excessive wear on slide from barrel hood

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by timbob, Feb 2, 2010.

1. timbob

timbob

on the right side of the slide, just above the extractor; there's a nice dent/chunk wearing out from the barrel hood coming into contact with the slide on the rear part of the ejection port.

unusual?

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Sounds unusual.

Can you post a picture?

Is it like this one?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010

3. timbob

timbob

yeah, it's just like that pic. not quite as severe-- only ran about 1200 rds so far.

4. Butch

5. timbob

timbob

good info, thanks for the help.

6. mongo356

mongo356

I had the same problem on the last 3 Glocks I've bought. 2-G27's, and a G23. It seems to be only in semi recent guns....for example my sn prefixs are MPR,MSL, NDD. They are all making that mark. I have looked a few guns over in the gun shop and they had the beginnings of marks there.

The Glock tech I spoke with said not to worry unless it causes a problem. That's the route I took, they function fine and are accurate so thats about all I ask for.

I believe its more of a it looks bad problem, none of my previous Glocks have this mark so it does seem out of place.
    YMMV

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

My Glock 22 has this mark.

8. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

Wow Butch, that looks like it was taken with a microscope. Look how rough the glock finish is!

Great photos, as usual!

9. Butch

Thanks Blue, but I didn't take that one....I just cropped it and circled the dingy. I believe it came from member rezin777.....IIRC.

10. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

I stand corrected; cool shot though.

11. sgt rock

sgt rock

I can understand rub marks from metal to metal contact but gouges are not acceptable, name another pistol with marks like that. It could be a sloppy barrel to slide fit . With the slide and barrel off the frame of my G17 and no recoil spring i can push the barrel to one side or the other of the slide as i push the barrel into battery. The hood doesnt slam into the slide edge, at worst it has a slight friction contact on one side and doesnt show any marks from firing. Ive never seen this problem until recently and would be sending it back to Glock .

12. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

My newish G23 has a mark in the same spot-On mine it looks like peening not a chip:dunno:

13. MGman

MGman

My G22 has the same mark and it's BRAND NEW not even used/fired. I can tell I'll peen just by visually looking at it. -(seems to be the area that takes "the hit"

Seems to be an issue with the .40 Glocks.....or others?

These posts always make me think that the .40 Glocks should have been revamped completely for this powerful round; not just be from the Glock 17/19 platform.

I can understand why some say best/reliable Glocks are the 17 and 19, because all others were made around them. The 9mm Glocks set the standard while all other calibers are mocked up from them; not revamped and re-engineered.

Hope the Gen4 .40s are better than their predecessors. I did have a G23 long ago; great pistol but I still think re-engineering toward the .40 would still be best.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010