Excel spreadsheet experts, help me!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by magic, Jan 6, 2010.

1. magic

magic Mean Old Man

I looked through help and searched the net, I just can't find what I'm looking for. I need to reference a group of cells in a workbook from a different sheet. I basically need to reference the whole column, but the ability to select a group of adjoining cells would be nice. I just want to make it so I can change the same group of numbers in multiple sheets simply by adjusting the main sheet. Is that something I can do?

2. Swanny

Swanny Raconteur

Use VLOOKUP.

If you need Excel help, Mr. Excel's website is a great resource.

3. FLGUY

FLGUY Guest

If I correctly understand what you are trying to do...for example, let's say you have a column of numbers in Sheet1 that you want referenced in Sheet2. Go into Sheet2 enter an equal sign = into a cell where you want a specific cell from Sheet1 referenced, then click into Sheet1, enter the appropriate cell that you want referenced then press the Enter key. The value from the selected cell in Sheet1 will now be referenced into the cell in Sheet2. Continue the process until all cells have been referenced. Hope this helps.

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

What he said. You can also, assuming the cells are adjacent in both sheets, add the value to one and then simply highlight down and use Ctrl+D to fill.

If you don't want to use the click method the actual code is "=SheetX!CellName" where X = the sheet number and CellName is the Name of the cell.

So to add the value contained in Cell A1 of Sheet 1 you would use "=Sheet1!A1"

Normal Excel limiters like $ etc. can also be applied to these references to.

5. magic

magic Mean Old Man

Thank you all for the replies. This was however, exactly what I was looking for. I could get one cell no problem, the fill command is what saved the day.

Thank you VERY MUCH! Hey, I think this was my first post of the year.......so, HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!