Ever worn a Glock out?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Grovenator, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Grovenator

Grovenator

Just wondering if anyone here has ever worn a GLOCK out. Or any other pistol, for that matter. I don't mean shot it a bit loose and it kinda wanders around a bit on paper, I mean you flat wore it out! It simply broke something and completely malfed, quit hitting primers hard enough to go bang or some other disabling malf.. I'm talking about something that could be directly attributed to wear, not manufacturer's defect.

JBnTX and Doc McGlock like this.
  2. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

What a great question! :goodpost: I think I'll pull up a chair and listen!

3. texandave

texandave

I've got over 10k rounds through my gen3 17 - all original parts. Never had any problems or failures to date.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I work as a Police Science instructor and the school has several 17s (and S&W M&P 9s) . I bought them in 2004 and each one sees about 1500 rounds a year.

The only thing I've ever replaced is a few RSAs. They work as well as when they were new and still as accurate. Standard maintenance by the students after each use and at the end of each year, I take them completely down.

G19 DB likes this.
  5. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I doubt too many conscience people are going to shoot their guns in that condition. People that know how to find their bum with two hands prolly relegate their guns to paper weights when they get that worn out. Thing with Glocks, though; it's easy and inexpensive to keep that sucker trudging on.

6. Gifford

Gifford

Just got a new glock. Glock 19 gen 4. Are there any upgrades that I should do or not do to this gun. I like it the way it is but some of my friends say I should do this and that to it but I would like more input.

7. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misanthrope

I have put a whole lot of ammo through Glocks. But I always maintain them. Sonic cleaning once a year. Springs replaced on a maintenance schedule. When a statistically significant amount start to see similar malfunctions we trade them out for new ones and start all over again.

8. Koba

Koba

It's your gun, not theirs. If you like it, leave it be. Glock made a fully functional gun from the factory (in theory), if you change nothing that is still true

9. satisfied

satisfied

Any modification you perform is going to go against hundreds or thousands of hours of R&D by some german guy who makes more money than 99.9% of the forum here. He knows more than you, or I, and probably especially, your friends. He knew how to design a pistol that will last a lifetime, and some furry who really likes anime is no match for the team of anal retentive german dudes they have back in Austria.

That being said, if you want to mod it, mod it, but there's nothing wrong with them from the factory (anymore.)

Detectorist, PSC617, JBnTX and 4 others like this.
  10. GRR

GRR

You can always replace stuff, like Grandpa's axe. We've replaced the head twice and the handle 3 times, but its still Grandpa's axe.

11. Gifford

Gifford

The
    The one thing I wouldn't mind changing is the trigger pull. Just seems too heavy

12. Gifford

Gifford

The trigger is the one thing that I notice that I wouldn't mind changing. Any suggestions on that

13. satisfied

satisfied

I like ghost, and zev for trigger parts.

14. Illyia Kuryakin

Illyia Kuryakin

CAN one wear out a Glock? I have a G19 I purchased new in 1989 that has shot innumerable rounds...at least 45,000 and to be honest I can't say it looks or performs any different than it did the day I bought it!
    REVOLVERS can be "worn out" due to timing and alignment issues, but Glocks... I doubt many have ever worn one out!

15. danbocog

danbocog

Have a Gen2 G22 bought in 1992. With an estimated 60,000+ rounds of mostly hand loads. Still shoot it weekly.
    I admit to playing with a lot of springs and connectors to improve the trigger and polishing with a dremel.
    A OEM 4.5lb connector [aka 3.5lb] is a must for me and the .25 cent trigger job should make it smoother and a little lighter.

16. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

I just bought a G19 gen 4 a week ago and have put over two million rounds through it and it runs just as good now as when I bought it.:couch:

17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

:upeyes:

There is a major flaw in this nonsense. The guns are designed on a budget, and to be mass produced. If they were truly designed as you suggest, they would cost 4 times what they do. They continuously find ways to cut costs to make a profit, and there are manufacturers that make parts that are better than OEM, but then there are also a lot of gimmicks and junk out there to boot.

18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I have a USPSA race gun built on a Caspian frame. At about the 80-85 thousand mark, I broke the locking lug off the top of the barrel. Consider though, this was 80K+ of very hot 9x21 ammo, launching a 125 grain 9mm at about 1470 FPS (hotter than average .357 magnum). With a new barrel and compensator (this time in .38 super), it's still going strong at well over 100K.

happie2shoot likes this.
  19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Let someone borrow my G-27 at the range and he was firing it when the slide lock spring broke.
    Fixed it, that's about it.

20. John Biltz

John Biltz

You can wear an RSA out. I did that once and since I replace them every 5,000 rounds I was surprised it was failing with just a few thousand rounds through it. The cycling time was really slow. I also had a slide lock spring break on one.

A RSA is like an air filter or oil filter on a car to me. They are only meant to be used so long and if you are smart you replace them on schedule. Magazines are like tires, they wear out.