Glock Talk banner

Exactly what I was looking for thanks Marlin!

7843 Views 118 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  ancy
Been looking to suppress a 357 lever gun for years now and it looks like Marlin was just listening to me. All the info I have and I hope it's all I been dreaming of!

Sorry for crappy pics all I could get and have one on pre-order.
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

· Registered
5,789 Posts
Interesting. I'll be waiting for a range report after you get a chance. :cheers:

These lever guns are the original pistol caliber carbines for me. I have yet to tread down the suppressor path, but this looks good for those that have. I'd consider one just for the stainless steel and loading gate.

I'm truly hoping that Freedom Group is starting to get their act together. It's a shame than an iconic name like Marlin has been drug through the gutter over the last several years.

· Registered
90 Posts
My understanding is that this rifle is brand new for 2018 and not even officially announced. Was first "leaked" as photos of the 2018 Marlin catalog about a week or two ago. I think patience is still needed for availability and details.

Rob

· Registered
628 Posts
What kind of terminal ballistics do you get out of a 18" with .357?
You can get close to 2000 fps with 158gr handloads. My deer round was a 158gr XTP FP with a max load of Lil'gun. Great brush gun kills them just as dead as my 308, you want to use FP or SP rounds and avoid hollowpoints, they are not made for the increased velocity you get from a carbine.

· Registered
204 Posts
I haven't had any luck finding a silencer that's magnum rated... granted i havent looked super hard.
Griffin's Optimus is rated for 357 magnum. It's what I plan to use if I pick up one of these 1894CST. The Optimus is similar to the Liberty Mystic in that it is also a rifle rated can that can do pistols as well. I use my Optimus on 22lr, 9mm and.308 right now.

· Registered
14,519 Posts
I can't find any info on them like they aren't even real. I'm a little worried about forking over $900 for a rifle I can't see and feel though. Anyone use 357mag for deer or coyote hunting? I've loaded up some 180 grain coated lead right at 1050fps out of my 10" T/C not sure how they'll do out of 16.5". My nephew is hitting a huge dealer show next weekend and I hope to get a report.
You can always get the barrel threaded by a competent gunsmith. I had all my Handi Rifles and some Contender barrels threaded. Cost was $50/barrel, and it took a week.

A flash suppressor makes a handy thread protector (and for some reason are much cheaper than your normal thread protectors).

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My understanding is that this rifle is brand new for 2018 and not even officially announced. Was first "leaked" as photos of the 2018 Marlin catalog about a week or two ago. I think patience is still needed for availability and details.

Rob
My nephew works at a gun shop and it's on dealer ordering pages for pre-orders. He told me $900 but I'm stuck with it as do not plan on stocking it. Two big reasons I'm really into it is I'm a lefty and like the leveraction for a locked breech gun and suppressed 357 is legal for deer in Iowa which should be perfect for my young boys to shoot. My nephew heads to a huge dealer show next weekend and I would think they'll have it there to check out.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Griffin's Optimus is rated for 357 magnum. It's what I plan to use if I pick up one of these 1894CST. The Optimus is similar to the Liberty Mystic in that it is also a rifle rated can that can do pistols as well. I use my Optimus on 22lr, 9mm and.308 right now.
Is the Optimus a rifle can like the Hybrid or a pistol can like the Mystic. I believe I looked at it when I bought mine but couldn't be found anywhere. I almost bought the Hybrid to suppress my 1895 but read 45-70 doesn't suppress well and I wouldn't have the can in time for next season. This 1894 is just perfect for the can I have and love loading for 38/357.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I wouldn't do the Henry purely because you'd have to remove the silencer every time you went to load.
I didn't have any real options till now. Was looking at a 3 lug mount for easy on and off to load plus Henry's are one hell of a lever gun. I just hope the Marlin comes out nice not sure I'm sold on painted black wood on a $900 gun.

· Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,535 Posts
Lever action rifles really ring my bell! I'd love to get an 1894 in 357 mag. The 1894 that I have was a lucky purchase in 44 Magnum. They're hard to find.

Your rifle looks terrific! Be sure to keep us posted with range reports!

Flash

· Triggered!
1,345 Posts
It's about time Marlin re-introduced the 1894 in .357! Hopefully, they've got all the bugs worked out of their new production guns. I've got one in .45 Colt. Took a trip to the gunsmith to just get the action to cycle.
If the .357 is available I'll snag one eventually, even if I have to take it to a smith to get it to run. I love the ergonomics of the 1894 and .357 is my favorite caliber.

· Huge Member
12,372 Posts
I have Marlins in 35 Rem, 375 Win and 44 mag, all got back in the day when prices were reasonable.

With lever gun prices being crazy these days I'm hoping Ruger will bring out their American Ranch Rifle in 357 and 44 mag. Those would make great little rifles and suppressor hosts since they are already threaded.

Reactions: 315
21 - 40 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.