close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Excellent overall woods gun for camping and hunting!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MCNETT, Oct 7, 2002.

1. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

I purchased a Puma 92 lever action rifle last Thursday in .454 Casull. What a nice gun! It is a carbine w/ a 20"bbl and the fit and finish is on par with any Marlin or Win that I have owned or seen.

This is where it gets interesting. The chronograph does not lie. I ran 13 different .454 loads through (260gr- 405gr) it and got an average velocity increase of 518fps!!! In short, I was able to get 2200fps from a 300LBT and 2550fps from a 185 GSHP! Also, I was able to shoot .45 LC from it as well. I sent 5 different loads through the chrono and got an average velocity increase of 244fps. Nice deer and elk gun. Also a fun rifle to have around the camp. I was able to penetrate half inch plate steel with three different cast loads! Also, it will make a great companion to my .454 SRH.

I thought that you people might want to know about this rifle, since I had never heard of it before I bought it.
    -Mike

2. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Puma, isn't that South American made.

More details - sounds great.

3. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I played with one earlier this year in .44mag. We were giving one away at our local NWTF banquet and I really liked the fit and feel of this gun. Glad to hear you had good luck with it!