Exercise Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMC61, Feb 9, 2010.

1. USMC61

USMC61

I was reading an article the other day about different exercises for different muscle groups. The article indicated that push ups are good for the chest, tricep and bicep muscles. I can see the first two, but are the push ups really good for the bicep? The reason I ask is I do lots of push ups and bicep curls. If the push ups are good for bicep development can I just forget the bicep curls? Keep in mind I am no body builder, just an over 65 guy who is trying to stay in shape a little bit.

2. area727

area727 G23

Biceps would be a secondary muscle being used. If you want to train your biceps directly, stick with the curls.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010

3. Cambo

Cambo

It really depends on hand placement. If you place your hands pretty far apart, you will have some biceps and minimal triceps involvement. If you place your hands closer together, you will have more triceps and less biceps involvement. As a personal trainer who studies physics/forces, anatomy and joint mechanics, I would be happy to help you out with any other questions you might have.

4. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

At your age, I would concentrate on stretching, walking/running, and lots of push ups, sit ups, lunges, etc... I would not really worry about weights, unless you are going to go very light. I say this because you said you are no bodybuilder, trying to stay in shape a little bit, and if you have no prior knowledge of weight training, I would stick with the exercises of listed above.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Go with free weights studies show they help keep bone density in Seniors. No reason you can't do a little research and find a workout plan sensibly using free weights to keep you healthy and fit.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Ah, you beat me to the punch sir. :)

I expected slower posting from you folks with all that slow on your power/data lines. :cool:

I do have a question, (actually, a bunch) on shooting position, but in particular, grip and which muscles are used to work the trigger finger...

Thank you,
    'Drew

7. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

I am not sure I would do that without the help of a personal trainer, if at all. Its hard enough to learn the proper techinique, so if you want to use resistance, I would start with the machines. That way you would reduce the risk of injury and have a better chance at maintaining proper form.

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

USMC,

As others have stated, pushups could work biceps some, but it would not be an exercise I would use to directly target biceps. If you like curls, keep doing them. Nothing wrong with doing both at all.

Two rules in staying fit:

1) Find something you enjoy
    2) Do #1

In good health to ya... :cheers:

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I disagree starting light with minimal instruction video or personal trainer anyone that can do a proper push up can use light wieghts to keep fit.
    Machines teach bad habits.

10. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

LOL, and free weights dont teach bad habits? I am not getting into a debate about free weights or machines, all I am saying is that I think machines would be better for somone just getting used to resistance excersizes. After they get used to that, then graduate to free weights..

I love free weights, but I have seen a lot more people use bad form with free weights because they are so worried about the "weight" on the bar. With machines, people are less likely to worry about the amount of weight.

11. professor gun

professor gun

Very true. Though you can find ways to use improper form with machines, it is less likely compared to free weights.

As for the pushups, keep in mind the biceps functions to bend the elbow and with the pushups you have gravity doing that. I would vote for biceps curls to target the biceps and other elbow flexors.

12. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'm only 24, and I stick with mostly bodyweight exercises. Couple hundred pushups and situps, and when the weather is good, a couple miles of running. I did notice that my triceps were getting a bit bigger and my biceps were not at all, so I got a bar and am supplementing with curls. Seems to be doing the trick, I'm in better shape now than when I got out of basic at 19.

13. USMC61

USMC61

Thanks for all the info guys. I am not really new to the free weight bit. I have been messing around with them off and on since I was about 14. I don't do heavy weights because of a bad back. I have had herniated discs on two occasions so heavy weights (don't want to do them anyway) and sit ups are really out for me. Actually the only weights I do are the bicep curl and flys. I do enjoy the push ups and they do not seem to bother my back (do 1250 every other day-10 sets of 125 reps) and the off day is the bicep curls and the flys.

Cambo, I read a few weeks ago (Men's Health I think) that doing the bicep curl very fast was much more beneficial than slow. Does that sound about right?

Anyway every day I walk fast (not race walk) and do step ups. I am retired so I have time to do this stuff (like to do it) and my wife seems pretty happy when I am out in the garage and she is in the casita.

Don't get me wrong, I am not honking my own horn, people do different things in retirement and this is mine, plus it don't cost nothing.

14. Officer X

Officer X

Better yet, pullups. Works the biceps and a host of others.

15. Officer X

Officer X

16. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Pushups, pullups, chins, dips, squats are all resistance exercises that require no machine.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

17. area727

area727 G23

Sure, pullups/chinups work the biceps and back. But does he have access to a pullup bar? I dont know. He just mentioned curls, so I assume he has some dumbbells.

18. area727

area727 G23

Holy Crap, you do 1250 pushups every other day? Not doubting you, but what kind of pushups do you do, and how far down do you go each rep?

19. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

20. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Sets of 125 push ups is absolutely amazing... when I was in my best shape, I could only knock out about 100-125... but NEVER for sets... that is truly amazing!!!

I am assuming you are doing military style push ups... ie, flat back, upper arms parrellel to the floor!