Everyone, Please Read - When the Religious Issues forum was created it came with this description...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by RussP, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

When the Religious Issues forum was created it came with this description:

Religious Issues - Here is a place for those religious/philosophical discussions. This topic doesn't have much of a place in a firearm's-related forum, in my opinion, but if people want to talk about it, I will give them a place to do so, if they mind their manners.
    I believe many, no, it is not 'many', it's only a few that have forgotten five important words found at the end of Eric's description: "...if they mind their manners."

By definition, mind your manners is a defined or customary way of behaving, which demonstrates both self-respect and respect for others in individual and group social interactions. It could also be called using good manners.

Let me repeat this part: "...which demonstrates both self-respect and respect for others...". That seems simple enough, right?

Here on Glock Talk, we have "Rules of Conduct" and "Terms and Rules - Content Standards" setting out acceptable ways of behaving. You have all read them, but here are some key points.

Glock Talk Rules of Conduct #2 and #3: No foul language; No rude or abusive language and No flame wars are allowed here. It is possible to disagree with someone without getting rude.​

That is pretty simple. For those unfamiliar with 'flame wars', here's a good definition.

A flame war is a heated argument between two individuals, that results in those involved posting personal attacks on each other during or instead of debating the topic at hand.

Most forums have rules that forbid flaming. This is because the quality of conversation on a forum can be seriously degraded by a flame war. Topics can be "hijacked" by two people who would rather flame each other than discuss the subject of the thread.​

Contained in the Terms and Rules are these two points.
    User Contributions and Submissions must not contain: any defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable material or statements; cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person (including engaging in activity that makes you a high-maintenance user to our staff).
    Eric opened Religious issues with one requirement, members must mind their manners. In other words, behaving in ways which demonstrate both self-respect and respect for others.

That means:
    • Valuing each other's points of views.
    • Being open to being wrong.
    • Accepting people as they are.
    • Not dumping on someone because you're having a bad day.
    • Being polite and kind always because being kind to people is not negotiable.
    • Not dissing people because they're different to you.
    • Not gossiping about people or spreading lies.

If you find that one condition, minding your manners is just too difficult, then please, find another website about religion where the rules, or lack thereof, fits your style better.

It is up to each of you individually to decide what you want to do.

I truly hope all decide to mind your manners...

RussP

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    powernoodle and n2g like this.
  2. RussP

A new member posted about an issue which no one can dispute does create problems. Here is our exchange:
    This is that thread.

It will be closed until I can address some of FinallyGlock's points.

3. RussP

The civility level in RI has risen dramatically in the last week. I thank all of you for that.

Besides civility, interjecting opposing opinion just for the sake of disrupting threads with specific topics is a real problem as well. At least one person here has said as much. When one person jumps in, others follow. The threads often go off topic in one or more new directions.

Parties on all sides are guilty of these hijackings.

What is the solution?

4. RussP

Along the same line as above, are these reasons shared by others of you. I've edited his post into bullet points.

5. RussP

I don't believe it will come to that. More on this later.

6. RussP

As I said earlier, we are working on civility. You make another important point: "...I said, saw myself behaving badly and took a break..."

That was a good move. If more people did that, life would be more pleasant.

"But this one was just too over the top for me, had to speak politely and call out what I saw as yet another attack on Christians by generalizing..."

Understandable, and it, "generalizing", happens on all sides.

7. RussP

Behavior is important. Banning members who are really good contributors when only their manners suck is not always best. And, it isn't always that one member's fault...

These days, we'll give someone a chance to change their ways, maybe even two. Hopefully, that's all it takes. If not, yeah, they will be banned.

Back to the original topic... Do we need a way for members holding specific beliefs to have a discussion without opposing beliefs challenging them ALL the time?

8. RussP

Before last Wednesday at 10:29 PM when I posted "Everyone, Please Read - When the Religious Issues forum was created it came with this description...", behavior had reached a pretty overwhelming level. Since then, members behavior has been very acceptable.

9. RussP

And that's the quandary. How do you enforce off-topic tangents?

10. RussP

It's all about personal responsibility...

11. RussP

New and 'seasoned' members, please read the original post.

Be civil in your discussions.

Do not demean and/or insult another member's competence or level of education. Flaunt your own if you wish, and congratulations for achieving it. Just do not insult another's.

And do not insult another to 'invite' him or her into a fight.

Attack the topic, not the member posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.