close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Excel trouble? Please help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bryan cc tx, Feb 14, 2005.

1. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

I got this message while trying to open up an Excel document I made at work. "'FA.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."

I have made other doc. at work and they transfer just fine. I put in about 5 hours worth of work into this spreadsheet, I would rather not do it again. Is there another way to get this information from my 3.5 disk. I have win WP prof.

My A: drive keeps on sounding like it keeps reading for a really long time then the above message comes up? Any ideas?

2. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Make sure the disk is not have the Write protect enabled.
    (JIC - Look at back of disk - Should be a little sliding Tab - and more than likely a picture of a Lock. - Tab should be next to open lock)
    Try to read the floppy in another PC.

3. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

well it was locked, I unlocked it and tried again...still nothing. I won't be able to try it at another computer until Thursday, so unless there is any other suggestions I'l just re-write the damn ****** program.

Any ideas as to why this happened?;6 ;6 ;6 ;6 ;6 ;6

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

It sounds like your floppy disk might be bad or at least have some bad sectors. Try a few other disks in that drive ... if you can read other disks in the drive then you know it’s the disk. I know that it doesn’t help you now but you should always save critical data twice, in two different locations. I would always save it to the hard drive first. If you must use floppy disks to transfer data then you should use more then one, remember that they are easily damaged and you should never use the same one too many times.

5. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

Thanks Sgt. and Clyde, Sgt. I'll start taking your advice and saving my information "ready for transport" twice.:)

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

USB drives are really nice for that and they really outlast floppies. they also hold more data and transfer data much faster.

7. huaco

huaco

We don't use floppies much anymore but I've always told my folks not to open data files on floppies with applications. Copy the data file to the hard drive and then open it. If it won't copy then you have a problem with the floppy or drive. Try another drive if available.

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Huaco said it for me!

Good call.