close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever wanted the challenge of shooting a dairy cow?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Quake Guy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

2. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

This wasn't you, was it?

Sounds to me like two slob hunters went on a slob hunt.

Lots of poor planning followed by a dose of guilt.

They need some practice at the shooting range.

Irresponsible not to pursue the permit to take the meat home.

When they first saw the situation, they should have called a halt and asked for a refund.

There are enough slob hunters out there with that kind of money in their pockets that these kinds of places exist.

3. TexAg

TexAg

All of it sounds like BS to me. Probably written by the Humae Society or someone linked to them. Notice how nearly every animal they killed was shot more than once?

4. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

No, my Elk Hunting Trips may end up like hell, but they are honest. If I was going to spend $9k on Elk Hunting, I would buy a horse to carry my sorry *** around Colorado instead of huffing it.

These guys didn't ask the right questions or were lied too. Then they made bad decisions. If I had ended up there, I would have at most gotten the bear and buffalo because the scenarios under which they were shot are pretty common in the lower 48. Bears are often baited and this seems to have taken place outside of a pen. As for the buffalo, well its a buffalo. There was a reason why the pioneers could shoot the same herd all day without moving. Its really just an alternative to a Cow being whacked with a hammer at a meat processing plant. Plus the bison meat was the most valuable.

I think baiting and feeders are all ethical as it could be considered just doing the prework of hunting, setting a trap so to speak. However, once you pen them in and not even give them the choice of feeding somewhere else?

If you go to: http://www.bearvalleyoutfitters.com/costs.htm

They mention:
    Ranch Style Hunting 6000 Acres

And if 6000 is split up into 10+ enclosures of flat land.

Also, TexAg, how often does a large game animal get shot and run off to die in cover, even if its only 30 seconds later. Well, if its totally open, its just bouncing off the fences which allows you to get more shots in vs. you normally wouldn't have that opportunity in the wild.

I found this one a hunting forum and the guy that posted seem genuine, believe it if you want. But these operations do exist. And if you want to think its hunting, well that's your right.

5. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

You will NEVER see me spending anywhere close to that kind of money just to pull the trigger on an animal of that stature, especially while there are whitetail deer around here that are so plentiful and cheap. I agree with the person above that said they think this might have been written by the anti-hunting group. There are numberous inconsistencies in the story. I know there are places like this all over the world, so I'm not disputing that. However, I think either the person is embellishing the story, or is taking a story of someone else along with thier pictures and twisting it to show incompetance of the hunters. Of course they threw in just enough moral delemna talk to make it sound plausable to not set off too many bells...

6. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

If I began the season with a $9000 hunting budget here is how it would be spent.

$20 - Deer tag (2 Buck/10 Antlerless)
    $12.99 - Box of .270 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt
    $2.99 - Safety whistle (I lost mine)
    $8964.02 - New ATV w/trailer for next season

7. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

I'll second that.

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

Tag prices are a little different here. My ammo selection would be slightly different. I would opt for a call rather than a safety whistle. But other than that I would have pretty much the same budget.

9. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I'd put part of it towards a couple Smith & Wesson revolvers, some toward ammo, part of it towards a laser boresightier, and part toward a new ATV (And a hunting license of course.).

;g

;8 ;I