronically ill, they want to believe there is more to life then being sick. I've seen fanatics too, the ones who can't handle any criticism of their religion. Personally I don't care if you worship a friggin fish, if you are a good person that's all that matters to me.

10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

That can happen if you wrap yourself up in pop culture.

11. NanH

NanH

I agree for the most part. My disdain for organized religion, however, grows from people like Brit Hume whos beliefs he will shove down the throats of people with differing faiths. I do not need an intermediary between me and God if he made me in his image. Over Christmas, my BIL made the casual statement that he was the agent in saving my sister's soul because she converted to Catholicism when they married. The arrogance of thinking your particular path is the only one does not gel with my vision of God.

OP, I am all for whatever gets anyone though any type of crisis. If people use their faith as a crutch or a sect of a religion perverts that religion's beliefs in pursuit of their own agenda (Westboro Baptist Church), it does not have anything to do with your relationship with God. I am glad you came out on the otherside of your crisis intact.