close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Excuse to ride

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by .45 Combat, Aug 6, 2006.

1. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Hey folks, a friend awhile back said it would be cheaper to buy an econo car than to buy a motorcycle? I've always wanted to purchase an adventure bike like either a V-Strom 650 or KLR 650.

My friend told me I'll go through tires quickly and they cost a whole lot more than just auto tires as one example he gave me.

I'm not trying to start a war, gas is outrageous, I know the V-Strom is more refined and up to date, while the KLR is a jeep and is an old bike, and even though is very popular.

Is it worth it? Frankly, I'm looking towards getting an adventure bike like the ones I've mentioned. Or I can get a VW. I really want the bike, but is it feasable, if you all can tell me about the cost advantages, it'll help.

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

A bike is cheaper as a second vehicle.

Minimal fuel burn - tires will last depending on your riding habits - no insurance required even on financed bikes - requires little parking / storage room if you only plan on using it occasionally.

You will be lacking in comfort / safety vs. an eco car however.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Motorcycle vs a second car will result in a win for the motorcycle. Motorcycle as a second vehicle will result in more money spent than what you would save on gas for your first vehicle.

4. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Thank guy's, fnfalman sorry about your bike, I've got two dirt, bikes a KTM 450 that has a carb. that I have to clean out, and the same goes with the Honda 250XR. Both are '03 models.

I haven't owned a street bike yet, but they've got a safety course at the local school and I'm going to look into it.

5. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Cycle tire don't last as long as car tires. The reason for this is how the vehicles turn. Car tires are flat and use the whole tread pattern to turn on. Cycles lean into turns so the wear pattern is different, more of an oval. Cycle tires run about $200-250 mounted. That is a third what my tires on my Blazer cost.

Here is more of a breakdown Cycle vs Car:

Tire life: Car; sort of explained above
    Gas mileage: Motorcycle; my cycle gets 69mpg
    Maintenance cost: Motorcycle; about $100-150 per year
    Parking space: Motorcycle; you can park 3 cycles in a regular car space
    Insurance: Motorcycle; I pay $18/mo
    Cargo capacity: Car; lot's o room
    Fun: Motorcycle; you won't understand until you ride
    Most use for your dollar: Motorcycle; explained below

What car can you buy that will last you 20 years of everyday operation without having to spend even HALF of what you bought it for on maintaining it? My father has a 1984 Honda Sabre 750 that has over 80K miles on it. He bought it brand new in 1984. I think he said he paid a little over $2000 with a jacket, boots, and helmet included. He maybe stuck $2000 into it over the 22 year period to maintenance (about $91 per year for maintenance). What car can you spend $2000 on and have it keep running like brand new 22 years later with $2000 over that 22 years for maintenance? Bottom line is you can't.

I say go for the cycle. That said, when I get out of school, I'm going to get me a VW Jetta TDI diesel.